Sky regional

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Sky regional

Post by Kosiw »

One would guess the ad is aimed at Porter Cpt/FOs looking at jumping across the ramp for the opportunity to get on the Embraer jets, even if the Qs are leaving by the new yr, they would not have to wait long.

Is movement at SKV so fast they are caught that short of Q400 Cpts ??
---------- ADS -----------

Gravity always wins
A V I A T O
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by A V I A T O »

How are the flight benefits at SKV for family and spouse? Recip Jumpseat program with other carriers?

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Kosiw wrote:One would guess the ad is aimed at Porter Cpt/FOs looking at jumping across the ramp for the opportunity to get on the Embraer jets, even if the Qs are leaving by the new yr, they would not have to wait long.

Is movement at SKV so fast they are caught that short of Q400 Cpts ??
Perhaps a short term solution for all of those going to AC or onto the EMB from the Q spots?

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

A V I A T O wrote:How are the flight benefits at SKV for family and spouse? Recip Jumpseat program with other carriers?
Air Canada C4 passes, same as other express carriers (spouse, children, parents etc). Many Recip Jumpseats.

The Q captains are bridging the gap between now and the Q fleet retirement some time in the new year, then will transfer to the EMB. Lots of movement on both fleets, 2 leaving for every mainline class + many others going elsewhere.

PROC_HDG

Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

Does SKV have a PICUS program in place, or have one in the works?

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Saw the new career section on their website. What are my chances of getting in with close to 1600 TT with around 50 multi and ATPL exams complete?

Can any one shed light on what the latest new hires have for experience?

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

iflyroads wrote:Saw the new career section on their website. What are my chances of getting in with close to 1600 TT with around 50 multi and ATPL exams complete?

With your time, you will have to have a pretty good inside reference. Most FOs in the last few ground schools have had 2000-4000 hours on average. A lot of 703/704 captains and some 705 FOs.

Best of luck,

PROC_HDG

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

PROC_HDG wrote:
iflyroads wrote:Saw the new career section on their website. What are my chances of getting in with close to 1600 TT with around 50 multi and ATPL exams complete?

With your time, you will have to have a pretty good inside reference. Most FOs in the last few ground schools have had 2000-4000 hours on average. A lot of 703/704 captains and some 705 FOs.

Best of luck,

PROC_HDG

Ah I see.. Thanks :)

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

What is the hiring outlook at sky for the rest of this year and into 2017?

FAD3C
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FAD3C »

goleafsgo wrote:What is the hiring outlook at sky for the rest of this year and into 2017?
I'm also interested to see what their outlook is, considering their shuffling due to the Qs going to Jazz and now more EMBs coming for the new year.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 7&t=110802

It looks like from their recent job ad, they are running courses until the end of 2016 for FO's on the 175.

FAD3C
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FAD3C »

loopa wrote:http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopi ... 7&t=110802

It looks like from their recent job ad, they are running courses until the end of 2016 for FO's on the 175.
I know of a course this month and another one in November. Haven't heard about December or the new year.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Any update on SR hiring into '17 ?

Expansion ? Or are they all done...

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

One more initial Dec 12 then no more initial ground schools until April I believe due to the Q pilots moving to the ERJ.

Daniel Gustin
duro195
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by duro195 »

Anybody knows how/if the selection process changed since they implemented the online application form? Do they still look at people emailing their resume? I'd like to work there but I don't have any internal ref...do they often hire people who don't have one? I know it's not as big as Jazz, but I'm wondering if the CP has time to go through all the resumes or if it's all handled by HR.

I guess they receive boat loads of applications with such an interesting fleet, but I'm just trying to figure out how one can better his chances of getting his noticed. It may not be a 705-captain-amount-of-time, but I have 2500TT ATPL 1000+ PIC 2200+Turbine so that seems to fit the average PROC_HDG posted back in August.

Thanks!

FAD3C
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FAD3C »

I think they're done hiring for the year since all their Q400 pilots will have to transfer over. Recently they were taking in candidates with 3000+ or less than that but with Jet time. Just something I heard.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Anyone with an update for SKV in 2017 regarding fleet and hiring.

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

dhc# wrote:Anyone with an update for SKV in 2017 regarding fleet and hiring.
A number of courses have been planned for Sky Regional Q400 pilots to transfer onto the E175, the first of which began recently. Transfer courses for Q400 pilots will run until late March/early April.

I believe the next ground school for external hires is planned in early April, although it's unclear if potential candidates have already been interviewed for these positions. I'd expect that ground school to be made up of predominantly YYZ-based FOs as it's the lesser-staffed of the two bases at present. I'd also expect that hiring of direct-entry E175 captains will slow or cease in the short term as there is a larger pool of qualified FOs now who will be eligible for upgrades.

Hiring for E175 FOs seems to be focused on candidates who have some 704/705 captain experience (lots of ex-B1900/Metro/Dash/etc. captains), those with jet time, or a combination of the two. Experience in terms of total time seems to vary but I'd expect around 3000 hours with the majority being PIC and/or jet time to be competitive.

An additional five E175s are being acquired now as the Q400s are being transferred to Jazz, which will bring the total to 25 Embraers. I'd expect additional routes to be added out of both Toronto and Montreal beginning in the Spring of 2017. All signs seem to indicate that expansion will continue for the foreseeable future with additional Embraers being added to the fleet, but on what timeline is hard to say.

Additionally, a new TOE is in the process of being rolled out which will see modest increases in salary, RRSP matching, and per diems; as well as an additional guaranteed day off per month (moving from 10 to 11 GDOs). As well, three years are being added to the top end of the captain pay scale which will see it move from a 5-year to an 8-year pay scale. Several of other minor changes but these are the main highlights.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Some people told me the working atmosphere is bad there, is it true?

pilotguy2017
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotguy2017 »

From what I've heard, stay away.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”