SkyDive Toronto

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bacunayagua
Rank 2
Rank 2

SkyDive Toronto

Post by Bacunayagua »

Anyone know if these guys are still exploiting pilots with their summer internship where a bunch of pilots get the pleasure of paying for a few hours in a 182 and a few lucky guys get the honour of making them money and not make any themselves?
---------- ADS -----------

midnightt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: SkyDive Toronto

Post by midnightt »

Bacunayagua
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bacunayagua »

What a bunch of crooks.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I start groundschool in April 8)

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I have to tell you, don't bother putting it on your resume. It will be filed, in the round bin

Bacunayagua
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bacunayagua »

He seems to be trolling from what I gather, but you're right! I know a few CP's that will throw it right in the garbage if they see that on a resume.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Bacunayagua wrote:He seems to be trolling from what I gather, but you're right! I know a few CP's that will throw it right in the garbage if they see that on a resume.
Why?

I dropped by there yesterday, looked like any other skydive place I've been to.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I believe the ire is caused because the organization runs a very expensive and lucrative ground and flight training course to transition to the mighty Cessna 182, with many young pilots believing that it will guarantee them a seat earning time by flying jumpers; alas, so the theory goes, only one person gets a job and the others are deliberately and greatly out of pocket when they are shown the door. Perhaps calling it a job is overreach - I don't know if pilots there are actually paid at all.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

photofly wrote:I believe the ire is caused because the organization runs a very expensive and lucrative ground and flight training course to transition to the mighty Cessna 182, with many young pilots believing that it will guarantee them a seat earning time by flying jumpers; alas, so the theory goes, only one person gets a job and the others are deliberately and greatly out of pocket when they are shown the door. Perhaps calling it a job is overreach - I don't know if pilots there are actually paid at all.
$6 a flight, was what I was told. I was also told if I pass the school, I have a job, basically.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

FishermanIvan wrote:$6 a flight, was what I was told. I was also told if I pass the school, I have a job, basically.
It's not difficult to take your money and make sure you don't "pass" the school. But perhaps I shouldn't be so cynical. We'll look forward to you coming back and telling us that the rumours are all unfounded and that you and everyone else in the room earned back every penny you spent.

Or not :-)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

If they are paying pilots now, then they've thankfully crawled out of the pit of excrement they were marinating in before. They used to make pilots pay for group training, only hire a few from the group, then actually have them work the season for free, exploiting most low timers rabid insatiable thirst for the almighty flying hour.

Wonder why they changed their policies? Labour board or TC is a pretty likely answer.

Either way, glad they've done the right thing.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

This is from 2015 so a bit outdated, but still somewhat relevant. It shows the kind of place you would be working at. If they are paying pilots now, I would agree that it's likely because they have to not because they want to.

Hi,

Thank you for your interest flying with Skydive Toronto Inc.

We do not currently hiring full time pilots, but we do inviting pilots who like to fly our jump plane during this year skydiving season. If you are looking to build up some hours, we do provide have opportunity. To give us the freedom of insure low-time pilots, our insurance requires that all of our pilots take our Parapilot Course for initial training on our aircrafts. We will be holding our annual Parapilot Course from Monday May 11th to Thursday May 14th, 2015.

The course contains
- Ground Training (~12-15hrs)
- Written Test
- Checkrides in C182 260HP (3-5hrs)
- Solo First Jump Course (ground training and skydive jump)
Note: Actual skydive is optional. But knowledge to use emergency parachute is mandatory. Transport Canada requires all personals to wear parachutes including pilots for jump planes.

Attached is our parapilot course information package and application form. Please read through the package, and don't hesitate to e-mail or call us with any questions to pilots@skydivetoronto.com or 1-800-668-5867 or 705-458-9339.

Please note, the conditional for Cessna 182 jump pilot position, required successfully complete the Parapilot Course, with good performance in the Ground-Training, Written Test and Checkrides. You may return the application form by email. If you are in the Toronto/Barrie area, you can drop off the form in person, and please feel free to stop by to check out our facilities.

Hope to see you soon!

Regards,
Leslie Ng
Chief Pilot
A link to the PDF if anyone cares. http://www.filedropper.com/parapilotinf ... ackage2015

Bacunayagua
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bacunayagua »

FishermanIvan wrote:
Bacunayagua wrote:He seems to be trolling from what I gather, but you're right! I know a few CP's that will throw it right in the garbage if they see that on a resume.
Why?

Im sure they look like a regular jump school to someone walking off the street. But here is their order of battle. They get a bunch of fresh CPLs desperate to fly for anyone to come in and join the GS, this is of course paid by the potential employee. They will then advice you that whomever wants to go further will have to pay for 3-5 hours of flight time on the fire breathing beast the 182 is. Non of this will guarantee you employment as they will be observing who has the right "attitude" (see kissing ass). If you happen to be ever so fortunate and be selected to be one of their summer pilots, you will be expected to be there full time while not getting paid. Hey, the owner needs his new S-class. While of course, having to still meet whatever financial commitments you already have. So enjoy working for free for a commercial operation. They called it an internship if i remember correctly.

I applied to them a few years ago when I was looking for my first job, I promptly told them to go @#$! themselves when I found out about the scam. Good thing I never wasted my time in actually going to the place to even check it out.

Like others have said, if in fact they are paying pilots now, it is not because they want to and probably has something to do with the new legislation making unpaid internships illegal.

But I know people in hiring positions that will throw your resume away as soon as they see "Skydive Toronto" in there. Send your resume to ****** as soon as you're done the season, I have a feeling he'l love to hire you.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Look at their list of previous pilots. 3/4 of those guys are now airline captains. Hardly a blacklisted group. Not defending the place but I would not be concerned about finding a job after flying there, especially in today's hiring environment.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

FishermanIvan wrote:
Why?

As one of those CP's: I don't mind if someone tries it out, but anyone with any appreciable amount of time there clearly has poor decision making skills. It shows they will do anything for one more hour in the logbook, which in my eyes could translate to pushing weather or making unsafe go decisions for the same reason.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote:
FishermanIvan wrote:
Why?

As one of those CP's: I don't mind if someone tries it out, but anyone with any appreciable amount of time there clearly has poor decision making skills. It shows they will do anything for one more hour in the logbook, which in my eyes could translate to pushing weather or making unsafe go decisions for the same reason.
But you wouldn't sky away from a guy with one season there?

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote:
FishermanIvan wrote:
Why?

People make mistakes. I want to see the right decisions after the mistake. Skydive Toronto is probably a poor example, as by the time you've got any time there, you've made and stuck with the bad choices.
Take for instance Keystone: I wouldn't hesitate to look at someone that worked there for a mo th, but a year or more and it's being round filed.

I figure if all the legitimate companies blacklist employees from the cesspools, eventually they will have to shape up or close.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"

Return to “Employment Forum”