I'm Doing Resumes Again

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: I'm Doing Resumes Again

Post by xsbank »

I am presently in Desolation Sound bobbing at anchor in a very quiet (non-party) cove. I will be back in "civilization" in September sometime and if anyone needs my services then I'll post. Sorry but I can't help it...8^)
---------- ADS -----------

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Some of you have been asking for resume help and I am trying to decide if I am still doing that...sounds strange but they do take up a lot of my time and the fees I've been charging are probably not even paying for the new computer and software I had to buy to modernize.

99% of you, my clients, have been good about paying the fee, only one stiffed me and I'm trying to decide if I should "out" him on here because he won't reply to me. I'm not starving as a result but I definitely think he's probably the sort who would break an employer bond! One out of a multitude is pretty good odds and I'm certainly not bitter!

The rest of my clients have been good but too few of you bother to let me know how you are making out but some tell me regularly how they are progressing in their careers and I get a vicarious thrill out of your successes.

While I'm trying to decide, here are a few old-fashioned tips for your career: practise your handshake! A limp, wet hand is a sign that you don't give a... Also, look them in the eye when you shake. Amazing how important this is! Practice it on your wife or girlfriend or your bartender.

Groom yourself! Wash, cut your hair, polish your shoes, don't wear the shirt with the spaghetti stains. If you've got facial hair, make sure it's neatly trimmed. Stand up straight - you are a Captain, right? Be very polite to the receptionist, her opinion counts and might get you hired. In fact, remember her name and send her a thank you note. If she's really nice, send her a gift. It really helps.

If you're going for a bush job, clean chinos, practical jacket (leather is not practical) a good pair of work gloves and worn but not baked work boots. Lots of good uniform type shirts good for loading (I don't think a white shirt with epaulettes is probably appropriate). Something to keep you warm.

Practise your approach in front of a camera or a critical friend. It took me a week of practicing in front of a video camera before I thought I was good enough to teach a course, which I had to do in an interview. Winston Churchill said "...it takes hours of practise to be spontaneous..."

Don't neglect this part of your career. Basic skills are not taught in school and so someone has to tell you or you have to learn by observation.

I'll let you know.

"What's it doing now?"
Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

Based on some of the resumes I see, I suggest everyone take XSBank up on his offer.

Nothing worse than a terrible resume which will get it binned right off the bat.

dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dannyjet »

Hello xsbank, I am also interested but unable to PM you. Please send me a message so I may contact you. Thank you.

Golddigger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Golddigger »

Hello Xsbank , I would also like to contact you about my CV unable to PM at this time please send me a message so I can reply .

Thank you

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Things are a little out of hand around here, so I regret to inform all you who have requested resumes from me that I'm still unable to "do" any.

I will post here once that changes but for the time being, sorry.

Check over your work, check spelling and grammar (read it over out loud - does it SOUND right?)

If one word will do instead of two, use it.

Don't hide what you have, it's just like that essay you wrote in school, remember that crappy mark because you filled it up with nonsense? Get to the point. If you write anything that does not get your message across, delete it. You are a pilot not a copy writer, don't mess with stuff you don't understand.

Don't tell them your hopes and dreams and your career plans and how young you were when you first wanted to fly their junk, tell them what you are offering and that they can buy your labour and they'll be lucky to get you.

Don't ever forget, even if you work the dock or are cleaning shitters now, you are a Captain, a Professional Pilot. Act like one.

So long, Leonard. "...There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."

"What's it doing now?"
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

So what you're saying is that the fee just went up? :)

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Maybe next year. I was thinking of charging a percentage of your first year's salary, before taxes, at your new job. In advance. Cash only.

"What's it doing now?"
Keppen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Keppen »

Wouldn't mind someone taking a look; Pilot/AME here curious if you have any experience with that? Looking for the bush/overseas.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I have had a few requests for resumes. I have about a month available before the year goes crazy and I do my annual bob in the Royal Barge. This year we are planning to explore the Broughtons and that will mean departing once the weather becomes tolerable (late this year on the coast, very similar to all the rest of Canada). There is virtually no coverage there so I will be cut off.

Anyway, if anyone needs a resume "doing," send me a PM and I'll tell you where to send it to. I haven't paid for my software upgrade yet so you will be contributing to that. I am not sure what the rate will be yet but I will tell you when you ask! You will receive a resume and cover with all the stuff you provide to me, in a Word or Pages format, which you can edit and check for typos and convert to PDF format yourselves. I use email transfer for the fee when the process is complete and I usually need a week or less to do them.

Please don't send me a PDF format document as I can't edit it.

TTFN

"What's it doing now?"
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Well, that went over like a pregnant pole-vaulter!

I guess my services are only needed when the music is waning, not when times are good. Make the best of it! Get your night time and PIC, as much multi time as possible for when it all poops out again.

"What's it doing now?"
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I've had a couple of enquiries, I made the effort to reply and......nothing. At least have the common courtesy to say "thanks but no thanks." Would it be rude of me to say that maybe that's why you are under-employed, because you don't know what common courtesy is?

Haven't I heard lots of ranting about companies that never reply to an offered resume? Helloooo.

I'm done. I'm off to Europe, not on expenses and not tied to a hotel waiting til 5:00 until I can have a Guinness...Woohoo!

Have a nice career everyone!

"What's it doing now?"

Return to “Employment Forum”