Jazz Experience

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FlyHigh13
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Jazz Experience

Post by FlyHigh13 »

Because they are completely separate and competing companies?
---------- ADS -----------

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

marakii wrote:I know the conversation is about flight time , my question along with the flight time is has Jazz ever hired a 50 year old with 1200 hours?

Thanks
Jazz hires older pilots, yes.

If you're 50, and want to work in an airline I think Jazz is probably the best place you could go. One to one and a half year upgrades and you're touching 100k at year one left seat. Stick around for 15 years and you'll do pretty good. Go for it.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

marakii wrote:
Kosiw wrote:
goingnowherefast wrote:Qualified as per CARs minimums (Commercial, Group 1, and IATRA)?
Or qualified as per Jazz hiring practices?

Everybody with about 1400+ hours, commercial IFR experience, and at least As written seems to get called for an interview about a month after applying. That pool of applicants can't be containing 1700 people given how quickly they get called.

The 1700+ number came directly from Jazz HR in Halifax. Don't think they would lie.
Why is it that Georgian cancels flights due to lack of flight crews to fly, is it because GGN is not great to work for or can't find qualified pilots to fly them. Why can't Jazz with their 1700 on file shuffle a few over there.
Jazz is a completely separate company that has seen a significant loss of its RJ flying to GGN. I'm sure Jazz would love to keep seeing GGN cancel flights due to a perceived pilot shortage. Why would Jazz help its direct competitor?

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Black_Tusk wrote:
One to one and a half year upgrades and you're touching 100k at year one left seat.
How does that work? At AirlinePilotCentral, it gives $81/hr for year one @ 80/month, that's $6480 x 12 = $78k :?:

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

mmm..bacon wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:
One to one and a half year upgrades and you're touching 100k at year one left seat.
How does that work? At AirlinePilotCentral, it gives $81/hr for year one @ 80/month, that's $6480 x 12 = $78k :?:
Even those numbers are off. There are 2 scales really. 1 for those hired after January 30, 2015, and 1 for those hired before.

For those hired after January 2015, the scale starts at 74.91/hr. For those hired before that date, it starts at 84.16/hr.

To complicate the matter further, if I am not mistaken, the guys hired before this contract was ratified get to carry their YOS as an FO. So a 5 year FO, slides into year 5 captain pay. (I couldn't find the part in the contract about that.) Guys hired after contract ratification go to year 1 on the scale regardless of YOS

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

mmm..bacon wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:
Per diems.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Black_Tusk wrote:
mmm..bacon wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:
Per diems.
Not income. Keep saying so, and soon enough the tax man will say so as well

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

iflyroads wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:
mmm..bacon wrote:
Per diems.
No, he won't. Because the tax man is a CRA employee entitled to $90+ per day when travelling on business.

So long as a per diem compensation level is at or below the Federal Govt level, there is no reason it should attract the attention of CRA.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

You can't forecast wages based on the minimums. I have averaged 86hrs a month plus a WDO a month since I've been on the property. There have been no months under 80hrs for me. A little OT makes a huge difference in yearly totals too and it's easy to get. Don't forget block growth too.

So 85 x 75 = 6375
1.5 x75 = 112
WDO 4.5 x 1.5 x 75 = 506

6993 x 12 = 83922.

As a year one capt. Working 15-16days a month. Add on an extra 1100/month cash in per diems. Become a bit of an overtime whore or get really creative with your bidding and it'd touch 100 in the first year or two. Actually, let's break it down a bit...

Let's say you build high credit pairings and have some NBG, for a normal month at 15 days at the 86hr mark and do 3 WDO. That's an extra g note from above numbers..All year long? 12k. Putting you at just a hair under 96k. Year one. Add on the performance incentive, a little ESOP action, including the dividends... You're now over 100 without breaking a sweat or including those 'not wages' per diems. Can't forget, those WDO numbers are based on a min credit day. Say you pick up a 6hr day.. Now you're looking at 9hrs pay. Again, not rocket science to get north of 6 figures.

There are quite a few dash drivers in the 150-160k range... Although they've been here a while.

People keep talking about these low time inexperienced kids getting hired. Haven't seen it. Everyone thus far between 2-6k with two crew and multi time with the occasional 1500hr A licenced one hiding in there.

I doubt that'll change as the costs very quickly go up below that mark in terms of training and operations.

But what do I know, I'm just some line driver.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

rudder wrote:
iflyroads wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:
Per diems.
No, he won't. Because the tax man is a CRA employee entitled to $90+ per day when travelling on business.

So long as a per diem compensation level is at or below the Federal Govt level, there is no reason it should attract the attention of CRA.
How often does a CRA employee travel and make that 90 per day compared to a pilot?

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

iflyroads wrote:
rudder wrote:
iflyroads wrote:

How often does a CRA employee travel and make that 90 per day compared to a pilot?

They had better not come after it. I am already taxed on my parking pass...that's insult enough

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

iflyroads wrote:
rudder wrote:
iflyroads wrote:

If you understood how the guidelines work, it does not matter.

http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/inde ... 8&lang=eng

Hayseed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hayseed »

Does Jazz notify you if your application did not interest them, or do you hear back from them only if they call you for an interview?

I applied 3 months ago with 1500 hrs and an ATPL but <100 multi, and heard nothing. I would love to know if my application is still alive or dead.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

From what I understand, they keep your application open for a year. Keep updating it as you gain more experience. I know nothing of your resume, but I have observed that Jazz seems to like people with IFR 70x experience. 703 captains, 704/705 FOs and captains. This is on top of the ATPL exams at a minimum.

I'd imagine a PC-12 captain with an ATPL would be in pretty good shape provided his resume/cover letter is in good shape too.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

ATPL exams are not necessary, an iatra will suffice

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Multi time, however still seems to be fairly important. Especially MPIC unless you have quite a significant amount of turbine or jet right seat time. Although there are likely people who have been hired with only single time I am not aware of any myself.

eggy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eggy »

Last year I got a call for an interview with about 1250 TT and 300 Multi. ATPLs written. I do think they want some two crew time as well. I know they haven't even given interviews to some friends with 1500+ TT and ATPLs written, with time on the PC12, which is a bit of a bummer and thus they have passed over some good pilots/people.

Mône
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mône »

Jazz requires 250 multi time minimum for non college/pathway applicants. If you don't have that your name will not show up in the system for interview calls. Explanation was rate of failure is higher (don't know numbers) for candidates with low multi time, therefore higher cost for the company hence the hard minimum. More experience, A's etc.. is obviously bonus.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I heard similar, but the choices on the form are not 250. IIRC they were "Under 500 multi" "500-1000 multi" and "1000+ multi."

I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure there was not a 250 multi checkbox option?

navapro
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by navapro »

Has anyone actually been hired or even received a call for an interview with an iatra? Assuming you meet the multi and two crew experience requirements.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”