Saving Money on Flight Training

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Saving Money on Flight Training

Post by 5x5 »

There are frequent and recurring threads started by people looking for some way to skirt the regulations or discover some inventive way to rent planes cheaper, get cheaper instruction or double up experience, etc, etc, etc.

Realizing that folks new to flight training don't necessarily understand all the rules I would like to suggest a 3 step, sure-fire, 100% successful way to save money on flight training that is completely within the rules.

1. Prepare for each flight with a thorough review of each of the exercises you will be practicing. Reread the notes you took during the prep-ground session (you did take notes, right?). Reread the Flight Training Manual. Read as much and as many resources as you can find. The purpose of a flight is to use and physically practice the procedures and skills that you intellectually KNOW. Be prepared!

2. Fly as frequently as you can. Schedule 5 or 6 times a week and even with bad weather or maintenance cancellations you'll get out 4 or 5 times a week. Skills develop so much more quickly without big gaps in between lessons.

3. Don't cancel lessons based on a forecast. They are frequently inaccurate. You've already scheduled the time, go to the airport and make use of it. The weather is frequently better than forecast and even if it sucks, use the time for more review. Perhaps an extra ground brief with your instructor would be beneficial? Sit in an airplane and do some dry time. Take the time to thoroughly look at the aircraft and pay attention to all the details of all the pieces and parts. Simply chat with other folks that are there - immerse yourself in aviation.

Those 3 simple things will absolutely save you time and money and as an added benefit, you'll be a much better pilot at the end of it all.
---------- ADS -----------

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Saving Money on Flight Training

Post by photofly »

4. Review the previous lesson properly. You paid $200-$300 for it, get your money's worth. So go home, sit in a quiet space, review your notes, and try to recall everything you learned and everything you saw and did. Make written notes to help your recall. Then do the same again two days later, reviewing the notes you made. And again, another two days after that. By the time you turn up for the following lesson you should be able to remember and recite a blow-by-blow account of everything you saw and did the previous time. How much will this extra work cost you? $0.00. It's all FREE.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maturepilot83 »

5. Forget the fancy aviation watch and cool headset
6. Not jiving with your instructor? Get a new one. Don't wait.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Actually I would say do get an ANR headset. It makes you less fatigued, which helps concentration, and you can hear what your instructor is saying better.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Before your IFR training, practice on Flight sim.

Do it with the cessna, then the Mooney, (it's harder) then dial in 30 knot upper winds in the program. If you can do approaches that way, the real thing will be a relative snap, cause accurate IFR in FS is a real frustrating pain --

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Vast majority of training can also be done in a 150/152. Saves a few bucks over a 172. In my renting days, I only rented a 172 when I wanted to take a 2nd passenger.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If you and your instructor fit in a 150.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Haha, well if you don't fit, then it limits your options. Provided you are comfortable in the plane, the 150/152 is probably a better training platform. I did my entire PPL in a 150. Have a bit of a soft spot for that plane.

My favourite of the Cessna line is the 152 (well second to the 185, but different purpose)

Vico56
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vico56 »

Thanks for this thread guys !

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Wow, what great replies! 'kinda makes me want to learn to fly all over again, and do it right this time!

The only thing I would add, is that if you would like to get a job flying one day, or attain the skill to avoid being in an accident as a recreational pilot, save the money which you would have to spend down the line if you did not get trained right, by getting trained right at the beginning. Do not try to minimize the training you take, and when your instructor tells you you've got it, ask about learning another skill or type. Once you have a PPL, you have a license to learn, go learn some more (which will involve an instructor again, or other mentoring). New pilots have no idea how many piloting skills are not trained at all in the basic PPL training syllabus!

maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maturepilot83 »

photofly wrote:Actually I would say do get an ANR headset. It makes you less fatigued, which helps concentration, and you can hear what your instructor is saying better.
For sure if one can afford it! But for a thousand bucks and a young kid working a minimum wage job to pay for his dreams, that money sure does go a long way for training...

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

An ANR headset is worth it if you are going to fly 3000hrs in 4 years. If your entire flying "career" is going to be 3000hrs, it's probably not worth it. I loved my $300 David Clarke. I also love my $1200 Lightspeed that I wore for almost 8 hours today. When I sent my Lightspeed back to be refurbished, I used my DC for a few weeks. Nice to have a backup available.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It's just my opinion, but I disagree. From the point of view of making effective use of precious and expensive training time, reducing the noise level in your ears makes the flight more relaxing and aids learning and understanding. It's the same price as four or five hours of flight training and I'd recommend it even to someone who flies even only rarely once they get a ppl.

Bajszi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bajszi »

I agree 100% with many of you guys.

In the military we had chair-flying usually as a debrief suggestion especially at the beginning of the training. It costs nothing and can get the procedures in your brain really well. What I've experienced in the civilian instructing though (not as an instructor, but worked around many schools in Europe and Canada) is that there are many students who expects to know the stuff but doesn't want to put enough time into this other than the flying portion. That will not work as good and will cost way more at the end.

Cheers

Return to “Flight Training”