Jazz Experience

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Jazz Experience

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

With the tremendous flow of candidates to Jazz (likely for the PML) that's being seen from all the local operators throughout Canada, is there still room for sub 1000 hr pilots to make their mark on an application, sans Seneca?

I have a few colleagues who are new to the industry and while my current employer doesn't have room (yet) for a sub 300 hour freshie, what level of candidates is Jazz hiring?

Are guys under 300 hours, sans Seneca seeing a response from Jazz?

S.
---------- ADS -----------

ThatFliGuyDerr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Jazz Experience

Post by ThatFliGuyDerr »

I know of people who have gotten on with less than 1000. But I've never met someone with that low time getting on. That being said. Tell them to apply anyways. Never know

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Yeah, they completed the online application process.

We'll see what the Jazz Recruitment Team thinks hehe.

S.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

The lowest hour pilot I've heard of from "outside" Seneca that we've hired had about 800TT. But that person also had the "Jazz award" from Mount Royal. Unlikely you'd get a call back with less than 1000TT from what I've seen.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

From what I have heard is that HR is looking for a min flight time of 1200 hours (off the street) for a candidate to attend the interview. I have also heard that Jazz is looking for approx. 350 new hires in 2017.

Flyer

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I haven't heard of anyone under 1000 get on outside of the various college agreements we have. That said, I had guys on my course that were under 1500 hours total. They did however have 500 (or close to) multi. That seems to be the ticket for the lower time guys getting on. Some got it from instructing, others from flying around a Navajo.

It never hurts to take the shot though. The worst that can happen is you don't get a call.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

schnitzel2k3 wrote:With the tremendous flow of candidates to Jazz (likely for the PML) that's being seen from all the local operators throughout Canada, is there still room for sub 1000 hr pilots to make their mark on an application, sans Seneca?

I have a few colleagues who are new to the industry and while my current employer doesn't have room (yet) for a sub 300 hour freshie, what level of candidates is Jazz hiring?

Are guys under 300 hours, sans Seneca seeing a response from Jazz?

S.

At just shy of 1500, I am by far the lowest time hire not only in my class but all 3 previous classes. Aside from the Seneca direct entry candidates... 1500, ATPLs done and that 500MPIC still seems to be the key. There are a few here in GS right now with no PIC but they have higher time and sig turbine/jet time.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Guys, the heads up is much appreciated!

Thank you for that, gives them a realistic idea at the very least.

Cheers.

S.

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

Go ahead and apply. If we've learned anything from the recent US election, it's that even if you don't qualify for the job because of lack of experience, apply anyway and you just might get it :mrgreen:

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

jschnurr wrote:Go ahead and apply. If we've learned anything from the recent US election, it's that even if you don't qualify for the job because of lack of experience, apply anyway and you just might get it :mrgreen:
:lol: :drinkers:

S.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

I know the conversation is about flight time , my question along with the flight time is has Jazz ever hired a 50 year old with 1200 hours?

Thanks

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

marakii wrote:I know the conversation is about flight time , my question along with the flight time is has Jazz ever hired a 50 year old with 1200 hours?

Thanks

If you are 50 years old, and Jazz is your dream place to be, and with 1200 hours, you might want to see a shrink to deal with that mid life crisis.
Just kidding, but you might want to consider other avenues of aviation that would get you a half decent salary with benefits, like corporate, sooner than the airlines would.
Not dissing the airlines though, I guess you still have 15 years to give them.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'm fairly sure you're actually looking for this?

ThatFliGuyDerr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThatFliGuyDerr »

1200 hours I think is a good amount of hours to apply with. From what I've seen in the last 6+ months of hiring lots of people over 40 have been hired. I think if anything the company will look at it like you have good life experiences. The pay is horrible at first but right now upgrades are quick. To Dash 8 100/300 it's a year. And for Q and RJ 1.5 years. So you could be into a reasonable wage in not to long.

All the best

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

This past fall was told that Jazz has 1700+ qualified applicants on file....where is this pilot shortage :?

Gravity always wins
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Qualified as per CARs minimums (Commercial, Group 1, and IATRA)?
Or qualified as per Jazz hiring practices?

Everybody with about 1400+ hours, commercial IFR experience, and at least As written seems to get called for an interview about a month after applying. That pool of applicants can't be containing 1700 people given how quickly they get called.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

marakii wrote:I know the conversation is about flight time , my question along with the flight time is has Jazz ever hired a 50 year old with 1200 hours?

Thanks
Employers can't discriminate on the basis of age. Unless there's something particularly damning in your pre-aviation days that people won't like, I'd say you have at least as good of a chance as a guy half your age with no experience outside aviation and same flying experience.

Car salesman turned pilot, I don't see a problem.
Mobster out of prison with no chance of getting a RAIC, turned pilot, then maybe Jazz isn't for you.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

It does not matter what the hiring mins are today. In six months they will be lower and 12 months lower still.

It is a seller's market with lots of carriers that need entry level pilots. Nobody is going to cancel a flight rather than hire a low time applicant.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

goingnowherefast wrote:Qualified as per CARs minimums (Commercial, Group 1, and IATRA)?

Everybody with about 1400+ hours, commercial IFR experience, and at least As written seems to get called for an interview about a month after applying. That pool of applicants can't be containing 1700 people given how quickly they get called.

The 1700+ number came directly from Jazz HR in Halifax. Don't think they would lie.

Gravity always wins
marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

Kosiw wrote:
goingnowherefast wrote:Qualified as per CARs minimums (Commercial, Group 1, and IATRA)?

The 1700+ number came directly from Jazz HR in Halifax. Don't think they would lie.
Why is it that Georgian cancels flights due to lack of flight crews to fly, is it because GGN is not great to work for or can't find qualified pilots to fly them. Why can't Jazz with their 1700 on file shuffle a few over there.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”