Dash classic Bid

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Dash classic Bid

Post by GhostRider6 »

Hey,

I recently got on with Jazz.

I am wondering what my odds would be of getting the Dash 8 classic. I'm willing to take any base .. but I would prefer the classic and am willing to commute.

Is the Dash 8 classic an aircraft new hires are comping at the bit for ? Or do many guys want the Q/ RJ as opposed to the dash?

Thanks !
---------- ADS -----------

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Dash classic Bid

Post by Bajan Pilot »

It is all decided by the luck of the draw.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Bajan Pilot wrote:It is all decided by the luck of the draw.
Are you allowed to trade, though? Buddy above draws the RJ, and another person draws the Classic: they agree to trade, and all is rainbows and unicorns?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Not exactly...although I think I understand what you were trying to say.

The aircaft available for each course is determined by the company. Class seniority is drawn through lottery. If there are any folks who came from an ALPA carrier, they take the top spots , in order of service length at that carrier.

Once seniority is decided, aircraft type/base is chosen in order of the class seniority.

The mix of aircraft and bases vary class by class, with some groups getting more choice than others.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bajan Pilot »

"Are you allowed to trade"

Yes & no. It's been a while for me thinking about this, but you can trade, but not necessarily with someone from your course. There may be someone ahead of you on the list with that position as his/her 1st. choice so the position would go to them first.

Forgot about the ALPA goes 1st. deal. That was not in place when I worked there.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

North Shore wrote:
Are you allowed to trade, though? Buddy above draws the RJ, and another person draws the Classic: they agree to trade, and all is rainbows and unicorns?
That wouldn't happen. You dont' draw aircraft, you draw numbers. Then you choose from what is left, and by default that type of situation shouldn't happen. Everyone will pick their preference from what aircraft are left when it gets to their number.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

How does it work with moving equipment? Are you seat locked for a certain amount of time?

i.e. buddy gets Classic Dash out of YUL but really wanted RJ out of YVR. I understand that bidding for a new base can be pretty quick (at the moment with new spots available) but what about equipment?

And, can someone with higher seniority bump a person off base or equipment?

Jazz isn't likely in my future, just curious how it works.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

48 month freeze on type I believe? (I might be wrong but I think it's 4 years) Unless you upgrade, or are reduced in your base. Then you're unlocked. I think if you are reduced you can bump someone off the base/type if you choose to move equipment to stay at your base. But that is the only time. Otherwise once you hold a position it's yours until you leave or are reduced.

Canada340
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Canada340 »

Black_Tusk is exactly right. However you can always have your standing bid to transfer to another aircraft type and it's company's discretion to waive the 48 month freeze. They've been waiving it a lot lately. Also most people are getting upgraded now within 2 years so there's lots of people changing types and getting retrained on others.

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

Hi 340.. Check PM's

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

I didn't care at all what base I would get, but I really didn't want the Classic Dash. Guess what? I Got the Classic Dash. Oh well... Eventually I'll get what I really want...

Das ist mir wurst...
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I flew the RJ for 8 years at 3 different companies and what did I get when I came to Jazz......the classic dash. To be honest I am so so so happy I got the Dash8. No one will tell you up front but the Classic Dash is the hidden secret at Jazz (shhhhh don't tell anyone). If you're interested in why PM me. But honestly I love the classic and all that it brings. Plus its one of the most versatile type ratings out there, and a type rating is never never a bad thing on your license.....do you have any others? What were you flying before Hans?

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dashtrash1 »

KenoraPilot wrote:No one will tell you up front but the Classic Dash is the hidden secret at Jazz
Bingo

bringerofrain
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bringerofrain »

I know everything is seniority based and changing quickly but how long would it take a new hire to get a YYZ base? How senior has it become since the RJ base closer?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

dashtrash1 wrote:
KenoraPilot wrote:No one will tell you up front but the Classic Dash is the hidden secret at Jazz
Bingo
Well, now I'm very curious given I was on the dash for a couple years and couldn't wait to switch!

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dashtrash1 »

I'm not saying it's perfect, it's loud and vibrates more than I'd like it to...but in terms of overall lifestyle, ease of flying and relaxed operation I can't complain!

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

dashtrash1 wrote:I'm not saying it's perfect, it's loud and vibrates more than I'd like it to...but in terms of overall lifestyle, ease of flying and relaxed operation I can't complain!
Nothing is perfect, but I love the ease and the crews! IMO: the crews on the Classic are the most chill & easy going. (Again IMO and haven't flown the Q/RJ at Jazz) just love the Classic guys especially out west :)

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

NBG

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

KenoraPilot wrote:
dashtrash1 wrote:I'm not saying it's perfect, it's loud and vibrates more than I'd like it to...but in terms of overall lifestyle, ease of flying and relaxed operation I can't complain!
Nothing is perfect, but I love the ease and the crews! IMO: the crews on the Classic are the most chill & easy going. (Again IMO and haven't flown the Q/RJ at Jazz) just love the Classic guys especially out west :)
:smt023

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”