New Pilot owns plane looking for suggestions.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

New Pilot owns plane looking for suggestions.

Post by Kejidog »

Hey Folks.

I am a new licenced PPl living in Nova Scotia looking to build some hours. I am looking for some perhaps must do flights on the East coast I have been as far as Moncton and over across the Minas basin to tour the Halifax area. I would like to get a few cross countries under my belt further afield. I am really eager when the fine weather hits to do some "backcountry" type of trips into some under developed areas. Anyone care to enlighten me of some sweet spots and routes? Eventually I would like to branch out to Quebec and perhaps Ontario on some multi day flights. I have a 172g so nothing too "bushy" to start. I was thinking of a costal trip around Cape Breton and another down around the southern Coast of Nova Scotia.

If anyone can recommend a few unknown gems I would like to build my skills and photo library.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: New Pilot owns plane looking for suggestions.

Post by cncpc »

Kejidog wrote:Hey Folks.

I am a new licenced PPl living in Nova Scotia looking to build some hours. I am looking for some perhaps must do flights on the East coast I have been as far as Moncton and over across the Minas basin to tour the Halifax area. I would like to get a few cross countries under my belt further afield. I am really eager when the fine weather hits to do some "backcountry" type of trips into some under developed areas. Anyone care to enlighten me of some sweet spots and routes? Eventually I would like to branch out to Quebec and perhaps Ontario on some multi day flights. I have a 172g so nothing too "bushy" to start. I was thinking of a costal trip around Cape Breton and another down around the southern Coast of Nova Scotia.

If anyone can recommend a few unknown gems I would like to build my skills and photo library.

Thanks.
If you're gonna burn gas, and its your plane, and you want to be a better pilot, I suggest this.

Never mind cross countries. You know how to go from A to B already.

Do more circuits. Practice airspeed control on final. Imagine an engine failure on takeoff, on every takeoff, and what you would do. Work on the precision of your landings. First on the numbers, then on a specific part of the numbers. Look for places that might have crosswinds and go there if the winds are comfortable for you. Get better at crosswinds. Sidney is a good place with the two runways. Go places where you will get more exposure to ATC. Practice engine failures hundreds of times. Especially where there are no fields. Do not fly over the ocean beyond gliding distance from land.

Find a good IFR instructor, and get a course of some kind that tells you all about instruments and the physical problems of IFR flight. Take 20 hours of instrument training in your own airplane. Be able to make that 180 degree turn with confidence. After all that, never go into IMC. Take a night rating after the instrument training. Get really good on US entry and exit procedures.

Then, when you have 200 hours, and you've done this, go around the end of Fundy, past St. John and clear into the US at the closest point. Eastport. Then you are in a whole new world of aviation. Get down to Boston and New York. Take four and split the gas.

Nova Scotia is a beautiful part of Canada. It's beauty is partly the people on the ground. See it by car. Prepare yourself to take people on cross countries. Remember, it's all great fun till the noise stops and you aren't on the ground yet.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Kejidog wrote:Hey Folks.

Thanks.
If you're gonna burn gas, and its your plane, and you want to be a better pilot, I suggest this.

Never mind cross countries. You know how to go from A to B already.

Do more circuits. Practice airspeed control on final. Imagine an engine failure on takeoff, on every takeoff, and what you would do. Work on the precision of your landings. First on the numbers, then on a specific part of the numbers. Look for places that might have crosswinds and go there if the winds are comfortable for you. Get better at crosswinds. Sidney is a good place with the two runways. Go places where you will get more exposure to ATC. Practice engine failures hundreds of times. Especially where there are no fields. Do not fly over the ocean beyond gliding distance from land.

Find a good IFR instructor, and get a course of some kind that tells you all about instruments and the physical problems of IFR flight. Take 20 hours of instrument training in your own airplane. Be able to make that 180 degree turn with confidence. After all that, never go into IMC. Take a night rating after the instrument training. Get really good on US entry and exit procedures.

Then, when you have 200 hours, and you've done this, go around the end of Fundy, past St. John and clear into the US at the closest point. Eastport. Then you are in a whole new world of aviation. Get down to Boston and New York. Take four and split the gas.

Nova Scotia is a beautiful part of Canada. It's beauty is partly the people on the ground. See it by car. Prepare yourself to take people on cross countries. Remember, it's all great fun till the noise stops and you aren't on the ground yet.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I agree with everything cncpc says, except this:
Take four and split the gas.
Other than a local sightseeing flight on a perfect day, always leave the back two seats of any Cessna unoccupied for a cross country, until you are very experienced with the plane and carrying passengers. You want the extra payload for fuel, baggage and the emergency supplies you should be carrying, and you don't need three distracting people, each with their own agenda and personal needs. Fly with one other person, with whom you get along well.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Meh. Fly alone. It's the best company you'll ever find.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

Kejidog,

I will respectfully disagree with the previous posts. You are living the dream owning your own airplane with the ability to go whenever/where-ever you want. However, as a new PPL take it easy and expand your experience gradually with regards to flight planning and especially weather.

I have flown into Saint John a dozen or so times to visit my in-law but otherwise I don't find it particularly interesting :lol:

I'm on the other side of the country so unfortunately, I don't have a lot of "local" knowledge to help you. However, Charlottetown is nice in the summer.

When you start going a little further, the best "hidden gem" I can recommend is Rockcliffe Ontario, CYRO (Sherbrooke is a good fuel stop). You can park right next to the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum and walk right in.

Glenn

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

If you are planning to advance, first off, get night time. You will thank me later. Next, do trips you will never get to do later. I did The Bahamas in a 150! Spent two weeks scuba diving, enjoying local rum drinks. You will thank me later. Enjoy. I'm green.
Illya

Bottom line? Forget local trips. Forget Quebec. Forget Ontario. Go out there and get EXPERIENCE! Fill 'er up and FLY young grasshopper.....FLY!!!!

If you waste 200 hours doing circuits, and practicing "speed control" I will personally come kick your butt. Fill the tanks, check the weather, and put the spurs to her. Seriously mate. Go PLAY!'

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:If you are planning to advance, first off, get night time. You will thank me later. Next, do trips you will never get to do later. I did The Bahamas in a 150! Spent two weeks scuba diving, enjoying local rum drinks. You will thank me later. Enjoy. I'm green.
Illya

Bottom line? Forget local trips. Forget Quebec. Forget Ontario. Go out there and get EXPERIENCE! Fill 'er up and FLY young grasshopper.....FLY!!!!

If you waste 200 hours doing circuits, and practicing "speed control" I will personally come kick your butt. Fill the tanks, check the weather, and put the spurs to her. Seriously mate. Go PLAY!'
Practice your airspeed control. He won't come and kick your butt. Never wear spurs in the cockpit. He's not Australian.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

cncpc wrote:
Illya Kuryakin wrote:If you are planning to advance, first off, get night time. You will thank me later. Next, do trips you will never get to do later. I did The Bahamas in a 150! Spent two weeks scuba diving, enjoying local rum drinks. You will thank me later. Enjoy. I'm green.
Illya

Practice your airspeed control. He won't come and kick your butt. Never wear spurs in the cockpit. He's not Australian.
We'll meet in the middle. Practice you airspeed control on final to exotic ports of call. Like Spanish Wells, Vero Beach, small airports outside Canada, night landings everywhere...... don't squander this opportunity a) doing circuits b) flying locally. Get outsid the box. Stay inside the envelope, but explore.
You're going to burn the gas anyway.
Illya

frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

It is probably the only time in your life you'll be able to do that so, yes, explore !

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
cncpc wrote:
Illya

We'll meet in the middle. Practice you airspeed control on final to exotic ports of call. Like Spanish Wells, Vero Beach, small airports outside Canada, night landings everywhere...... don't squander this opportunity a) doing circuits b) flying locally. Get outsid the box. Stay inside the envelope, but explore.
You're going to burn the gas anyway.
Illya
Ha ha. Ok.

Yes, we are substantially in agreement. Go south. The gas is even cheaper.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Okay, okay, okay, yeah, go fly places. But, don't forget to practice your precision flying, and emergencies too! I've had my 150 for 30 years and 3000 hours now, and I still do some circuits, a few forced approaches, stall and spins every month, to stay sharp. There is no excuse not to!

And yes, flying places is cool too. I've had it all though the maritimes, right down the coast and to the Bahamas, down to Texas, and out to Alberta. My other plane I've had to the arctic, as a 150 is just not the right plane for that.

But always have a plan to get out of a bad situation on trips, it's too easy to get yourself into a bind by thinking that you have to get there!

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

PilotDAR wrote:
But always have a plan to get out of a bad situation on trips, it's too easy to get yourself into a bind by thinking that you have to get there!
Yup. If you have four hours of gas, land after 2.5. Three hour tank, land after 2.0. When in doubt, chicken out. Never NEED to get anywhere. There is always tomorrow. ENJOY!'
Illya

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Airspeed is an excellent tool for keeping trackof your flight performance, however there is a lag in airspeed indication.

One of the most common problems I found with pilots was chasing the airspeed especially on the climb out after take off, which if printed on a graph the climb path would look like a mini roller coaster.

A wing fly's on angle of attack.

Learn the importance of angle of attack and its relationship to airspeed.

Last edited by Cat Driver on Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
I agree. I actually laughed when I read that in the above posts. Circuits? I say go fly anywhere and everywhere. The US is great to fly to in a small single. The little airports treat you like a king. Practice your airspeed control when you're landing somewhere new like Illya says.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Fly. Fly as often and as much as you can.
After each flight to ask yourself what you could have done better.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with going for a little ride and then coming back and doing a few circuits.

It is about experience, and unless you have lots of time, x-countries can get cancelled for weather...suddenly a gap. Currency is really underrated.

There is more to flying then constantly getting instruction and practicing basic skills continiously.

A 50 mile x country on a nice morning or evening is magic.

And a 500 mile x country is just 10 , 50 mile continous legs..

Enjoy the plane..

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Hey Folks

Thanks for the tips. I have been flying quite a bit in the circuit getting my PPL. I have 50 hours since I got the plane in late July. Just did my first oil change under the tutelage of my local AME. It was interesting trying to put a hose on the quick drain. Especially since I never knew how easy it was to open it. I got the filter off and couldn't believe the torque it required to turn it. Much tighter than my motorcycle filter. I only managed to spill a little oil on my front wheel and the hangar floor! I got a good look at the engine area with the cowling off. I even managed to get it all together again.

The tips are very welcome though. I do plan to practice exercises every chance I get. I usually fly one or two circuits when I take off and return home. I got to take my two kids out last Monday we flew over Cape Split, ski Martock, our home in Halifax then a touchdown at CYHZ Just before a RJ that was behind us. My kids loved it. Then a quick hop to CCQ3 Total time 2 hours in the air.

I plan on several local flights although I think Sydney now charges landing fees. So I may head to port hawksbury and Margaree on Cape Breton. I am currently at 90 some hours total time. Hopefully I will get some clear cloud free days. I am shooting for another 50 hours before my annual in March. But if I don't I am still happy just being in the air.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Cat Driver wrote:Airspeed is an excellent tool for keeping trackof your flight performance, however there is a lag in airspeed indication.

One of the most common problems I found with pilots was chasing the airspeed especially on the climb out after take off, which if printed on a graph the climb path would look like a mini roller coaster.

A wing fly's on angle of attack.

Learn the importance of angle of attack and its relationship to airspeed.

Good tip. I found a website early on that was full of good info. I think it was av8n.com. And a file on there called see how it flies. Lots of good info on power curves airspeed and A of A. Worth a check for newbies like me.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I don't know if you like airplanes but I recommend flying to an airport called Dulles. They have a neat museum there.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Beefitarian wrote:I don't know if you like airplanes but I recommend flying to an airport called Dulles. They have a neat museum there.
The good old days are gone. I was in Dulles two weeks ago. It is indeed an adventure, but no VFR. To security sensitive we were told.
Illya

Return to “General Comments”