Looking for stability...

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Looking for stability...

Post by loopy »

So, 3-4 years ago, I had been laid off. I interviewed for Jazz and they offered me a sim eval, but I had been offered a better paying corporate job. Fast forward, I've already had one airplane sold from under me, changed companies and may face the same again. I'm longing for some stability for me and my family. I have north of 5000 hours and lots of multi-command time on turboprop over a thousand jet.

Ive read on some other threads on this form of some pretty low time drivers being hired. Is upgrade purely on seniority? I see posts suggesting as little as 2 years. How does bidding work?

Oh, the aviation two-step!
---------- ADS -----------

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Looking for stability...

Post by Shady McSly »

Go for the airlines if you're under 40. You'll work more and probably start complaining more but generally have more stability.

You can do it!

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

For now upgrades are based solely on seniority and we don't have the need for direct entry captains...yet.

Bidding is simple. We use an online system and twice a year there is usually an equipment bid. 1 in January, 1 in August. Positions also get filled throughout the year as needed, so you have the potential to see an upgrade outside of the normal equipment bid.

Cheers

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Have you considered the DEC line at Encore?

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

I gave it some consideration. My wife and soon to be young family are in Calgary. My wife's business is here. Finding myself living in or commuting to YYZ doesn't make a lot of sense right now. Whichever company, I would hope I can get to YYC soon if not right away.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

You'd probably get YYC right away at Jazz. At the worse YVR but YYZ has become rather senior with the jet flying gone out of Toronto.

Let’s Go Brandon
FlyHigh13
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyHigh13 »

Inverted2 wrote:You'd probably get YYC right away at Jazz. At the worse YVR but YYZ has become rather senior with the jet flying gone out of Toronto.
YYC is not very likely anymore. All depends on equipment in the hiring class, but most new hires are going to YVR.

Topoff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Topoff »

I'm in the same boat. In your opinion, based on how things are going now, if one was based in YVR to start, how long would it take before you could bid over to YYC?

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

If you are looking for stability, become an obstetrician, undertaker, or barber...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Topoff wrote:I'm in the same boat. In your opinion, based on how things are going now, if one was based in YVR to start, how long would it take before you could bid over to YYC?
I really don't think you will find an answer. Things are changing so rapidly around here it would be a challenge to give a timeline.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

People are getting their preferred base a week into initial ground school right now... initial seniority bid type is more important than location now since you'll likely hold the base you want by the end of line indoc.

Topoff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Topoff »

Thanks. Good advice.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

mmm..bacon wrote:If you are looking for stability, become an obstetrician, undertaker, or barber...
A little late in life of that. And I like flying too much. Perhaps I'm hooped. I'm working on a non-aviation project to supplement, but not ready to give up on my flying career yet.

prestonlad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by prestonlad »

Dont give up ! I know a guy who joined Jazz when nearly 50 a couple of years ago and is soon up for captain and is loving it.

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

Well that's the boat I'm in. In early April I'm becoming a father for the first time and turning 50! And I did end up getting laid off for the second time in two years with another airplane being sold from beneath me.

I'm just curious what people are experiencing for the length time between application submission and being contacted for more info or interview?

Harley2014
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Harley2014 »

2 weeks to be contacted. Two weeks later for the video interview. A few days later the call for a sim. Lots of dates were offered for the sim ranging from a few dates every week for the next month you just have to pick one that works for you. Expect to overnight in yyz if flying in for the interview. Pm for more details

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”