Jazz Reqiurements?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Jazz Reqiurements?

Post by jane »

Hi everyone,

I have about 1400hrs with 460hrs of multi time (Prop driven) and currently working towards my AAs. I only have a valid IATRA as of now and no degree/diploma. No commercial experience either. What are the chances of Jazz considering someone these days with my kind of experience??

Any info/guidance on this would be awesome. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Jazz Reqiurements?

Post by HansDietrich »

jane wrote:Hi everyone,

I have about 1400hrs with 460hrs of multi time (Prop driven) and currently working towards my AAs. I only have a valid IATRA as of now and no degree/diploma. No commercial experience either. What are the chances of Jazz considering someone these days with my kind of experience??

Any info/guidance on this would be awesome. Thanks!

Hey, it's hard to say. I didn't have my AAs when I applied to Jazz and they called me, but I had more time than you (2500+), including turbine, multi turbine pic.

Das ist mir wurst...
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Jane, can you clarify what you mean by "no commercial experience" are you saying you built that time flying privately?

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

Ive got just over 1050TT with 565 turbine (multi-crew, commercial flying) and AAs done, but havent heard back. Just depends on how they're feeling the day they look at resumes. My 2 cents

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

yycinformer wrote:Ive got just over 1050TT with 565 turbine (multi-crew, commercial flying) and AAs done, but havent heard back. Just depends on how they're feeling the day they look at resumes. My 2 cents
That's a bit disrespectful to the HR department, my 2 cents! Anyhow, both posters above have more experience, one was called and one wasn't but I guarantee it has nothing to do with how they were feeling the day they looked at the resumes!
I have talked to HR in respect to pilot hiring and HR forwards resumes that meet or exceed what they want and they are reviewed further for candidates to be selected for an interview. If you meet the minimum and weren't called for an interview, it means they had better qualified pilots to select from or maybe they put them on the wall and throw darts to see who they call, you know depending on how they feel that day!
BTW, I'm personally offended that at 1050 TT, you feel slighted by an airline, this entitled group that's coming into this industry these days. Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll be a 67 skipper by next year!

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

yycinformer wrote:Ive got just over 1050TT with 565 turbine (multi-crew, commercial flying) and AAs done, but havent heard back. Just depends on how they're feeling the day they look at resumes. My 2 cents
I have personally not heard of or seen anyone with 1000 hours of right seat time get hired unless they were from a Jazz award college program.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Here's a thread with a very similar title and identical topic.

http://avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=112052

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

mbav8r wrote:
That's a bit disrespectful to the HR department, my 2 cents! Anyhow, both posters above have more experience, one was called and one wasn't but I guarantee it has nothing to do with how they were feeling the day they looked at the resumes!
I have talked to HR in respect to pilot hiring and HR forwards resumes that meet or exceed what they want and they are reviewed further for candidates to be selected for an interview. If you meet the minimum and weren't called for an interview, it means they had better qualified pilots to select from or maybe they put them on the wall and throw darts to see who they call, you know depending on how they feel that day!
BTW, I'm personally offended that at 1050 TT, you feel slighted by an airline, this entitled group that's coming into this industry these days. Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll be a 67 skipper by next year!

It would be great if every pilot coming through the ranks should have to personally feel what it was like in 2001-2006 or 2009-2012 when we would see 1-2 jobs posted per month in a good month not 1-2 per day. The entitlement and lack of appreciation for what people have gone through just in the last half decade to get where they're at is pretty sad to say the least. If the cycles tell us anything, they will....and it will be the shock of a lifetime.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

This article is pre Sept. 11, 2001. The outlook was pretty gloomy even before that day.

http://www.canadianshipper.com/transpor ... 000001286/

This current crazy train is going to end and everything always goes great right up until it doesn't. Maybe it will happen in 1 year, maybe in 10 years. Based on the past cycle lengths, probably in 4 or 5 years. Just make sure you enjoy the ride and don't piss off anybody along the way. Who knows, you might be begging for your previous job back. Even if it's flying 0.3 in a tired 180 on leaky floats to fix a broken outhouse toilet seat in the afternoon heat, cobwebs, stink and all.

jane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jane »

mbav8r wrote:Jane, can you clarify what you mean by "no commercial experience" are you saying you built that time flying privately?
Sorry my bad! No "operational" experience! Mostly instructing

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Then perhaps might I suggest getting a job that will get you commercial experience? There's a lot of great gig right now and some of my best flying were on 703. You'd be missing out going straight from instructing to 705.

I can tell you from the last couple of classes, most of the experience ranged between 2000 and 4000 hours, you wouldn't be competitive at this point.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Hang in there Jane, work hard, get that multi time (and multi PIC) build up and before you know, you'll be at Jazz. I flew many years in the North before getting a job with Jazz. It hasn't been this good (in aviation) for a long time. We should enjoy it, instead of always longing for that next step...

- "Oh I can't wait to get my CPL..."
- "Oh I can't wait to get that first job..."
- "Oh I can't wait to go right seat on a turbine..."
- "Oh I can't wait to go left seat on that turbine to get that multi PIC..."
- "Oh I can't wait to to leave this 703 / 704 world and go to the regional..."
- "Oh I can't wait to go left seat on the Dash, so I can make more money..."
- "Oh I can't wait to go to Air Canada on an Airbus..."
- "Oh I can't wait to have a good schedule and not have to work weekends..."
- "Oh I can't wait to.... retire...."

I know I'm guilty of (sometimes) acting that way. I guess the Northern winters got to me and now I am just glad to have a schedule and not freeze my @$$ off.

Good luck

Das ist mir wurst...
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

:prayer:

cdnpilot77 wrote:
mbav8r wrote:

It would be great if every pilot coming through the ranks should have to personally feel what it was like in 2001-2006 or 2009-2012 when we would see 1-2 jobs posted per month in a good month not 1-2 per day. The entitlement and lack of appreciation for what people have gone through just in the last half decade to get where they're at is pretty sad to say the least. If the cycles tell us anything, they will....and it will be the shock of a lifetime.

limaoscarlima
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by limaoscarlima »

does anyone know if college or university diploma/degree adds to your application to jazz?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I sure don't think it will detract, plus if it's on the application it will have some bearing in one way or another. They don't ask questions just to ask questions lol

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

What if you are a current Jazz employee in a non-pilot position but an operation position but is still building time to one day get into Jazz as a pilot, will being a current Jazz employee help in any way getting a flight position of course when you have the required time.

Does being on the inside help, I guess is what I'm asking.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

marakii wrote:What if you are a current Jazz employee in a non-pilot position but an operation position but is still building time to one day get into Jazz as a pilot, will being a current Jazz employee help in any way getting a flight position of course when you have the required time.

Does being on the inside help, I guess is what I'm asking.
Absolutely it does. You wouldn't get to keep your old seniority but having already working there would be a huge advantage. You would still have to have the hours they are looking for but right now they are hiring pilots with quite low hours.

Let’s Go Brandon
Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bajan Pilot »

As long as he/she transfers to a flying position, company seniority is maintained i.e. travel priority, vacation bidding . All seniority for the new position starts when you are put on the seniority list.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

The only thing you would carry forward to the flight line is your employee number and travel seniority.
Everything else starts as zero on day one of GS

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I thought vacation was also carried forward.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”