Instructing on my days off?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

vectorvictor2020
Rank 1
Rank 1

Instructing on my days off?

Post by vectorvictor2020 »

Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out if it is feesable to instruct while I'm on my days off. My schedual at work is 2weeks on 2 weeks off and at max fly 15-20 hours on the days I'm working.

Other thank CAR 720.15 is there anything stopping me from taking on students on my off time?

Cheers
Vic
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Instructing on my days off?

Post by photofly »

vectorvictor2020 wrote: Other thank CAR 720.15 is there anything stopping me from taking on students on my off time?
Um, do you have an instructor rating?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
vectorvictor2020
Rank 1
Rank 1

Yes I do

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Your employer might have some clause in your contract.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

Be careful about that. In regards to flight duty time, the days that you instruct also count as duty days. So make sure you take the required time off before you show up to work for your two weeks on.
One of our FOs got flagged in an audit last year because of it. first, check with your CP / Ops man, and then make sure you stop instructing a few days early enough to get the required days off to come back to work. Check with CARs.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

if you have to take days off and then work two weeks, you're not an attractive offer to students who want to fly in more than one week in four.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

photofly wrote:if you have to take days off and then work two weeks, you're not an attractive offer to students who want to fly in more than one week in four.
On the other hand, if the OP teaches their specialty at a college or something with the schedule made accordingly they can be a real asset. Break down that whole issue of he blind leading the blind and everyone wins. For example, if I was on a rotation like that and looking for extra cash I would seriously consider seeking work as an IFR instructor, maybe even in a sim (because not a duty day? Would have to look that up).

vectorvictor2020
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ok so flight instructors start a 14 hour duty day just like any other pilot? I'm trying to find any information that would be specific to instructing.

I know I'm the states it's something like only 8 hours of training per day.

vectorvictor2020
Rank 1
Rank 1

Teaching multi / IFR would be ideal I agree. Just might be a little harder to find unfortunately.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

vectorvictor2020 wrote:Ok so flight instructors start a 14 hour duty day just like any other pilot? I'm trying to find any information that would be specific to instructing.

I know I'm the states it's something like only 8 hours of training per day.
I don't believe anything has changed since I instructed and back then there were no limits on how many days in a row you could fly, or any sort of defined duty day. The issue you'll find is where your main job (which sounds like it's governed by the 700s CARs) requires a number of days free from flight duty and a minimum rest prior to work. The instructing job can't eat into that required rest if you intend to keep the airline job.

vectorvictor2020
Rank 1
Rank 1

i know that time for sure counts, being I cant fly over 60 hours in a 7 day period, 1200 annually Ect.... but if instructors don't have "duty days" does that mean I don't have to count these days towards the 720.19 time free from duty numbers?

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

vectorvictor2020 wrote:i know that time for sure counts, being I cant fly over 60 hours in a 7 day period, 1200 annually Ect.... but if instructors don't have "duty days" does that mean I don't have to count these days towards the 720.19 time free from duty numbers?

In my experience , transport does consider any sort of flying for pay as duty time.
But like mentioned above, you take the required time off in between, should work!

Edit: this is more so in correlation with your current 70x job!

10milefinal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 10milefinal »

Last edited by 10milefinal on Fri May 01, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Also remember that any violation or accident/incident may be a mark on your record regardless of the airplane you are flying.
Many years ago a company pilot was off duty and had an accident with his fathers private airplane. Although he was in compliance with all duty day regulations etc. TC also advised the pilot and company that even pleasure fyling in a private airplane counts toward total duty flying times. Do not know if that rule has been changed or not but it is something to be aware of. It is a fatigue thingee.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

A lot of people just don't tell the company what they are doing on their days off. But I do remember a couple of guys at my old company trashing floatplanes on their days off. One hit a power line and another hit the shore a little too hard if I remember correctly. A third guy sadly was killed although I think he may have been in the back seat. Tragic.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

My employer has it in writing that I require permission to fly for any other company.

I can fly privately whenever I'd like, although I am required to tell them about how much flying I do. It also can't interfere with flight time limitations.

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

vectorvictor2020 wrote:i know that time for sure counts, being I cant fly over 60 hours in a 7 day period, 1200 annually Ect.... but if instructors don't have "duty days" does that mean I don't have to count these days towards the 720.19 time free from duty numbers?
At minimum for CAR's you would need 3 days off after your rotation and 3 days off before your rotation unless your given days off mid rotation. Leaving you only 8 days for instruction, the other concern is what your company OP's manual says about outside work.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Why would you need 3 days off after your rotation?

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

ahramin wrote:Why would you need 3 days off after your rotation?

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... l-3359.htm
R740.19 Requirements for Time Free From Duty

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Yep. You'll notice it doesn't say anything about time free after a given period, only before. Once you are done your 705 work, 705 rules no longer apply (or 704 or whatever rules you are operating under).

Return to “General Comments”