RAIC use

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FenceSitter
Rank 1
Rank 1

RAIC use

Post by FenceSitter »

Most of the people who will read this either have a RAIC or have had a RAIC. It's impossible to work in aviation without one. I have a question and would like to hear from as many people as possible in regards to a response. When does RAIC use become RAIC abuse and if a mistake is made is it a teaching point or a disciplinary issue?
My question comes from a friend of mine who used the RAIC to open a sliding door so they could speak with an agent regarding a commuting flight. The person had just finished their last leg and was waiting to get onto a commuter flight home but there was no agent at the top of the gate. The RAIC was used to swipe the sliding door open and speak to an agent on the bridge. The person who used the RAIC had gone through employee screening earlier that day and had not left the secure area. It seems that the situation is being termed a "security breach" as it would appear that is how the agent labelled it in their report.
In my poking around on this interweb thing I found this... http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/Ai ... 88061.html .
There are a lot of smart and experienced people in here and I hope to pick a few brains.
---------- ADS -----------

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: RAIC use

Post by infiniteregulus »

If I was gate-side, officially done my shift, and commuting home, I wouldn't be opening any security doors. Seems a little hasty or entitled to do so.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

A RAIC is only allowed to get you where you NEED to be. He may have WANTED to get his question answered by the person on the other side of the closed door, but he didn't need to be there.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

If you aren't operating you can't just open a jetbridge and walk down towards an aircraft. It doesn't matter if you work for the airline or not. If you're deadheading or commuting you must always present a boarding card and photo ID. Period. The RAIC is not a right to have a free-for-all at the airport.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Only OK to use your raic and walk right past the randomiser at security if you're CBSA going to Tim Horton's in the domestic terminal. They have a NEED for donuts and coffee while sitting down afterall.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Altiplano the sooner you realize that in human society rules are not meant to apply to anyone involved in enforcing them, the better off you'll be. CATSA and CBSA are there to ENFORCE rules, not follow them.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

CATSA... must find all available lounge chairs and/or seating

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

ahramin wrote:Altiplano the sooner you realize that in human society rules are not meant to apply to anyone involved in enforcing them, the better off you'll be. CATSA and CBSA are there to ENFORCE rules, not follow them.
Haha...

Believe me, I realise it - f'n hypocrites... Patients are running the asylum...

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Oxi wrote:CATSA... must find all available lounge chairs and/or seating
I think they were more excited than I was the other day when I got the green arrow. Don't get
up boys, it's ok! I got green!

gasbag1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gasbag1 »

Your RAIC is only to be used while you are ON DUTY. When you get off the aircraft at the end of your Duty period, end of your pairing or layover your off duty. That's the way security looks at your RAIC privileges So even though you might still be in secure area your RAIC privileges are suspended until you again start duty.

It is fairly straightforward. Common sense is not found when we talk about CATSA or Airport Security/RAIC offices in Canada.

Return to “WestJet”