Embarrassing Oops

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Embarrassing Oops

Post by pelmet »

Any suggestions on how to prevent such a situation.

"C-GLWJ, a de Havilland DHC-8 400 aircraft operated by WestJet Encore, was conducting flight WEN3485 from Halifax/Stanfield Intl, NS (CYHZ) to Ottawa/MacDonald-Cartier Intl, ON (CYOW). As the flight crew levelled the aircraft at the cruising altitude of FL240, the check pressurization light illuminated. The QRH and QRC were performed, the flight crew declared an emergency and descended to enter a hold in order to burn fuel to attain the required landing weight at CYHZ.
Through 5000 feet, the flight crew noted the bleed air switches were in the off position. The flight landed without further event. The operator’s maintenance determined that no faults were present. The aircraft was returned to service."
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Embarrassing Oops

Post by Rockie »

Follow SOP's and do a proper pre-flight check. And don't rush...it's not a scramble.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

pelmet wrote:Any suggestions on how to prevent such a situation.

"C-GLWJ, a de Havilland DHC-8 400 aircraft operated by WestJet Encore, was conducting flight WEN3485 from Halifax/Stanfield Intl, NS (CYHZ) to Ottawa/MacDonald-Cartier Intl, ON (CYOW). As the flight crew levelled the aircraft at the cruising altitude of FL240, the check pressurization light illuminated. The QRH and QRC were performed, the flight crew declared an emergency and descended to enter a hold in order to burn fuel to attain the required landing weight at CYHZ.
Through 5000 feet, the flight crew noted the bleed air switches were in the off position. The flight landed without further event. The operator’s maintenance determined that no faults were present. The aircraft was returned to service."
I'm a bit surprised that bleed air switches was not on the QRH for a check pressurization light. But even if it wasn't, I would like to think that if I were in the same situation, all that systems training we did in groundschool would come in useful for mentally working my way through the system to try to see if there was an easy to recognize (and hopefully correct) cause of the problem.

What Rockie said, too.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Is this covered in the after takeoff checks? Did they turn off bleed due to tailwind exhaust issue? Does WJE do a flow, and check list or a do list that got interrupted? is there a 10K check with check pressurization? Ad Nauseum etc..... Don't worry it will all come out in the SMS.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I can't see how their QRH would be much different than mine at Jazz, but for a CABIN PRESS (warning light) the first item on the checklist is Bleed Air 1 and 2 - ON/Normal

We also have a pressurization confirmation through 10000 because of an incident we had. Perhaps they should consider the same.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

rigpiggy wrote:Is this covered in the after takeoff checks? Did they turn off bleed due to tailwind exhaust issue? Does WJE do a flow, and check list or a do list that got interrupted? is there a 10K check with check pressurization? Ad Nauseum etc..... Don't worry it will all come out in the SMS.
I would think that it ought to be covered... my company has pressurization on the After Takeoff checklist, the 10,000 ft flows, the 18,000 ft checklist, and the Cruise checklist, etc. I was just working on the statement that they completed the QRH, so even if they skipped every other checklist up until that point, it should still have been covered.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

The operator’s maintenance determined that no faults were present. The aircraft was returned to service."
I wonder if they initially tried to cover up their failure by sending the plane to maintenance/ for a release ?

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

The operator’s maintenance determined that no faults were present.
Was that after the subject pilots left for the day ? :lol:

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Fatigue likely

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I find it hard to believe they could miss it in the after start checklist, then again at 10000 (if they have a check there) then again in the QRH.

gimmepars
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gimmepars »

pelmet wrote:
"As the flight crew levelled the aircraft at the cruising altitude of FL240, the check pressurization light illuminated."
How'd they get to FL240 before the light came on if the bleeds were never turned on after takeoff?

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

The Dash 8 has 2 Bleed Air Switches (On/Off) plus a Flow Rate selector (Min/Norm/Max).

Before Takeoff Checklist is usually
Bleeds......Min/Off

After Takeoff Checklist is usually
Bleeds......On/Norm

My guess is they turned the Bleeds On and left the rate at Min hence the delayed Pressurization light.

Just goes to show you what lower levels of experience brings you.

If I saw that light that would be the 1st thing I would have checked because I may know someone who has seen that light before :)

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Of note, I watched an Encore Q taxi out today to 17L in YYC with the left engine shut down. Is this now approved for operators?

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Oxi wrote:Of note, I watched an Encore Q taxi out today to 17L in YYC with the left engine shut down. Is this now approved for operators?
It must be approved for them, or they wouldn't do it. At Jazz, we do not have approval for single engine taxi out, but we do for on the way in.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Speaking of engine shutdown during operational procedures.....

I have seen a Jazz and an Encore Dash-8-400 beside each other getting de-iced. One had engines running, one had engines shut down.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

pelmet wrote:Speaking of engine shutdown during operational procedures.....

I have seen a Jazz and an Encore Dash-8-400 beside each other getting de-iced. One had engines running, one had engines shut down.
Okay, let me rephrase. De ice and taxi in to a gate/stop aside, speaking specifically taxi out to take off.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Not the first time this sort of oops has happened:
Incident: Transat B738 near Hamilton on Feb 28th 2015, cabin pressure uncontrollable

An Air Transat Boeing 737-800, registration F-GZHA performing flight TS-832 from Hamilton,ON (Canada) to Varadero (Cuba), was climbing through 15,000 feet out of Hamilton when the cabin altitude horn sounded. The crw worked the related checklists but was unable to control the cabin pressure. The aircraft was cleared to descend and returned to Hamilton for a safe landing.

Canada's TSB reported: "Examination of the aircraft determined that both engine bleed air switches were in the off position. Normally, these switches are selected off for engine start."

The occurrence aircraft remained on the ground until Mar 3rd 2015.

A replacement Boeing 737-800 reached Varadero with a delay of 8 hours.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Similar mistake presumed in this incident a few years back, only the outcome wasn’t so benign.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20050814-0

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

bobcaygeon wrote: Just goes to show you what lower levels of experience brings you.
You got some inside information suggesting the pilots were of low experience or just trying to promote an agenda?

Going for the deck at corner
frog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by frog »

TSB typo ?

On engines start, bleed air switches are on on the 738, packs switches are off.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”