Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Liberals to lift foreign ownership of domestic airlines

Post by Ki-ll »

timel wrote:
Ki-ll wrote: I agree, but it makes business sense to pay such wages. People accept them. To me it seems like a problem of supply and demand, so whenever people will stop spending 80k to make 36k we will see improvement in wages.
Did you know when you were training that you salary could be 36k after multiple years in the industry?

Paying the lowest wages of the industry is fun on the short term, but on the long term they always seem to pay the price. We'll see how it works out for them 2-3 years.
I did not, I started my training a decade ago, market was quite different back then.
I agree with you, in 5 years the salary costs at Jazz will go up again, in 10 years they will probably approach the previous levels. So there will be another opportunity for them to recycle the wages with a new contact.
---------- ADS -----------

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

A question, does anyone know how many foreign wet leases will be operating in Canada this winter?

I know there are some varying views on foreign ownership of a Canadian airline company but what about the wet leases that operate here about 50% of the year. It seems that foreign companies out bidding Canadians for this work in Canada is ok so I wonder how that differs from foreign investment?

I realize this is all completely legal, just wondering how investment versus wet leases differs in people's views?

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

Spaceshuttle: you can find that information at: https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/decisions ... 50&=Search

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

Spaceshuttle wrote:A question, does anyone know how many foreign wet leases will be operating in Canada this winter?

I know there are some varying views on foreign ownership of a Canadian airline company but what about the wet leases that operate here about 50% of the year. It seems that foreign companies out bidding Canadians for this work in Canada is ok so I wonder how that differs from foreign investment?

I realize this is all completely legal, just wondering how investment versus wet leases differs in people's views?

A wet lease is short term and investment is long term.

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

Thanks for the link longtimer!

So, the wet leases are not long term versus investment.

If I start my charter ad hoc company, and I bid on the wet leases that are currently ran yearly by the Canadian leisure airlines, would I be competing with the foreign wet leases or would my Canadian company be in front, as I am Canadian company.

If foreign wet leases are not considered long term then how many years have these companies been using these foreign carriers? When are they projecting using Canadian carriers, because I don't see any companies starting up or expanding to fill a need that will not be available to local companies as demonstrated now.

I think foreign investment, money injected into Canadian companies, creates Local pilot jobs. I fail to see how wet leases create Canadian pilot jobs, I see them as limiting the creation of local jobs.

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by florch »

Spaceshuttle wrote:Thanks for the link longtimer!

So, the wet leases are not long term versus investment.

If I start my charter ad hoc company, and I bid on the wet leases that are currently ran yearly by the Canadian leisure airlines, would I be competing with the foreign wet leases or would my Canadian company be in front, as I am Canadian company.

If foreign wet leases are not considered long term then how many years have these companies been using these foreign carriers? When are they projecting using Canadian carriers, because I don't see any companies starting up or expanding to fill a need that will not be available to local companies as demonstrated now.

I think foreign investment, money injected into Canadian companies, creates Local pilot jobs. I fail to see how wet leases create Canadian pilot jobs, I see them as limiting the creation of local jobs.
The idea is that there is back and forth. Canadian pilots and aircraft spend a similar amount of time in Europe as a work exchange. Europe needs Canada in the summer. Canadians need Europeans in the winter. It totally creates jobs that wouldn't be feasible otherwise.

Spaceshuttle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Spaceshuttle »

That is a valid point...I realize Sunwing does send quite a few wet leases overseas, I agree that is helpful to offset these leases, how about Transat? They have foreign wet leases I see, do they Send A/C overseas?

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by florch »

Yes Sunwing reciprocates.

I'm not sure about AT. They should. You'd think they would have a law.

RFN
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RFN »

TS this year has only a single wet lease.
They reciprocated 100%.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”