New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: New hire bids

Post by Black_Tusk »

It's basically closed already. Most if not all pairings start with a dead head to YUL now. Until the official closure mid next year.
---------- ADS -----------

Canada340
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canada340 »

Hans,

Most recent info I have it sounds like there will be a GS January 2nd 2017.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

December 12 class,

5 YYZ Classic
5 YUL Classic
6 YUL Q400

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

That's pretty cool. It seems to be that positions being offered are very diverse from class to class.

In the end, we all agreed when we applied to Jazz that regardless of what base or plane we get, even if we're the last pick, we'd be okay with it. I certainly will be. Sure, we all have our preferences, but just flying for Jazz is reason enough to have me ecstatic. Every city / base has its own pros and cons. Metal really does not matter.

The way I see it:
- Vancouver is beautiful, great flying on all airplanes
- Calgary is also great, mountains close by
- Toronto is a world class city and there are so many options if one does not want to live in the actual GTA.
- Montreal is a fantastic city with great culture.

I'd be super happy with whatever I get.

Das ist mir wurst...
BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

HansDietrich wrote:That's pretty cool. It seems to be that positions being offered are very diverse from class to class.

In the end, we all agreed when we applied to Jazz that regardless of what base or plane we get, even if we're the last pick, we'd be okay with it. I certainly will be. Sure, we all have our preferences, but just flying for Jazz is reason enough to have me ecstatic. Every city / base has its own pros and cons. Metal really does not matter.

The way I see it:
- Vancouver is beautiful, great flying on all airplanes
- Calgary is also great, mountains close by
- Toronto is a world class city and there are so many options if one does not want to live in the actual GTA.
- Montreal is a fantastic city with great culture.

I'd be super happy with whatever I get.
If it were up to me I'd hire you. Very well written!! Good luck!

Topoff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Topoff »

On another note. How much vacation time does a new hire get in the first year?

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

From what my friends are telling me, it's 10 days PAID vacation when you're hired. I'm sure you can block time OFF before and after that so you can extend that holiday (if you wish) (or maybe even bank credits?) though, not 100% sure about that.

Das ist mir wurst...
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Technically none. It takes a year to accrue vacation.We bid for vacation between september and november for the next year. However you will have the stats. I believe you can wait for open vacation and try to snag it that way, and use your stat days.

You get 2 weeks VACATION and 10 days of stats, unless you want the stats paid out. That equates to four weeks you can bid for in the year, by seniority. However, with all the movement to AC and upgrades/equipment changes, there are weeks that will end up open throughout the year as those changes happen. we get the ability to bid on them as the come available IF we still have unused vacation.

Those vacation weeks are mon-fri (5 days paid) with the ability to attached 3 GDO's... other than that, you can try to bid (based on your seniority) around them..

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Anyone hired from January onward now will have no vacation days for 2017. It's accrued through the previous year of work. 1 vacation day to every (IIRC) 36 days worked. Since you haven't worked at all the year before = no vaca days. There is no stipulation for any guaranteed vacation days for new hires. Once you pass the first year you get 2 weeks (10 days) and 10 more days of stat days. So a total of 20 days you can book off. The stats are also accrued.

That being said, I know plenty of guys who have managed to go on multiple week long vacations without using a single vacation day.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Are you sure about the stats Rowdy? IIRC I thought they mentioned they are accrued. For example if one started in early Dec they would have 2 stats for 2017 (Christmas day/Boxing day) not the full 10 days.

Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

Any word on the bases and equipment for the Jan 2 class?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

All YUL. 2 CRJ, 4-6ish Q4 (can't remember) and the rest classic.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Black_Tusk wrote:All YUL. 2 CRJ, 4-6ish Q4 (can't remember) and the rest classic.

Thank you for that Black_Tusk. I'm curious what the next course will have. It seems that the last 3 - 4 ground school courses had a lot of YUL spots. Is that not a popular base? Montreal is an awesome city to live in. I guess it's a bit hard for people with spouses to have everyone integrate in a French speaking city, especially when it comes to jobs. I'm lucky my spouse is fluent. I think we'll do well there.

Das ist mir wurst...
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

HansDietrich wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:All YUL. 2 CRJ, 4-6ish Q4 (can't remember) and the rest classic.

Thank you for that Black_Tusk. I'm curious what the next course will have. It seems that the last 3 - 4 ground school courses had a lot of YUL spots. Is that not a popular base? Montreal is an awesome city to live in. I guess it's a bit hard for people with spouses to have everyone integrate in a French speaking city, especially when it comes to jobs. I'm lucky my spouse is fluent. I think we'll do well there.

It isn't that the base is unpopular, it is that with the last equipment bid the base grew quite a bit.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

So is this going to be predominantly the base that newcomers will be hired for, because of all the growth? Or are they still hiring for YYC and YVR?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I can't see YYC any time soon as they reduced the Q by a ton of people and the RJ stayed the same (a majority of new RJ FOs took the move to YYC instead of YUL). YVR should continue to see some hiring but all of the classes Before Dec 31st seemed to be filling in YVR quite heavily. It's always a random crap shoot on bid day.

Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

whens the GS after the 2nd? Still two classes a month till summer?

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Monorail Conductor wrote:whens the GS after the 2nd? Still two classes a month till summer?
January 16th.

Das ist mir wurst...
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

KenoraPilot wrote:I can't see YYC any time soon as they reduced the Q by a ton of people and the RJ stayed the same (a majority of new RJ FOs took the move to YYC instead of YUL). YVR should continue to see some hiring but all of the classes Before Dec 31st seemed to be filling in YVR quite heavily. It's always a random crap shoot on bid day.
Only YVR -8. There have been no CRJ or Q400 initials for YVR new hires yet. But imagine they are coming soon as there are a lot of positions to fill with no one wanting to go out west who isn't already bid over. I know a few people who transferred over but the main base right now for anything other than the -8 (YYZ and YVR getting a lot of classics) is YUL.

Canada340
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canada340 »

My class on 19 Sep. had 8 YVR Q400

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”