AVCANADA

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:31 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Jazz Experience
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:46 am 
Rank 5
Rank 5

With the tremendous flow of candidates to Jazz (likely for the PML) that's being seen from all the local operators throughout Canada, is there still room for sub 1000 hr pilots to make their mark on an application, sans Seneca?

I have a few colleagues who are new to the industry and while my current employer doesn't have room (yet) for a sub 300 hour freshie, what level of candidates is Jazz hiring?

Are guys under 300 hours, sans Seneca seeing a response from Jazz?

S.

Post subject: Re: Jazz Experience
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:33 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

I know of people who have gotten on with less than 1000. But I've never met someone with that low time getting on. That being said. Tell them to apply anyways. Never know

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:24 pm 
Rank 5
Rank 5

Yeah, they completed the online application process.

We'll see what the Jazz Recruitment Team thinks hehe.

S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:44 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

The lowest hour pilot I've heard of from "outside" Seneca that we've hired had about 800TT. But that person also had the "Jazz award" from Mount Royal. Unlikely you'd get a call back with less than 1000TT from what I've seen.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:53 pm 
Rank 6
Rank 6

From what I have heard is that HR is looking for a min flight time of 1200 hours (off the street) for a candidate to attend the interview. I have also heard that Jazz is looking for approx. 350 new hires in 2017.

Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:54 pm 
Rank 5
Rank 5

I haven't heard of anyone under 1000 get on outside of the various college agreements we have. That said, I had guys on my course that were under 1500 hours total. They did however have 500 (or close to) multi. That seems to be the ticket for the lower time guys getting on. Some got it from instructing, others from flying around a Navajo.

It never hurts to take the shot though. The worst that can happen is you don't get a call.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:41 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

schnitzel2k3 wrote:
With the tremendous flow of candidates to Jazz (likely for the PML) that's being seen from all the local operators throughout Canada, is there still room for sub 1000 hr pilots to make their mark on an application, sans Seneca?

I have a few colleagues who are new to the industry and while my current employer doesn't have room (yet) for a sub 300 hour freshie, what level of candidates is Jazz hiring?

Are guys under 300 hours, sans Seneca seeing a response from Jazz?

S.

At just shy of 1500, I am by far the lowest time hire not only in my class but all 3 previous classes. Aside from the Seneca direct entry candidates... 1500, ATPLs done and that 500MPIC still seems to be the key. There are a few here in GS right now with no PIC but they have higher time and sig turbine/jet time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:13 pm 
Rank 5
Rank 5

Guys, the heads up is much appreciated!

Thank you for that, gives them a realistic idea at the very least.

Cheers.

S.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:36 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Go ahead and apply. If we've learned anything from the recent US election, it's that even if you don't qualify for the job because of lack of experience, apply anyway and you just might get it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:08 am 
Rank 5
Rank 5

jschnurr wrote:
Go ahead and apply. If we've learned anything from the recent US election, it's that even if you don't qualify for the job because of lack of experience, apply anyway and you just might get it :mrgreen:

:lol: :drinkers:

S.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:52 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

I know the conversation is about flight time , my question along with the flight time is has Jazz ever hired a 50 year old with 1200 hours?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:31 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

marakii wrote:
I know the conversation is about flight time , my question along with the flight time is has Jazz ever hired a 50 year old with 1200 hours?

Thanks

If you are 50 years old, and Jazz is your dream place to be, and with 1200 hours, you might want to see a shrink to deal with that mid life crisis.
Just kidding, but you might want to consider other avenues of aviation that would get you a half decent salary with benefits, like corporate, sooner than the airlines would.
Not dissing the airlines though, I guess you still have 15 years to give them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:22 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

I'm fairly sure you're actually looking for this?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:13 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

1200 hours I think is a good amount of hours to apply with. From what I've seen in the last 6+ months of hiring lots of people over 40 have been hired. I think if anything the company will look at it like you have good life experiences. The pay is horrible at first but right now upgrades are quick. To Dash 8 100/300 it's a year. And for Q and RJ 1.5 years. So you could be into a reasonable wage in not to long.

All the best

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:32 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

This past fall was told that Jazz has 1700+ qualified applicants on file....where is this pilot shortage :?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:01 pm 
Rank 8
Rank 8

Qualified as per CARs minimums (Commercial, Group 1, and IATRA)?
Or qualified as per Jazz hiring practices?

Everybody with about 1400+ hours, commercial IFR experience, and at least As written seems to get called for an interview about a month after applying. That pool of applicants can't be containing 1700 people given how quickly they get called.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:09 pm 
Rank 8
Rank 8

marakii wrote:

Thanks

Employers can't discriminate on the basis of age. Unless there's something particularly damning in your pre-aviation days that people won't like, I'd say you have at least as good of a chance as a guy half your age with no experience outside aviation and same flying experience.

Car salesman turned pilot, I don't see a problem.
Mobster out of prison with no chance of getting a RAIC, turned pilot, then maybe Jazz isn't for you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:01 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

It does not matter what the hiring mins are today. In six months they will be lower and 12 months lower still.

It is a seller's market with lots of carriers that need entry level pilots. Nobody is going to cancel a flight rather than hire a low time applicant.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:45 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

goingnowherefast wrote:

Everybody with about 1400+ hours, commercial IFR experience, and at least As written seems to get called for an interview about a month after applying. That pool of applicants can't be containing 1700 people given how quickly they get called.

The 1700+ number came directly from Jazz HR in Halifax. Don't think they would lie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:09 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Kosiw wrote:
goingnowherefast wrote:

The 1700+ number came directly from Jazz HR in Halifax. Don't think they would lie.

Why is it that Georgian cancels flights due to lack of flight crews to fly, is it because GGN is not great to work for or can't find qualified pilots to fly them. Why can't Jazz with their 1700 on file shuffle a few over there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:40 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Because they are completely separate and competing companies?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:51 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

marakii wrote:

Thanks

Jazz hires older pilots, yes.

If you're 50, and want to work in an airline I think Jazz is probably the best place you could go. One to one and a half year upgrades and you're touching 100k at year one left seat. Stick around for 15 years and you'll do pretty good. Go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:29 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

marakii wrote:
Kosiw wrote:
goingnowherefast wrote:

Why is it that Georgian cancels flights due to lack of flight crews to fly, is it because GGN is not great to work for or can't find qualified pilots to fly them. Why can't Jazz with their 1700 on file shuffle a few over there.

Jazz is a completely separate company that has seen a significant loss of its RJ flying to GGN. I'm sure Jazz would love to keep seeing GGN cancel flights due to a perceived pilot shortage. Why would Jazz help its direct competitor?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:03 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

Black_Tusk wrote:

One to one and a half year upgrades and you're touching 100k at year one left seat.

How does that work? At AirlinePilotCentral, it gives $81/hr for year one @ 80/month, that's $6480 x 12 = $78k :?:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:21 pm 
Rank 5
Rank 5

mmm..bacon wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:

One to one and a half year upgrades and you're touching 100k at year one left seat.

How does that work? At AirlinePilotCentral, it gives $81/hr for year one @ 80/month, that's $6480 x 12 = $78k :?:

Even those numbers are off. There are 2 scales really. 1 for those hired after January 30, 2015, and 1 for those hired before.

For those hired after January 2015, the scale starts at 74.91/hr. For those hired before that date, it starts at 84.16/hr.

To complicate the matter further, if I am not mistaken, the guys hired before this contract was ratified get to carry their YOS as an FO. So a 5 year FO, slides into year 5 captain pay. (I couldn't find the part in the contract about that.) Guys hired after contract ratification go to year 1 on the scale regardless of YOS