Class 4 Flight Instructor with a newborn baby

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jlone23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Class 4 Flight Instructor with a newborn baby

Post by jlone23 »

Hello,

I would like to get some advise from experts who currently work in the industry or used to work in the industry.
I graduated from a college with aviation diploma last year and am working on a instructor rating and expect to be done soon. I heard a new that my wife got pregnant last December and expect to have a baby in this July. It is exciting news but also it scares me due to my financial situation. The main problem is my wife is currently living in a different city with her parents and told me she won't move in with me until I get enough income to support her and a baby. I understand I have full responsibility for that, however I would like to find a solution, so I can live with my family. Fortunately, I had some phone calls from different flight schools that they are interested hiring me when I finish my rating, but the pay is main thing I concern at this moment. One company told me they will pay about 1900-2000 bucks per month salary with living in a small city, one company told me $500 base and $25 per hour with also living in a small city, and the others told me $25-30 per hour but living in a major city. I had an amazing opportunity to get into a flight school that pays good enough salary for my family, however I couldn't pass the interview, and now I got into a difficult situation. I am ready to work as hard as I can to live with my family, but I don't know which choice above will be the best choice for me. It would be great if I can get some other people's opinions. Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

cxchd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Class 4 Flight Instructor with a newborn baby

Post by cxchd »

I had 2 kids and wife and a mortgage. I was a licensed Millwright (industrial mechanic) when I decided to teach flying. I already had a commercial license. It took a while, but I was able to get a job close to home teaching part time.. I was able to still make the money as a full time Millwright and build my flight time. Although this was a slow route, I made very valuable contacts while teaching. Today I fly a 767 and haven't looked back. Its not easy, but can be done. You will need some kind of a second job while instructing especially during the lean winter months to support mother and child. Good luck.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

cxchd wrote:I had 2 kids and wife and a mortgage. I was a licensed Millwright (industrial mechanic) when I decided to teach flying. I already had a commercial license. It took a while, but I was able to get a job close to home teaching part time.. I was able to still make the money as a full time Millwright and build my flight time. Although this was a slow route, I made very valuable contacts while teaching. Today I fly a 767 and haven't looked back. Its not easy, but can be done. You will need some kind of a second job while instructing especially during the lean winter months to support mother and child. Good luck.

Great story!

What did you fly in between instructing and the 767?

Thanks

flyingsti
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyingsti »

It's going to be hard, I work as a lifeguard and class 3 instructor as of this week. I'm working almost all the time, when I'm not I'm looking after the baby or sleeping. My wife is doing daycare so it makes it a little bit easier when it comes to finances and not having to also afford daycare ontop of everything else.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Spring is around the corner, maybe you should jump in with both feet and get a charter job...I don't know what your quals are but instructing is a very meagre living. Life is what happens to you while you are making plans...

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
jlone23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jlone23 »

Thank you everyone for good advice. I know it will be hard for next couple years, but I will be okay as long as I can stay with my wife and a baby.
I want to find a best option that I can possibly work with another job.
xsbank wrote:Spring is around the corner, maybe you should jump in with both feet and get a charter job...I don't know what your quals are but instructing is a very meagre living. Life is what happens to you while you are making plans...
Do you know any charter that I can work at the same time as instructing? Since I am a low time pilot (about 300hours), I think it will be hard to find an charter job.

Gorazing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gorazing »

Hey jbone23,

I made an account just to discuss an opportunity with you.

PM me if you want more info on a decent instructing gig with room for advancement.

Return to “Employment Forum”