Flight school issues

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

MathieuD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight school issues

Post by MathieuD »

Hello !!
I'm actually into the CPL program in a flight center. Didn't start the Multi IFR program yet.

I have some issues with it, it is not what I expected when I came in Canada. (if you want more details, contact me in private)
I would like to go to another one, sounds easy like this...

I need to get refund from the school, cause they make you pay some packages, you don't pay after every flights.
I've paid the first package (50h flight time), the problem is, I wanted to finish those 50h and then go to another one.
According to some other students, the school grounds you after 45h until you pay for the next package, means that you cannot finish the 50h that you paid :roll:

It's written on the "refund policy" "the tuition fees are not refundable".
I've already contacted some agencies to know how to do, they are working on it.

Did anybody here have the same problem ? Did anybody leave the school he was training in ?

If you have any advices :idea: , I'll appreciate that.

Thank you very much.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Flight school issues

Post by photofly »

Which province are you in?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

I left schools many times for various reasons. Never had any issues at all, but I was always at smaller schools and never payed any money up front.

If you have paid for 50 hours then it seems like you should certainly be entitled to that. Hope you can sort this out! Schools like this ruin flight training but people keep attending them for some reason...

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

If you have paid for fifty hours they must by law give you fifty hours of flying.

If they refuse get it in writing or get a witness to their refusal.

Then go to the better business bureau and lay a complaint and then go on the internet with the results and get their name in public.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

''According to some students''... Did you try to finish your 50 hrs for yourself? Were you denied?

If so change school and seriously consider legal action. This will never not hold in court.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Cat Driver wrote:If you have paid for fifty hours they must by law give you fifty hours of flying.

If they refuse get it in writing or get a witness to their refusal.

Then go to the better business bureau and lay a complaint and then go on the internet with the results and get their name in public.
Agree with Cat. Naming applies a lot of pressure.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Which province are you in? It makes a difference.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

In BC here, PTIB (formerly PCTIA) will also be able to assist with this same problem as they are the regulator for private training institutes.

mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

Go to small claims court.

MathieuD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MathieuD »

I would like to think all of you guys for your amswers !!
I'm actually in BC, I contacted PTIB couple months ago, they tried to help me but, as I didn't sign any comtract with my flight center, which is very strange, they cannot do anything.

If you know any GOOD flight centers just tell me. i don't care if I have to leave BC, I just want to find a good an honest flight center....

Actually I'm looking for another one, I've many choices.
PRO IFR Vancouver
PACIFIC RIM Pitt Meadows
MONTAIR Pitt Meadows / Red deer
PACIFIC AVIATION ACADEMY Pitt Meadows

Thank you again for everything !!

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Stay far away from the last 3 on your list

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Harv's Air.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Sorry to hear that your training hasn't been acceptable. My advice is to inform the program administrator that you do not plan on continuing your training with them once your account balance is zero. If they plan on not letting you use all of the 50 hours worth of aircraft time you've paid for they should provide you with a written policy which you could take with you to small claims court. I assume in the original contract which specified that no refunds were given it didn't say anything about maintaining a minimum 5 hour balance?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

MathieuD wrote: I contacted PTIB couple months ago, they tried to help me but, as I didn't sign any comtract with my flight center, which is very strange, they cannot do anything.
Yes, very strange. Perhaps you should post the name here. Was it in Chilliwack?

Anyway, if you haven't signed any contract you can more easily get your money back (at least legally). A strongly worded letter with threat of legal action will probably do the trick.

GAPILOT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GAPILOT »

Im pretty sure its Canadian Flight Centre in Boundary Bay or Kamloops (2 bases)

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

MathieuD wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:09 pm I would like to think all of you guys for your amswers !!
I'm actually in BC, I contacted PTIB couple months ago, they tried to help me but, as I didn't sign any comtract with my flight center, which is very strange, they cannot do anything.
Go and see a lawyer! Most lawyers will offer a brief initial consult for free or at a very nominal fee and this would point you in the right direction as to what options are available to you. If you sit on this much longer you will loose your right to take your dispute to court since statutory limitation periods apply.

Return to “Flight Training”