Best Float Flying Read

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Best Float Flying Read

Post by '97 Tercel »

I've seen 'Wings of the North' by Dick Turner for sale in the little coffee shop at Nanaimo airport.

His other book 'Nahanni' is great as well.
---------- ADS -----------

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

March 06, 2017

Yukon Wings by R.B. Cameron.

This book is a wonderful story about the early start
of aviation in the Yukon.

Each chapter is loaded with articles, stories and photographs.
Over 350 pages. Great history of Canada's north.

tsinger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tsinger »

I bought a book called "So you want to be a Ferry Pilot. " Pilot was Spike Nasmyth. Great read. Mostly adventures from the west coast down to the south Americas and phillipines. . Also I just started on "Float Plane Odyssey". Around the world on floats only. I believe they were both bought on line from the publishers. Enjoy!

ChrisGK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChrisGK »

Anything by Robert S. Grant - good read(s)

http://www.ebushpilot.com/images/bushplanes.jpg

duCapo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by duCapo »

oldtimer wrote:Trail of the Wild Goose was written by H.P. "Hank" Parsons, Parson's Airways Northern Ltd. of Flin Flon, Man. Hanks brothers, Bud and Keith owned Parson's Airways, Kenora Ont. The NFB has a short video called "Bush Pilot:
Birth of a myth.' available on their web site or it is also on YouTube. Hank Parsons has a cameo in the video. If there is one thing about the NFB production it is the fact that the sound effects are about the most true to like I have ever encountered. I spent 4 years with Parson's Airways Northern limited on the Norseman and even the sounds the waves make up against the floats are so very true to life.
I spent 74-78 working for PAN, Bob and Jack owned it then. I met Hank and had a signed copy of his book, I think one of my exes got it.

Rule #62 "Don't take yourself so damn seriously"
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

There's a couple of books by Jack Schofield that are a must, Flights Of A Coast Dog and No Numbered Runways.
They're probably available from Amazon, or barring that Larry Milberry at CanAv Books. Jack should be on AvCanada but I don't know his handle.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

The best float flying book I have read unfortunately does not involve Canada or Alaskan Aviation.

The book is fairly rare and titled "A Dream of Eagles" by Ralph O'Neill. Mr. O'Neill after a great deal of adversity started a route from New York City to Buenos Aires, 9000 miles long. The airline was called NYRBA. This was in the late 1920's and early 1930's. Aircraft used for survey flights were Sikorsky S-38 Amphibians. Aircraft used once the routes were established were Consolidated Commodore's a direct ancestor of the PBY Catalina and Canso. The Commodore's were pure flying boats and could carry 32 pax on the shorter legs. At the time Pan American Airways only had a few small wheeled aircraft. Due to Pan Am and Juan Trippe's political connections with the Hoover Administration and the Post Office they were able to acquire the routes and assets of O'Neill's airline.

Only 14 Commodores were built at the Consolidated plant at Buffalo New York. One of them is in 100' of water just off Takla Landing BC. It was on a ferry flight from the lower 48 to Alaska in 1942. It caught fire during refuelling and sank.

AP

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”