AVCANADA

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:03 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 1000 hour pilots
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:46 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Under the 1000 hour program, has or would Porter hire anyone straight from instructing? If so, anyone know how they're adjusting to flying the Q and in busy airspace?

Post subject: Re: 1000 hour pilots
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:42 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Location: Part of the "me, me, me" crowd, and loving every second of it.
By 1000 hours, is busy airspace still expected to be a challenge? Maybe they - you know - instructed in busy airspace?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:34 am 
Rank 8
Rank 8

I'd imagine Porter would be looking for people with 703/4/5 experience flying IFR.

Instructing VFR in busy airspace is quite a bit different than being IFR in busy controlled airspace. IFR training when it's actually busy is generally discouraged or simply not allowed by NOTAM.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:53 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

After just two flights off the island in a 172, I don't find YTZ hard to operate from at all. It's way less challenging than YYJ was.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:08 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

goingnowherefast wrote:
I'd imagine Porter would be looking for people with 703/4/5 experience flying IFR.

Instructing VFR in busy airspace is quite a bit different than being IFR in busy controlled airspace. IFR training when it's actually busy is generally discouraged or simply not allowed by NOTAM.
IFR is a lot easier.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:09 pm 
Rank 10
Rank 10

goingnowherefast wrote:

IFR training in busy IFR airspace is sometimes prohibited not because it is difficult but because of ATC workload. I never tought flying IFR in a busy airspace was particularly difficult.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:11 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Around the GTA it's neither prohibited nor discouraged. If you want practice approaches you need to book a slot, which enables ATC to provide a level of service.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:35 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

I can confirm IFR is way easier than VFR, especially in dense airspace. Although there is a little more to learn in the IFR world, almost everything IFR is already made for you when you fly. From SIDs to Arrivals and STARS, all you do is you follow the instructions on paper/Ipad and ATC instructions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:07 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

photofly wrote:
By 1000 hours, is busy airspace still expected to be a challenge? Maybe they - you know - instructed in busy airspace?

I only noticed this thread cause that's close to my TT. One Always reflects -- would I want to go down that path? Anyway --

Toronto isn't that crazy busy airspace, certainly not YTZ, at least to me. Try New York, Washington, Miami airspace. Much, much faster ATC instructions, and less tolerant of mistakes, too, being so busy.

Even getting a radio call into NY departure or approach is tough. Found that area slightly intimidating. I guess all what you're used to --

I found YVR trickier to deal with when there, too. Simply not enough terminal controllers, YYZ has lots of freqs which spreads things out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:06 pm 
Rank 5
Rank 5

Sky_Conqueror wrote:
I can confirm IFR is way easier than VFR, especially in dense airspace. Although there is a little more to learn in the IFR world, almost everything IFR is already made for you when you fly. From SIDs to Arrivals and STARS, all you do is you follow the instructions on paper/Ipad and ATC instructions.

That's a joke right?? Has to be or we are all screwed. Why is IFR easier when you have to follow instructions on charts iPads and atc? Vfr you don't need to do any of that. Seems easier to me. You've obviously never flown a twin turbine in shitty weather. Oh wait, you did confirm that so maybe you have...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:45 pm 
Rank 8
Rank 8

Does it really matter which is easier or harder? It's more to do with what relates to their operation. Porter flies IFR. I'd guess they are looking for people with IFR experience.