Is there really a shortage of Canadian pilots?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rayban
Rank 1
Rank 1

Is there really a shortage of Canadian pilots?

Post by rayban »

I read a posting today from a Canadian regional operator seeking captains and I was surprised to see that they are now seeking applicants from Europe, USA and Africa. I guess operators looking for qualified applicants have no need to improve remuneration or working conditions for Canadians if they can just seek applicants from anywhere. I certainly hope this doesn't become a trend. I've pasted an excerpt of the ad in question. I've obscured the name of said operator in the hopes that the mods here don't pull my posting. My intention is to engage the pilot community in a discussion of this relatively new tactic on the part of certain operators.

If you are interested in a Captain position, submit your resume with three References and cover letter to employment@e***air.com, please quote “1900D Captain Position” in subject. Thank you to everyone expressing an interest in joining our E** Air team. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.

NOTE: Help will be provided to those applicants who meet the qualifications listed above. European, American, and African applicants - with the experience listed above - are welcome to apply.
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Is there really a shortage of Canadian pilots?

Post by 7ECA »

Of course not, what is more likely occurring is a shortage of pilots willing to work for peanuts - or to take significant pay cuts to "move up" in the industry.

There may also be a shortage of people completing CPLs, something which we used to know as TC published the stats on a yearly basis... And then there are the large percentages of people who get their CPL, but then leave the industry.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Some companies struggle much more than others in finding new pilots. Level of desparity tends to roughly correlate to WAWCON offered by said employers. Although many other factors apply too.

There is a shortage of pilots willing to put up with poor treatment, but you'll find that in any industry.

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

Maybe there is.
A YYZ Lear 45 operator is posting for a Capt. Position only requiring 2000TT.
I know they'll find someone much more qualified than that - but to even post that seems crazy to me. A Lear 45 is no wild animal like a Beech 1900 which usually asks for 3000+TT but seriously.

Everything's amazing right now, and nobody's happy.
- Louis CK
BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I believe that Canada only had about 350 applicants for ATPL's last year IIRC.

Forecast hiring at Air Canada is around 400 in 2017 I believe
WestJet ~150 to maybe even close to 200 if you believe the rumours
Air Transat ??
Sunwing - there was a Captain opening as of December. If you're Canadian, good luck.
Jazz - ??
Encore - 120
Calm Air - ?

Maybe some people have better numbers than I have but even if only Air Canada and WestJet are hiring, they'll soak up all the new ATPL applicants over the next 6 months.

If this trend continues, you'll see a shortage and eventually more foreign pilots than Sunwing can handle.

Pilot shortage, maybe.
Pilots willing to work 20 days for peanuts - now there's your problem.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Looks like jazz slated to hire 200-250 this year...

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Rowdy wrote:Looks like jazz slated to hire 200-250 this year...
On the first day, the head of Flight Ops said 350.

To answer the OP, I'd say maybe not now but soon. Just look at the job ads here. I've never seen it the way it is now for the few years I've been in aviation. When Navajo companies are having trouble finding 1000 hour DECs because they would rather stay where they are and go to Jazz at 1500-2000 it's a sign. Look at CMA, they have FO's who don't want to upgrade because they'd rather go to a bigger regional and the Captains they do have are all leaving.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Black_Tusk wrote:
Rowdy wrote:Looks like jazz slated to hire 200-250 this year...
On the first day, the head of Flight Ops said 350..
Thats the total to replace the movement to AC after the first PML

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I see. So basically 200-250 for normal filling of positions that are currently vacant and then likely another 100 to fill the positions of those going to AC.

Return to “Employment Forum”