Bearskin FO Pay

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bearskin FO Pay

Post by Spirit »

Anyone know what's the pay like for First Officers at Bearskin? There was a post that mentioned $29,600 per year, just wondering if that's accurate.

Thanks! :prayer:
---------- ADS -----------

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Bearskin FO Pay

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Things are moving kids. You don't need to put 10 large up front for jobs anymore. Don't.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spirit »

well I came to seek an answer but received some good advice instead :wink:

Thanks!

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:Things are moving kids. You don't need to put 10 large up front for jobs anymore. Don't.
Illya
100% FO turnover from Jan 2015 to Jan 2016. That's over 20 'kids'. You know as well as I do, no one this day and age knows that "give you my word" actually means "give you my word". However I do agree, you don't need to put up 10K. But if you you have any decent time, upgrade will be in a year or less....

I guess I should write something here.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

From the rumours I've heard, it's a pretty miserable working environment for the first couple years. Union contract is very top heavy and screws the "young". Management mentality is to not even try and retain new hires. Nobody is expecting them to stay, just a "when you leave, this is the financial contract".

Unfortunately I don't know any actual numbers to answer the original question.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

goingnowherefast wrote:From the rumours I've heard, it's a pretty miserable working environment for the first couple years. Union contract is very top heavy and screws the "young". Management mentality is to not even try and retain new hires. Nobody is expecting them to stay, just a "when you leave, this is the financial contract".

Unfortunately I don't know any actual numbers to answer the original question.
If you don't have numbers, then please, do tell how we are screwing over the "young". Oh you've been here 6 months, well please take 15,000k from my salary. Here I'll give you some of my days off too. You know what, take my wife. You've earned it. Also how is it a miserable work environment for a couple years? Does it magically get better? Funny story, every pilot, 25 years in or 1 month in, works in the same environment under the same conditions. Why do you continuously post when you don't have a clue??

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Maynard wrote:If you don't have numbers, then please, do tell how we are screwing over the "young".
You find out by talking to their pilots and asking "How's things at Bearskin?" If multiple pilots go on the same rant about top heavy union contracts and the high seniority guys getting all the perks, then it starts to build a picture.
Maynard wrote:Oh you've been here 6 months, well please take 15,000k from my salary. Here I'll give you some of my days off too. You know what, take my wife. You've earned it. Also how is it a miserable work environment for a couple years? Does it magically get better? Funny story, every pilot, 25 years in or 1 month in, works in the same environment under the same conditions.
Again, Seniority. Top 5 guys bid their 6 weeks vacation over the whole year, bid all the good schedules, etc. Leaves the September vacation slots to go on holidays with your school age kids. Overnighting on weekends when your wife is off work. 10 year captains get a fat paycheck, 1st year FOs are bonded to their poverty salary. Also, last I heard it was a 10k bond, not "15,000k".
Maynard wrote:Why do you continuously post when you don't have a clue??
Actually that is my first post in this thread. I was actually expecting more helpful responses from others but with the lack thereof, I offered what little I know.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Page 2 of this forum has the other bearskin thread where you expressed your opinions as well. So how many people of the 50 here have you talked to? 2,3, 15?? The 15k wasn't a reference to the bond, just a number which I should donate to the young since they apparently live in poverty.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Lets cut the crap and be productive. Do you know the answer for Mr. Spirit who asked the pay question above?

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Page 2, bearskin thread. It's a 5 year contract. Nothing's changed

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

$29k/year and you have to give them $10k up front. Stay clear. It's an old boy club that turned a metro position that should probably never be a career position into one.

Ex99guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ex99guy »

Why waste your time with a $#!t company like Bearskin? Shoot straight to the regionals. With the amount of movement happening there, there is no need for you to subsidize training at Bearskin with an upfront bond. Save your parents the money and go straight for Encore, Jazz or Sky.

For the record, in this day and age a couple hundred hours on a metro won't advance your career that much. As much as it pains me to say this, if you're desperate to burn money spend the 10 G's on an instructor rating. At least you'll have something to show for it, like a fancy new sticker for your ADB.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Maynard wrote:
Illya Kuryakin wrote:Things are moving kids. You don't need to put 10 large up front for jobs anymore. Don't.
Illya
100% FO turnover from Jan 2015 to Jan 2016. That's over 20 'kids'. You know as well as I do, no one this day and age knows that "give you my word" actually means "give you my word". However I do agree, you don't need to put up 10K. But if you you have any decent time, upgrade will be in a year or less....
It's gone beyond "I give you my word.." and you know t. It's the industry. Plain and simple. The days of enslvement in a Metro are coming to a much needed end. Trying to tie pilots to a bond when they can go fly a Q is just not going to work anymore. It's now (and it always has been) the cost of doing business.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

It's true there are a lot of lifers there, which is why a lot of people don't stick around very long. But to say that's because the company sucks is just ignorant. It's still a great place for experience and has top notch maintenance. The contract has great work rules, but any seniority system favours the old timers.

I think they'd do themselves a favour by changing to a promissory note for training, but then they'd be chasing down pilot after pilot as they all take off after 3 months. That bond doesn't even cover the cost of training an initial. What can you do when every pilot is salivating over shiny airliners at the moment...

Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spirit »

sstaurus wrote:It's true there are a lot of lifers there, which is why a lot of people don't stick around very long. But to say that's because the company sucks is just ignorant. It's still a great place for experience and has top notch maintenance. The contract has great work rules, but any seniority system favours the old timers.

I think they'd do themselves a favour by changing to a promissory note for training, but then they'd be chasing down pilot after pilot as they all take off after 3 months. That bond doesn't even cover the cost of training an initial. What can you do when every pilot is salivating over shiny airliners at the moment...
I would work there if they didn't ask me for money AND if they paid properly. $29K a year is not a lot more than minimum wage.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Ex99guy wrote: For the record, in this day and age a couple hundred hours on a metro won't advance your career that much. As much as it pains me to say this, if you're desperate to burn money spend the 10 G's on an instructor rating. At least you'll have something to show for it, like a fancy new sticker for your ADB.
Ok, so flying a twin engine, pressurized aircraft all over the province in crap weather is not worth as much as being VFR in a circuit pattern. WTF.

Actual flight experience is worth WAY more than spinning a light Cessna everyday.

FYI, This does not mean in any way, shape, or form that I endorse Bearskin from their bond practice. It's appalling what they do there.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
Maynard wrote:
Illya
It's gone beyond "I give you my word.." and you know t. It's the industry. Plain and simple. The days of enslvement in a Metro are coming to a much needed end. Trying to tie pilots to a bond when they can go fly a Q is just not going to work anymore. It's now (and it always has been) the cost of doing business.
Illya
Was there ever a "give you my word"? Bonds seem to be a mutual understanding that people likely won't be staying the duration with a specified financial agreement. Like buying out of a cell phone contract, if you will. If they actually wanted FO retention, the WAWCON would be better.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Jean-Pierre wrote:$29k/year and you have to give them $10k up front. Stay clear. It's an old boy club that turned a metro position that should probably never be a career position into one.
Really?? Like a Dash 8-100 is a career position?? Give me a break. A new FO at Jazz makes 37,000/yr, that's 8k more than JV. Compare expenses in YYZ vs YQT. Maybe you should keep your arrogant, ignorant ass in PQ. C'est l'hopital qui se moque de la charité.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

goingnowherefast wrote:
Illya Kuryakin wrote:
Maynard wrote:
Illya
Was there ever a "give you my word"? Bonds seem to be a mutual understanding that people likely won't be staying the duration with a specified financial agreement. Like buying out of a cell phone contract, if you will. If they actually wanted FO retention, the WAWCON would be better.
NO THEY WOULDN'T!! People just don't get it. You could offer every FO 15 days off and 80k starting salary. Guess what, they will still go back to Southern Ontario to fly a shiny Q400 because its a step to the 787 at AC. Its all about the end goal. Flying a 747 for 10,000$ a year will still beat flying a metro for 100,000$ a year. I asked it in the last thread, show me a 704 operator who has better WAWCON than Bearskin. Crickets. Please, show me, put me in my place.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Pretty much every 704, except for maybe EVAS. I'm unsure on GGN, but they do pay better. Even in your backyard at Bearskin, Wasaya pays 704 FOs 8 grand more, and they are home every night. Plus no more up front bond there. I've heard good things about Pasco and CMA too.

Return to “Employment Forum”