PILOT JOBS

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

PILOT JOBS

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

It's been a while since I've seen this many jobs advertised here. Pilots: make sure you're in the seat you want to be in when the music stops.
Operators: Take your bonds and stuff them.
The times, they are a changing.

Illya
---------- ADS -----------

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
duro195
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: PILOT JOBS

Post by duro195 »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:Pilots: make sure you're in the seat you want to be in when the music stops.
+1

Here's hoping the small operators will pay better to try to keep their pilots and resist the urge of imposing longer bonds... Although the latter might end up being the preferred method.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

duro195 wrote:
Illya Kuryakin wrote:Pilots: make sure you're in the seat you want to be in when the music stops.
+1

Here's hoping the small operators will pay better to try to keep their pilots and resist the urge of imposing longer bonds... Although the latter might end up being the preferred method.
Then it may be time for some to go out of business? With the hiring climate right now, only the very foolish would sign anything at all.

Illya

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

There's a place where you have to sign 36 000$ for 3 years (705), believe it or not.

Mercator
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mercator »

Looking at the northern thunderbird FO kingair 350 job posting - 2000 total time and 400 multi pic...previously rejected candidates need not apply.....doesn't seem like it's buyers market.

Or wait a minute .....poster probably meant Airbus 350. :roll:

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

There's a place where you have to sign 36 000$ for 3 years (705), believe it or not.
ah, no there is not...there is absolutely no company in Canada where you "have" to sign any type of bond.
You sign it because you want to work there and it is a condition of work..You have options other than "having" to sign the bond.

And don't tell me you "have" to sign or they won't hire you. Walk away...leave that job to the stupids.
The reason they get away with this is because people believe they "have" to. They never simply consider walking away.
No job is that important, and you are fooling yourself if you rationalize otherwise.

On the other hand, the reality is there is a whole bunch of scumbag pilots out there who are sending out resumes for their next job before their current indoctrination training is done....companies have to be very careful who they hire.
As to wages, etc...Wont make a difference. It is all about chasing metal to most new pilots.
Sign a bond..." I had to" Wash the bosses car? Of course..Shows I am a team player.
ILLYA... look at the thread on that particular FTU. Despite many many testimonials, there will still be pilots applying for a job there.
Wasting our time trying to share any wisdom here.

Scumbags are scumbags and little difference on which side of the table they are sitting.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I noticed Northwright had a pretty high time request at nearly 5000 hrs for a 1900 driver.

Guess the NWT didn't get the message about EVAS, Georgian, Sunwest, Pacific Coastal and CMA struggling to find crew for their 1900s at half that amount.

With Jazz and Encore switching on the experience vacuum for the foreseeable future, regional carriers not connected to some sort of feeder unit are going to be feeling the pinch. Some worse than others.

Nearly every job I've worked at has required some sort of bond/handshake agreement and I've never broken those commitments. Those systems are in place because of the dishonest losers who checkout during line indoc as described above and take a job they knowingly won't fulfill.

Racing to the bottom as they reach for the top.

My 2 pence.

S.

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Pilots: make sure you're in the seat you want to be in when the music stops.

Illya
That's what I talk to everyone I fly with who has 1500 hours and 0 command time looking to move on. What will you do when sh*t hits the fan and you get laid off from Jazz/Encore/sky..etc. There will be hundreds on the street, all with the same low experience level. It may not happen, but what if.

I guess I should write something here.
bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

I have the impression that there may be a lot of jobs with the regionals but not with 703 operators... I have been applying to every single 703 FO job posted (PC12, King Air, Navajo, etc...) with 1000 TT and 850 PIC and still have had no calls/emails back for interviews.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

bearitus wrote:I have the impression that there may be a lot of jobs with the regionals but not with 703 operators... I have been applying to every single 703 FO job posted (PC12, King Air, Navajo, etc...) with 1000 TT and 850 PIC and still have had no calls/emails back for interviews.

Get someone to look over your resume and cover letter, it might be weak / look unprofessional/ could be missing something or have too much. With 1000TT companies should be at least giving a call back these days.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

fish4life wrote:
bearitus wrote:I have the impression that there may be a lot of jobs with the regionals but not with 703 operators... I have been applying to every single 703 FO job posted (PC12, King Air, Navajo, etc...) with 1000 TT and 850 PIC and still have had no calls/emails back for interviews.

Get someone to look over your resume and cover letter, it might be weak / look unprofessional/ could be missing something or have too much. With 1000TT companies should be at least giving a call back these days.
Agreed. You should be getting some interest. Exams written? What part of the country do you call home?
Illya

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

I'm in a similar situation as bearitus. A little more total time, exams written, cover letter and resume checked by a couple of experienced aviation people.
May be wrong but I get the sense that everybody wants 200-300 hours multi at least, I don't have that. Catch 22, need more multi time to get a job but need a job to get that multi time. I'm not an instructor or in a position to go out and buy 100 hrs in a twin.

Mercator
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mercator »

Same here .... exams complete 1500+ on the experience. Had my résumé looked at by couple professional pilots.. The key is the multi. I have under 50 Mult , so no joy.
The multi engine experience goes to guys who ramp it to flight line, or you need to have an internal reference to make it to an interview.
Looks like the imviation to the party is for multi guys mainly ... read as * preffered in the job postings.
Preferred really means required .

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

The single PIC time will serve you well...you'll get a break at some point for the multi time you need...just keep pushing. It will come. If you are so desperate for multi time look at an FO job on a turbo prop with a hopeful quick upgrade. The whole one step back idiom is very applicable in aviation.

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

Thanks for all the responses. I am currently employed flying single engine survey in Eastern Canada however I am open to move anywhere and have been stating that in my resume. I agree with the multi time being the show stopper. Seems like many multi FO jobs expect multi/turbine time along with a PPC in advance which makes no sense. In terms of my resume and cv I used a template similar to xsbank's one and it is pretty strong in my opinion. I am planning a road trip in late March to hopefully speed things up...

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

A word to the wise...
GET THE NIGHT TIME!!
You'll thank me for this later. Work with a couple of chaps with the time for the ATPL, but no night time. The piwers that be seem to think, a certain number of hours sitting with your thumb up your bum, with the auto pilot flying the machine at NIGHT, make you more worthy of a licence?
DO IT.
Illya

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

There is nothing wrong with requiring a small amount of night time for the ATPL. It can be very different than flying in the day. Especially in sparsely settled areas. The requirements for an ATPL in this country are too lenient not too strict.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Ancient wrote:There is nothing wrong with requiring a small amount of night time for the ATPL. It can be very different than flying in the day. Especially in sparsely settled areas. The requirements for an ATPL in this country are too lenient not too strict.
Agreed. Our A is a joke. 1500hrs and two archaic exams. They still have questions on them pertaining to loran c and the 727!!! Even the Americans have seen the light and mandated their bare bones A as a requirement for all airline ops. Look at Europe, 14 bloody exams! Issa joke here! Night pic cross country? Seriously?

As for the flight times, they aren't nixing you because you have no multi. Many get hired with only single PIC time into those spots. Maybe it is where you worked? Maybe it's the format? Maybe there is another quirk there... speaking of....

I was turned down for a handful of jobs throughout the rest of Canada because I was a 'west coast hippie' ! No joke. Two separate CP's told me they don't hire anyone from Vancouver. Amazing what is allowed in this industry that wouldn't fly elsewhere (bazinga)

Is our glorious XSBANK still reviewing resumes? Top notch chap. There are a couple of others if he isn't. Hell I'll look it over if no one else will.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Glorious? Hmmm, probably not glorious but certainly busy. The problem is that the resumes take so long to do and there is only so much time in the year and the resumes crowd out the other fun stuff I want to do.

There is a point of resistance where it becomes too much for the average pilot to see the value, until and unless it gets them a job, then it's priceless. Before that and right up to the point they get the job, it is just an expense. I don't want to do them for free as there is a large opportunity cost to spending time on them.

Some of my clients continue to update me with their progress through the industry as many have gotten their start clutching one of my resumes. Of all the people I have written for, only one guy stiffed me out of the fee and he is likely not in the industry any more anyway. Not one of "us."

So, having said all that, Send me your resumes as a Word or Pages file as a pm and I'll assess and comment on some to try and gauge the stuff you guys are sending out. Then we'll see.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Not exactly overwhelmed...

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."