FPML

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

FPML

Post by BingBong »

Announced today....

FPML is posted on JazzNet Memo's

Coles notes:
- "Up to" 80% from CPA carriers, on proportional basis
- No seniority reservation
- No FIP
- Carrier jumping to jump the queue for a shorter list discouraged by policy
- 6 month travel probation waived for employees with valid travel privileges.

- 2000TT min with ATPL
---------- ADS -----------

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: FPML

Post by atphat »

What is FIP?

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

So that means:
~ 20% OTS (or greater, depending on the meaning of 'up to80%)
~ 64% from Jazz ( 80% of 80%..)
~ 16% from Sky and GGN

Sound about right?

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

mmm..bacon wrote:So that means:
~ 20% OTS (or greater, depending on the meaning of 'up to80%)
~ 64% from Jazz ( 80% of 80%..)
~ 16% from Sky and GGN

Sound about right?
Or worse down to 0 % from the connectors is it possible ???

The "Up to" wording should be a big red flag.

Maxpwr
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Maxpwr »

You might see the number drop as the AC express pilot numbers dwindle.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

Or to preserve the schedule at express they might close the floodgates here and there.

Shibby
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shibby »

May Actually keep the numbers up at the express Carriers as the Carrot is very much there and being dangled.

Those thinking of jumping ship to Transat, Sunwing, or Team Teal or any overseas gig may wait until they know if AC will scoop them up or not.

To my understanding every Express carrier determines their own in-house policy for eligibility to AC. After meeting the AC criteria of ATPL and 2000 hours of course.

So each CPA can do as they please. Easy for AC and smart, They now know where to pick the majority of their pilots throughout the mass retirement numbers/fleet renewal.

It'll be interesting to see what the ratio ends up being exactly.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

Will only find out thru here say. No watchdog is in play

BTyyj
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BTyyj »

With this sort of agreement in place, would one be better off targeting companies like CMA, Porter, EIC, Pasco, etc. to try get 705 captain time, rather than going to Jazz, Air Georgian, Sky Regional?

I'm glad I'm not judgmental like all you smug, superficial idiots
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

BTyyj wrote:With this sort of agreement in place, would one be better off targeting companies like CMA, Porter, EIC, Pasco, etc. to try get 705 captain time, rather than going to Jazz, Air Georgian, Sky Regional?
No, more like WJ, Transat, Sunwing

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

BTyyj wrote:With this sort of agreement in place, would one be better off targeting companies like CMA, Porter, EIC, Pasco, etc. to try get 705 captain time, rather than going to Jazz, Air Georgian, Sky Regional?
The most junior captain at Jazz is 18 months, this coming year will likely have upgrades under a year, given the amount of hiring at AC. So, you would get 705 PIC and a guaranteed interview for AC, how would any of the companies you mentioned get you to AC sooner.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the new level of poverty pay at the regionals but common sense tells me you're better off with a guaranteed interview, rather than a crapshoot.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

mbav8r wrote:
The most junior captain at Jazz is 18 months, this coming year will likely have upgrades under a year, given the amount of hiring at AC. So, you would get 705 PIC and a guaranteed interview for AC, how would any of the companies you mentioned get you to AC sooner.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the new level of poverty pay at the regionals but common sense tells me you're better off with a guaranteed interview, rather than a crapshoot.
If I remember correctly, this last bid saw Classic captain go to a November 2015 DOH, and RJ captain went May 2015 DOH. There will be plenty of hiring here at Jazz to fill the 130+ vacancies the last bid showed

Last edited by skypirate88 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

skypirate88 wrote: If I remember correctly, this last bid saw Classic captain go to a November 2015 DOH, and RJ captain went May 2015 DOH. There will be plenty of hiring here at Jazz to fill the 130+ vacancies the last bid showed
Not one, but three YVR Classic Capts that were hired nov 2015.

The OTS will come from 1) Military 2) WJ/AT/SW and not Pasco, CMA etc..

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

Are the Air Ontario guys still bum hurt or will they get DEC on the triple with this new agreement?

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

The FPML makes it clear that AC wants to drive pilots to the xpress brand. The "up to" 80% allows the xpress brands to cope with attrition during future growth but outside of growth periods each xpress player will feed their respective share of the 80%. AC needs regional feed and it needs to be competitive so the path to AC is paved with xpress pilots. OTS will be military approx 6 - 11% some friends and family lets say 2 - 5% so that leaves about 4 - 12% really OTS. The message could not be more clear - want to go to AC make yourself at home in xpress for a couple of years. Want to go to WJ hit Encore. To sit and wait on the sideline in hopes of an interview is time wasted IF your goal is AC or WJ.

flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flymore »

Can any Jazz pilots (at AC OR thinking of going to AC) out there give insight on whether it is worth it to leave Jazz? Just want some thoughts before signing up for the new PML.

I understand that movement is at a feverish pace at Air Canada, but I'm concerned that after leaving Jazz (assuming a successful recruitment process of course), I may be stuck at just that wrong AC seniority number. There's going to be hundreds of new hires before me and they will be getting their picks before my turn comes. And then, the movement slows down at some point in the future. Everyone will pretty much be stuck at where they are and just wait for the next cycle to get things moving again.

It seems a tad pessimistic but there has to be a point where it's too late to move to AC and you're better off just staying where you are with a higher seniority?

Of course, apart from that, any other factors worth looking into such as pay, pension, lifestyle, company culture etc?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I'm not at jazz but just keep in mind that if AC wants to shift flying again down the road the same thing can happen at jazz or worse you can get straight up laid off. If you are young go to AC if you are older jazz isn't the worst thing in the world but who knows if it will exist down the road if your young.

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

Getting life decisions made for ya from Avcanada is pro. If you have to ask, you're really not capable of making important decisions such as those in the left seat.

flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flymore »

AirMail wrote:Getting life decisions made for ya from Avcanada is pro. If you have to ask, you're really not capable of making important decisions such as those in the left seat.
*IGNORE* Let's not destroy this thread.

Any valuable relevant feedback on AC vs Jazz, specially from those who have experienced the difference, would be much appreciated. Thanks to those who have replied already.

Return to “Air Canada”