Air Canada Medical

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

wanpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Canada Medical

Post by wanpilot »

What are the visual standards for a pilot at AIR CANADA? :?: :?: :?:
---------- ADS -----------

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Air Canada Medical

Post by yycflyguy »

Ability to pass the Air Canada and Transport Canada medical and visual acuity requirements for a Category 1 medical certificate.

TC says:
1.35 The applicant shall be required to have a distant visual acuity of not less than 6/9 (20/30) in each eye separately, with or without the use of correcting lenses. Where this standard of visual acuity can be obtained only with correcting lenses the applicant shall be assessed fit provided that (a) such correcting lenses are worn when exercising the privileges of the licence or rating applied for or held;
(b) the applicant possesses a visual acuity without correction in each eye separately, not less than 6/60 (20/200) and the refractive error falls within the range of ± 3.0 diopters (equivalent spherical error);
(amended 2003/06/01)
(c) the applicant has a spare pair of suitable correcting glasses available for immediate use when exercising the privileges of the licence.
NOTE: Correcting lenses" shall be interpreted to mean spectacles or contact lenses. Contact lenses shall not be approved prior to six months trial wear.
(2) Visual acuity shall be measured using Landolt Rings, a chart of Snellen letters, or other similar optotypes situated at an optical distance of 6 metres (20 feet) in either an eye lane or an approved vision testing instrument. Where an eye lane is used, the test chart shall be illuminated to a level equivalent to that provided by a 100 watt lightbulb placed 120 centimetres (4 feet) in front of, and slightly above the chart and the light shielded against the applicant. The examination room shall be darkened with exception of the illuminated chart.
(3) An applicant accepted as meeting the provisions of para. 1.35 (b) is deemed to continue to do so unless there is reason to suspect otherwise, in which case refraction is repeated as required. The uncorrected visual acuity is measured and recorded at each re-examination. Conditions which indicate a need to redetermine the refractive error include, but are not limited by: a refractive state close to the limit of acceptability, a substantial decrease in the uncorrected visual acuity and the occurrence of eye disease, eye injury or eye surgery.

pilotdude86
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotdude86 »

Does anyone have any updates on the Air Canada medical process?

What is checked? What isn't? How strict is it when it comes to weight vs height? What about this lung capacity test?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Vision corrected to 20/20.

I have seen some pretty fat new hires. Like really, I was shocked... Unless you're way out there I wouldn't worry about height/weight.

Lung capacity is just looking for big problems... do you have asthma? Emphysema? Smoker? You don't need to have the lung capacity of an elite athlete.

You'll get a blood test also looking for problems and things out of whack, drugs, liver/kidney problems, etc. I'd ease of the booze for a while if that's your thing... It's a hit topic for the corporation at present and it wouldn't surprise me if they're looking for indicators...

You'll need to have normal BP - 120/80ish or better.

That's it, and meet category 1 medical standard otherwise.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

They no longer have a feel uhh... inside you?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

That's just the last contract you feel stuck up there...

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Lol.

FWIW on an initial medical if you are over 30 you get "checked". On subsequent medicals you can defer the check until you are 40.

MCB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MCB »

atphat wrote:Lol.

FWIW on an initial medical if you are over 30 you get "checked". On subsequent medicals you can defer the check until you are 40.
I'm only 25 and I got poked on my pre-employment medical. The doctor said it is standard at all ages for pre-employment.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Embrace the love

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

My dr said it was to let you know who's boss. Would have been nice if he at least bought me dinner first

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Raven »

Doctor: Please get undressed.
Pilot Applicant: Where should I put my clothes?
Doctor: Over there, on top of mine.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Disconcerting when both of doctors hands are on your shoulders 8) :heart: :toimonster:

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Altpiano must be a youngin since he leave that part out. Or his mind is suppressing the memory. :shock:

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

So what exactly is the point of the AC medical? Apart from weeding out major undiscovered issues like cancer or diabetes, is the point to disqualify employment or as a means to establish a baseline and monitoring program at the beginning of an AC career? Everyone going through would obviously have a CAT 1 medical already, which is deemed a legal standard to operate an aircraft, so what is AC investing so much money into these medicals for?

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

A Category 1 medical is sort of a joke. Be thankful you don't work in a country that puts you through much much more thorough medical examinations every 6 months.

Air Canada doesn't want to spend a lot of money training people that are going to have trouble maintaining that minimum standard in the future though. They also don't want to be paying people who are on medical disability leave either. There's some other reasons why you'd want physically well pilots also such as being able to deal with the physical stress of long haul flying and the messed up sleep schedules that come with it. Then there is the safety issue of having a pilot that could become incapacitated in flight for medical reasons.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

All valid points. Was just curious why they do it and not other companies. I guess AC guys are required to use AC doctors for their annuals, right?

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

Most major airlines around the world do pre-employment medical checks. Why don't smaller airlines do it? To save money. They generally have less medical benefits and liability to support a pilot if they have medical issues in the future. Training costs less so they have less of an investment in you. Domestic flight schedules can be less physically demanding. Aircraft are less complicated so if one pilot gets incapacitated it's easier to operate single pilot.

ba31pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ba31pilot »

If you are currently a type 2 diabetic (still holding a valid Cat 1 medical) are you able to pass the Air Canada medical?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

altiplano wrote:You'll need to have normal BP - 120/80ish or better.
I doubt it. The Canadian Space Agency wants 140/90 for astronauts. I have a feeling AC isn't more stringent.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Bede wrote:
altiplano wrote:You'll need to have normal BP - 120/80ish or better.
I doubt it. The Canadian Space Agency wants 140/90 for astronauts. I have a feeling AC isn't more stringent.
You may doubt it but you're wrong Bede.

I've been there and my course was delayed until I got it sorted.

Return to “Air Canada”