Fairey Firefly

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Fairey Firefly

Post by Antique Pilot »

Here is a Fairey Firefly at Carman MB about 1968. In the background is the tail section of a Japanese Aichi Val Dive Bomber.

AP
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
IMG_1350.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG (94.49 KiB) Viewed 3511 times
NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Fairey Firefly

Post by NWONT »

Here's another shot after it was cleaned up a bit in 1974. Bob Diemert owned it. He had a 2X12 down the fuselage for a seat. Passengers, if there were any, had to straddle the plank.

Attachments
Fairy Firefly Carman Man 1974 b.jpg
Fairy Firefly Carman Man 1974 b.jpg (55.32 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Another shot with the tail hook visible.

Attachments
Fairy Firefly Carman Man 1974 a.jpg
Fairy Firefly Carman Man 1974 a.jpg (65.23 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Yes that is it CF-CBH. Not sure where it went but possibly to the USA. I don't have a serial number to cross reference.

AP

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Not sure if you are aware, but the aircraft is an ex-Royal Australian Firefly T.T. Mk. 6, s/n WD840. It began as an A.S. Mk. 6 (Anti-Submarine) and was converted to a T. T. (Target Tug).

Cheers...Chris

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

The Val was fitted with a Wright Cyclone engine from a B-25. That changed the appearance if the aircraft due to the use of the cowling from the B-25.

Cheers...Chris

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

Moose47 wrote:G'day

Not sure if you are aware, but the aircraft is an ex-Royal Australian Firefly T.T. Mk. 6, s/n WD840. It began as an A.S. Mk. 6 (Anti-Submarine) and was converted to a T. T. (Target Tug).

Cheers...Chris
Chris,

Thanks for the info. The FAA website shows that Firefly serial # WD840 is now registered in Monaco.

The Val is with Planes of Fame in Chino California.

I was hanging around the Carman Airport in the either July or August of 1965 and saw Bob fly his Hurricane CF-SMI.

AP

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

I may have some facts mixed up but this is how I remember things. Bob "restored" a Zero. He needed an engine so be bought the B25 for that purpose. He crashed the Zero on his runway on the test flight. He hid the wreckage and repaired the damage to his runway for "safety purposes". Transport charged him with not reporting the accident...........but I could be wrong. I took this picture in 1974.

Attachments
Michell B-25 Carman Man 1974.jpg
Michell B-25 Carman Man 1974.jpg (70.05 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Bob also had this A26. He loaded some friends in it for a joyride. After taking off that grass strip he realized it may be dangerous to try to land there so he flew it to Gimli where it sat for a time.

Attachments
Douglas A-26 carman Man 74.jpg
Douglas A-26 carman Man 74.jpg (68.19 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

NWONT wrote:I may have some facts mixed up but this is how I remember things. Bob "restored" a Zero. He needed an engine so be bought the B25 for that purpose. He crashed the Zero on his runway on the test flight. He hid the wreckage and repaired the damage to his runway for "safety purposes". Transport charged him with not reporting the accident...........but I could be wrong. I took this picture in 1974.
Bob retrieved at least 2 maybe 3 Zero wrecks and the Val from The Solomon Islands. He used a P&W 1830 in the Zero project. The Val engine came from another source and not the B25 depicted. The B25 was resurrected about 1980 and eventually went south.

AP

oa5599
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oa5599 »

NWONT wrote:Bob also had this A26. He loaded some friends in it for a joyride. After taking off that grass strip he realized it may be dangerous to try to land there so he flew it to Gimli where it sat for a time.
Wow! Great pic. Thats one of his I haven't seen. Do you have any more info about the Invader?

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

I recall a story....once again I may be in error...but someone told me that the previous owner put new engines on it and started them without opening the oil tank shut-offs. Engines seized and Bob got a great deal on it. May just be a rumor. I was inside this bird way back when and it was laid out as a luxury liner. Nice seats and a modern(for the day) cockpit. The cockpit was small so after the pilot got seated the radar screen, I think it was, had to be swung around to face him.

Attachments
Douglas A-26 Carman Man 1974.jpg
Douglas A-26 Carman Man 1974.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
oa5599
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oa5599 »

NWONT wrote:I recall a story....once again I may be in error...but someone told me that the previous owner put new engines on it and started them without opening the oil tank shut-offs. Engines seized and Bob got a great deal on it. May just be a rumor. I was inside this bird way back when and it was laid out as a luxury liner. Nice seats and a modern(for the day) cockpit. The cockpit was small so after the pilot got seated the radar screen, I think it was, had to be swung around to face him.
Very cool! Thanks for the info. I can't quite read the registration. Would you happen to know what it is?

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”