Surveillance Service vs Radar Service

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Surveillance Service vs Radar Service

Post by Cessna 180 »

I was wondering when and why controllers changed from saying "radar identified" and "radar service terminates" to "identified" and "surveillance service terminates?" (mind you the odd, usually center, controller still says radar) Does this stem from the expectation that ADS-B will become available outside of the polar routes areas in the future?

a side note, i've heard a few controllers (as recently as yesterday in the edmonton fir) using "radar contact" like the US. is this acceptable or are they kinda just doing their own thing?
---------- ADS -----------

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Surveillance Service vs Radar Service

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

Cessna 180 wrote:I was wondering when and why controllers changed from saying "radar identified" and "radar service terminates" to "identified" and "surveillance service terminates?" (mind you the odd, usually center, controller still says radar) Does this stem from the expectation that ADS-B will become available outside of the polar routes areas in the future?
I believe the change was made back in March or April of this year, at the same time we did away with MANOPS. And yes, it's because going forward there will be fewer services provided by actual "radar" stations. i.e. more ADS-B and whatever else the future holds.

Spacedork
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Surveillance Service vs Radar Service

Post by Spacedork »

Radar contact is a hold over. Some can't get rid of the old terminology. It's still valid if not necessarily "correct".

Return to “ATS Question Forum”