Gipsy Major Propeller

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cerbert
Rank 0
Rank 0

Gipsy Major Propeller

Post by cerbert »

Hello All,

I received this propeller from my father. It was my grandfathers and he came across it when he was working at an airline company long ago. I was wondering if someone here can help me identify the plane it originated from? I tired searching but there was too many types to sort out so I thought maybe someone with more experience in this area would know.

The markings on the propeller is as follows:

DRG.Z.8010/4.
GIPSY MAJOR.I.D
D6-10 P3.53

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Cheers,
cerbert
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (675.82 KiB) Viewed 6978 times
fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Gipsy Major Propeller

Post by fleet16b »

DeHavilland DH82C Tigermoth most likley

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Maybe a chipmunk?

cerbert
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cerbert »

I think I may have found the plane!

Design Number Aircraft Engine Blades Dia Pitch Comments
Z.8010/4 Auster 6,7 Gipsy Major-Series 7 2 6.10' 3.56'

According to this link - http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Britishprops.htm

Cheers,
cerbert

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Hmm possible that it could be from an Auster mk 6 but most Austers had the metal Fairy/Reed prop
Still an nice artifact that would look good on a wall
Are there any decals on the blades ?

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
cerbert
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cerbert »

Negative. The paint on the front side of the propeller was striped a long time ago and varnished. The rear side looks like it still has original black paint! But no decals on the rear facing side. :(

What would be your best guess as to the plane it came from if it wasn't from an Auster?

cerbert

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

It would really help to see a pic of the whole prop but most likely it came off of a Chipmunk , Auster or Tigermoth

jhartsho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jhartsho »

I'm replying to an old post but I'm hoping that someone can help me.
I am researching an old wooden prop that I recently obtained.
From my limited research to date, it looks like a wartime prop from a Tiger Moth, but I'm interested in learning anything I can about it.
The prop looks to be in original condition - fabric is in good shape, and copper edge guard is also in good condition. The prop is not at all damaged, beyond some peeling paint.
Any information you are able to provide would be appreciated!

Gipsy Major 1C
DH 5220-2
Feb 43
D.6-33.P4-42

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

The Chipmunks all had the Fairey-Reed metal props with the hub being matched to the twisted blades, all of which was serial numbered the same.. Very confusing system! This prop could be either from a DH60M or a DH82C

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

The stamp Feb 43 100% identifies it as coming of a DH 82C Tigermoth
You really need to post some pics of it, then I can tell you exactly who made it.
The original finish would be varnished wood on the front side and black paint on the rear side to prevent strobing

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Old Dog Flying wrote:The Chipmunks all had the Fairey-Reed metal props with the hub being matched to the twisted blades, all of which was serial numbered the same.. Very confusing system! This prop could be either from a DH60M or a DH82C
The Chipmunks and Austers were also fitted with wooden props that had the English style plastic coating on them but the vast majority were fitted with the F.R. props.

jhartsho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jhartsho »

Thanks fleet16b and Old Dog Flying.
I've done a little more research and my findings are consistent with yours. The prop is from a Tiger Moth, and made by Laidlaw Lumber Co. of Toronto in Feb 1943. I spoke to the curator of the de Havilland museum in the UK who confirmed that the prop would have been used on one of the 1700-plus Tiger Moths made by de Havilland Canada during the war.
It's in great shape, other than some peeling paint. The fabric is still intact. I'd like to restore it, but I'm more inclined to conserve it in as close to original condition as possible. I am leaning towards just giving it a very good clean, and perhaps shine up the metal edge guard.
I have attached a couple of photos.
Cheers

Attachments
Hub markings
Hub markings
IMG_6710.JPG (71.74 KiB) Viewed 5263 times
Prop decal for Laidlaw Lumber Co.
Prop decal for Laidlaw Lumber Co.
IMG_6711.JPG (85.46 KiB) Viewed 5263 times
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Nice! I have a beautiful Laidlaw hanging in my living room.

Anyone know how a Laidlaw prop compares to a Granby?

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

lownslow wrote:Nice! I have a beautiful Laidlaw hanging in my living room.

Anyone know how a Laidlaw prop compares to a Granby?
The Granby is the preferred prop for Tigermoths .
It gives much better performance .
I have seen many many flying Tigermoths in my lifetime and have yet to see one using the Laidlaw

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Keep in mind that everything in the world that I know about antiques, I learned from Mike and Frank, but according to them you should not under any circumstances polish, clean, touch up, or alter that baby in any way. Value to collectors is in barn fresh unaltered condition. Patina, rust, dirt, and original wear and tear are beautiful.

If you don't care about collector value I guess it's on you...but I'd consider talking to an expert first.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Old Dog Flying wrote:The Chipmunks all had the Fairey-Reed metal props with the hub being matched to the twisted blades, all of which was serial numbered the same.. Very confusing system! This prop could be either from a DH60M or a DH82C
Early Chipmunks also had wood props but they were not common
In my Vintage Aircraft Parts business , I have dealt with both wood prop spinners and metal prop spinners for Chipmunks . They are not interchangeable.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

co-joe wrote:Keep in mind that everything in the world that I know about antiques, I learned from Mike and Frank, but according to them you should not under any circumstances polish, clean, touch up, or alter that baby in any way. Value to collectors is in barn fresh unaltered condition. Patina, rust, dirt, and original wear and tear are beautiful.

If you don't care about collector value I guess it's on you...but I'd consider talking to an expert first.
Very True words
I deal in vintage aircraft parts 24 /7 and parts that have been "restored" are usually done so improperly
The value diminishes greatly if altered
For example the above mentioned Granby Tigermoth prop are not a very popular prop to sell even in pristine condition. With the original finish now gone and the decals removed its worth half of what it could be worth.
That does not mean one should just go ahead and alter it further. That would be a mistake .

Paolo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Paolo »

Hello all I found this yesterday not knowing it was a prop.(I'm a clock collector)pretty excited to know more!
It reads
DRG NO DH 5220/L
Gipsy 11 111&Major
L.H.T
D6-4" P4-9"
A.C.47129
SEP/36
Having issues posting pics

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

I would suspect that given a date of Sep/36 that this prop would be from a DH60 Gipsy Moth.

Gipsy II Gipsy III Gipsy Major
Left Hand Tractor

I'd love to see a picture.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

co-joe wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:24 pm Keep in mind that everything in the world that I know about antiques, I learned from Mike and Frank, but according to them you should not under any circumstances polish, clean, touch up, or alter that baby in any way. Value to collectors is in barn fresh unaltered condition. Patina, rust, dirt, and original wear and tear are beautiful.
With one exception that i'm aware of: Doing what's necessary to prevent further deterioration. For example, removing mold, or any organic matter that may attack the rest of the wood.

Return to “General Comments”