Operational Flight Plans & Dispatch Accuracy

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ChrisGK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Operational Flight Plans & Dispatch Accuracy

Post by ChrisGK »

My questions are aimed at those of you working in the 705 world . . .

I know that the Captain is responsible to review the operational flight plan (OFP) (issued by the Flight Dispatcher) and provide his/her "acceptance".

How frequently do you (the Captain) discover "issues" with the operational flight plan and have to negotiate/request amendments be made or have the OFP reissued?

What is/are the most common "issues" (i.e. alternate selection, reserve fuel, etc.)?

Thanks!

CGK
---------- ADS -----------

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Operational Flight Plans & Dispatch Accuracy

Post by timel »

I am getting tired of reading idiotic articles based on stupid researches.

ChrisGK, maybe you could explain why do you want to know that?

ChrisGK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChrisGK »

timel wrote:I am getting tired of reading idiotic articles based on stupid researches.

There is no sinister motive behind my questions - I'm not a writer and this isn't going into an article. This is for my own professional development/knowledge.

I'm about to enter the airline industry (as a pilot) and I've not yet experienced having a Flight Dispatcher do this work (on my behalf). I consider myself to be a safe and conscientious professional. I'm just wondering how much scrutiny or oversight is normally required? Is it a little (i.e. generally the OFP is pretty "bang on the numbers") or a whole lot (i.e. the OFPs are almost always wrong in some way).

Make sense?

CGK

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

As a former dispatcher, at my former airline around 95% of the time the PIC accepted the flight plan as prepared by the dispatcher.

For the other 5%, the most common issues were a request to add additional discretionary fuel due to poor weather, or an alternate change in cases of marginal alternates. It was rare that there was something "wrong" with the original flight plan, in the sense that something was incorrect or illegal. Most often it was a difference in judgement between dispatcher and PIC.

The fuel calculations themselves are done by software based on the multitude of inputs entered by the dispatcher and are quite accurate. In most cases slightly less fuel was burned than planned due to direct routings and generally being under planned weight.

Maybe pilots see it from a different point of view but that was my experience.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

That's a good summary A346dude. Anytime I've wanted to change a route (very rare) or an alternate the DX was usually leaning in that direction as well. Fuel wise the OFP's are amazingly accurate, the only discrepancy may come between the fuel policy and the comfort level of the crew especially when the weather is bad. Final say at my company policy wise is the most conservative option which is usually the PIC. Not many pilots complain about having too much gas although there are a few.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

In 20 years I can count on one hand the number of times I've asked for a change in the fp. Usually extra fuel for something the dispatcher was not aware of when the fp was completed. And those are the only times I've ever needed it. I will guess that 5% that get changed are the same Captains over and over.

ChrisGK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChrisGK »

All - thanks very much for the comprehensive feedback. It's very much appreciated!

Cheers, CGK

durkad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by durkad »

As a 705 DXPer the only other thing I would add is MEL discrepancy between pilot/MCC/DXP or adding an MEL which requires a revised OFP (pack inop/apu/etc). Besides that I'd say at the airline that I work at there is a very good pilot/DXPer relationship. In the end, we are both working towards the safe completion of the flight.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

timel wrote:I am getting tired of reading idiotic articles based on stupid researches.

WTF is wrong with you, dude? Did you pee the bed or something?

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

ogopogo wrote:

WTF is wrong with you, dude? Did you pee the bed or something?

Hmmmm, I was just wondering why ChrisGK came up with such a specific question. Like I said, I am tired to read Misleading informations in the news about aviation, I just wanted to make sure it is nOt an other witch hunt. Maybe I am pushing it too much. :wink:

Merry Xmas!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”