Resumes and Cover Letters Redux

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Resumes and Cover Letters Redux

Post by xsbank »

Layoffs... One of the dirty secrets of our industry (well, not so secret, pretty common). If you have suffered job loss because of layoffs, say so. Don't let your resume give the impression that you are a job-jumper (unless you are a job-jumper), so say what happened. If you were chasing tin, that may or may not be an issue but it's best to cover yourself from false impressions.
---------- ADS -----------

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Don't lose sight that these comments are largely my opinions but have a large component of common sense in them based on my own history and comments that I have gleaned from my clients.

"What's it doing now?"
Eric727
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Eric727 »

xsbank can you send me pm , i need info about your Resumes and Cover Letters.

thank you

Flyyourdreams
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyyourdreams »

Good day xsbank,

Could you please send me a private message? I would like your services concerning a cover letter and cv.

Thank you.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

If you cannot pm me, I can't pm you either. You need to post a couple of time so the administrators know you are a human not a bot. Sorry.

"What's it doing now?"
Flyyourdreams
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyyourdreams »

Good day Xsbank,

I promise you that I am human but some say I might not have a heart...I am new here so not 100% sure how things are done.

How could we communicate? I have a friend who has used your services in the past I would like to do the same.

Thank you.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

xsbank wrote:The consensus seems to be no, bad idea.

PDF seems to be the format of choice.

PDF!

PDF is standard issue as far as I'm concerned, it's easy and looks the same on every machine, doc files can ether look great or be so tossed on some computers it's worthless.

Most word processors will allow you to export as a PDF, both M$ Office as well as free suites like OpenOffice, just edit in your processors favorite flavor, doc, docx, rtf, whatever and when you're happy with it export as PDF. Keep the original doc or whatever for future edits.

Flyyourdreams
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyyourdreams »

Any body here do cover letters/resumes?

Will pay for a job well done.

Flyyourdreams
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyyourdreams »

Hhmm i wonder how many posts i have to do proving my humaness.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I replied to your PM. Try that?

"What's it doing now?"
lowleveljet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lowleveljet »

When you say 1 page, you mean just the resume itself, right? I've always used a 3-page format - cover letter, resume, references as a single 3 page pdf document

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

One page for the cover/introductory letter, one page for the resume and the references.

I would say if you are making the jump from simple aircraft (bush, single engine etc, all very general terms and lose definitions, everyone is different) or starting out, one page resume is important. If you have been flying for a long time, have type ratings and are corporate, the inclusion of how you set up a flight department or were CP over 50 pilots etc, page numbers are immaterial.

Nobody needs to know how you loaded barrels or pumped your own fuel if you tell them you flew a Stoneboat in the Yukon, for example. If you are trying to get on with Jazz, having flown in busy airspace or multi-crew details might be important, but nobody needs to know if you did Dangerous goods or similar as everybody has to.

It's really situation-specific. I had my worst experiences doing resumes for ex-military drivers, guys with a 1000 hours PIC in a Herc or a (what's that 4-engine Boeing transport) who are only 25 and have little chance of being Captains in Canada again for many years. Two pages explaining the extensive and very intense training or one page saying they were 4-engine Captains? Very few employers want the details of the training, knowing in advance they are very good aircraft commanders who are likely not too interested in a Beaver in the bush.

Too much detail and the reader switches off. Too little details but very good quality, the employer will likely call to get more.

I am also become convinced that with the total embracing of technology in communications, you should not send an email saying you have attached a cover and resume. The cover should be the first thing the employer reads.

"What's it doing now?"
Olegmagellan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Olegmagellan »

xsbank wrote:One page for the cover/introductory letter, one page for the resume and the references.

I would say if you are making the jump from simple aircraft (bush, single engine etc, all very general terms and lose definitions, everyone is different) or starting out, one page resume is important. If you have been flying for a long time, have type ratings and are corporate, the inclusion of how you set up a flight department or were CP over 50 pilots etc, page numbers are immaterial.

Nobody needs to know how you loaded barrels or pumped your own fuel if you tell them you flew a Stoneboat in the Yukon, for example. If you are trying to get on with Jazz, having flown in busy airspace or multi-crew details might be important, but nobody needs to know if you did Dangerous goods or similar as everybody has to.

It's really situation-specific. I had my worst experiences doing resumes for ex-military drivers, guys with a 1000 hours PIC in a Herc or a (what's that 4-engine Boeing transport) who are only 25 and have little chance of being Captains in Canada again for many years. Two pages explaining the extensive and very intense training or one page saying they were 4-engine Captains? Very few employers want the details of the training, knowing in advance they are very good aircraft commanders who are likely not too interested in a Beaver in the bush.

Too much detail and the reader switches off. Too little details but very good quality, the employer will likely call to get more.

I am also become convinced that with the total embracing of technology in communications, you should not send an email saying you have attached a cover and resume. The cover should be the first thing the employer reads.
Hello please check your PM

ClearProp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ClearProp »

Great read !

"The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway." - Blessed Teresa of Calcutta.
RonBox
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RonBox »

xsbank,

Is this suppose to be in the email body?

Blue Streak
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blue Streak »

xsbank, I sent you a private message, just so you know. Thanks.

A very important thread here, great reading.

Fly The Wing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fly The Wing »

RonBox wrote:I am also become convinced that with the total embracing of technology in communications, you should not send an email saying you have attached a cover and resume. The cover should be the first thing the employer reads.

xsbank,

Is this suppose to be in the email body?
This is a good question. So I have the perfect cover letter and resume, they are in a PDF and are attached...so now what do I say in the body of the email? Most jobs now want the resume emailed in. A quick personalised note? I can cut and paste the whole schamozzle into the email after I undo all the indents, fonts, bolds etc that don't come through in an email.

flyingstickman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyingstickman »

Very grateful for the info here.

A quick question though, I've only stayed around at the few (non-flying) jobs I've had for about 3 months at a time (on avg). Each time I've moved on it has been for some sort of progression (more direct/useful involvement in an operation and/or better working conditions). ex ramp to crew sched to dispatch. But every time it has been movement into a different company as there was no room for movement within the last (none of these companies had plans to progress me on to the flightline. ever). My next look is into an FI job then right seat at a small op (or even a big op if they'll take me). I'm stuck between pushing for an FI job full time knowing I have no intention of staying there long term, or keeping the current job and instructing part time (hence taking longer to build the time I need to make the next step). My concern is that I'll be seen as a job jumper, but someone I look up to in the industry with a boat load of experience advised me that as long as each time I make a move it's a step up (ops to instructing to scheduled op to jet), then I shouldn't be too concerned. Anyone mind to add their few cents?

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

For emailing resumes, etc, I would continue to send the PDF files as an attachment but I would copy the cover letter and use it as the email. Then they can read your email and see right away what you are offering and they can print off a snazzy copy to hand around, if your stuff impresses them.

Job jumping - your career is what it is. You have to live with it and hopefully you get a chance to explain yourself in an interview. The whole entry process to this industry is capricious and frustrating, if not entirely unfair. Don't try and hide or obfuscate anything you have done because if it is serious, you can get dismissed without cause for concealing it.

I'm not sure without seeing yours but when writing my own resume in later years, I put something like "numerous small charter airlines" or similar. The important stuff was what I had done in later years and no operator wanted to know the name of the company in Saskatchewan where I flew a 206 in 1976. Use some creativity but be straightforward and no bs.

"What's it doing now?"
Jumbo47
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jumbo47 »

Very good read!! Wish I've read this sooner before sending out the emails... :(

Return to “Employment Forum”