Sky regional

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Sky regional

Post by Art Garfunkel »

I wouldn't say the working atmosphere is horrible. But it's not great either. Please look past the starting two year salaries and look at the entire package before making a decision. Way way way more pilots that chose Jazz over Sky, three years ago, are at mainline now.

The scary thing about signing on to Sky is, the probation is about to move to one year and with no union protection, they don't even need a reason to say goodbye. Even after you have left your comfortable job and perhaps moved across the country. Internal policies and procedures change every day to suit their needs.

Good Luck!!

Art
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

How hard is it to sign a union card? Not that difficult.

The majority of Express pilots will never fly mainline metal. Best to take a good look at what conditions exist at your current employer and make a decision about whether that is acceptable or not.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

80% of the Express pilots WILL be flying at Air Canada. Pretty good odds, if you ask me.

Flyer

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

flyer 1492 wrote:80% of the Express pilots WILL be flying at Air Canada. Pretty good odds, if you ask me.

Flyer
Really? What percentage of Express pilots applied? What percentage received job offers?

Once the dust settles the Express pilot list(s) will be populated by a combination of pilots that never signed up for the PML, pilots that signed up but were rejected, and pilots that signed up and are either waiting for their course at AC or waiting for their application to be processed.

The fact is that the Express list(s) will always be populated by a majority of pilots that are for one reason or another not going to AC. However, based on the 80% target for new-hires, an application from an Express pilot that meets all of the AC hiring criteria is likely a good bet at a job offer from AC.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

flyer 1492 wrote:80% of the Express pilots WILL be flying at Air Canada. Pretty good odds, if you ask me.

Flyer
Once the 80% do the video interview, interview, cog test, psych exam, medical etc the actual rate is quite a bit lower. I've heard a roughly 30% rejection rate.

Let’s Go Brandon
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Inverted2 wrote:

Flyer
Once the 80% do the video interview, interview, cog test, psych exam, medical etc the actual rate is quite a bit lower. I've heard a roughly 30% rejection rate.
Wonder how those in the 30% feel about being crushed by AC's hiring process?

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

Flyer
I think what you mean to say is that Air Canada MIGHT hire UP TO 80% of IT'S pilots from Express. This is a crucial distinction.

PROC_HDG

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

I agree. People still are not realizing that the PML 2.0 is UP TO 80% Express pilots being hired by Air Canada. It could be only 10% or 20%. So Rudder is correct in saying look at your current conditions and see if they are satisfactory. Air Canada has never liked to hire from their own in the past. In the years 2005-2009, Jazz trained and Air Canada motivated hundreds of Westjet hires.

Time for AC Express carriers to band together under one voice and tell AC, Express pilots are professionals too and should be treated like such. No more substandard pensions, C4 travel benefits, etc, etc, etc.

Art

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Ok Art,
Tell us how and to what level are express pilots going to TELL AC that they demand more. Do you honestly think that they are going to start handing out C2 travel passes to non employees? You do realize that express pilots are not employees of AC. They are simply employees of a service provider.
Furthermore, your exhortation that AC should increase the pension for express pilots is wishful thinking at best. New hire AC pilot's do not even receive the same pension now as those in the past.
Anyone going to express (Jazz and Sky) should be under No illusions as to their respective standing in the pecking order and eyes of AC.
I am not trying to piss on your foot, but just want perspective pilots of express to realize that the plane may look like AC, but the terms of employment, renumeration, benefits, etc. are not AC.
It does not mean that it is a shoddy place to work, nor should it be avoided, but a realistic outlook is in order.
Cheers.

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

Wow. I am sorry you feel that way Tailgunner. Many of the fine pilots I know over at AC don't share your views and in fact wish for better working conditions at the Express carriers. I never said conditions should be on par but a serious improvement could be made.

Remember the airplanes Sky operates and a good many that GGN operate were once operated by AC pilots with better working conditions. I see the big 3 carriers down south are now adding the 75 seat range jets to their pay scales. Ever wonder why this is being done? Maybe they are trying to help their fellow brothers/sisters instead of pissing on their feet.

Art

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

tailgunner wrote: I am not trying to piss on your foot, but just want perspective pilots of express to realize that the plane may look like AC, but the terms of employment, renumeration, benefits, etc. are not AC.
It does not mean that it is a shoddy place to work, nor should it be avoided, but a realistic outlook is in order.
Cheers.
You're correct. Other than the remuneration and the aircraft, the benefits and working conditions are better at Jazz than AC. Just ask any Jazz pilot that has gone over to AC

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”