Air Georgian

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Georgian

Post by gtanorth »

Not everyone parts ways with their previous employers on good terms. I hope that young people seeking career advice take some of these posts with the grain of salt. I won't call people out but one of the long time GGN bashers was let go from GGN for "non-flying related reasons" and another washed out of upgrade training. I am sure they have their side of the story and who knows what is correct but in general always consider the source and put the appropriate weight to it if you are making career decisions based on an anonymous forum.

If you want to go to ac then apply to Jazz, Sky, GGN and maybe EVAS if that is appropriate for your experience level. They are all on a seniority based PML. Go to the first one to offer you a job. The conditions at any of them are not far enough apart to have it weigh into your decision and waiting for one over the other just puts you at AC a bunch of seniority numbers later and that can have a big long term impact on career earnings, far far more than any difference in your first 2 -3 years of airline flying. If you want to make a regional a career then stick with Jazz, they are still the only one with a high enough top end to make it a career place.
---------- ADS -----------

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

Roger1989 wrote:
gtanorth wrote:Really, from a washout.........
The only washout is the company who's flying broken down rj's with ridiculous attrition rates that you seem to be so well educated on. Ggn is an absolute joke and what they make passengers go through is horrible. Just take a stroll down that terminal late one night. now that Jazz is gone its apparent how incompetent ggn is. Only a matter of time before they run out of candidates then nicky nick will have a crack at flying a giant deferral.

Nicky Nick at GGN? Doubt he's that lucky

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

flying4dollars wrote:
Roger1989 wrote:Im not sure why anyone applies to air Georgian with so much out there.
They are currently joining alpa but that will have no effect for a minimum of two years. Be smart about where you sign a contract. Unless your coming off an instructing gig I don't see how you could possibly want to work for those people.
I seriously don't understand this mentality. You don't think people would have gone to fly a Q4 at jazz or encore first? The people that end up going to Georgian end up doing so because they were first offered jobs by them. Are you suggesting everyone puts their eggs in other baskets? That's a terrible decision. One of the lessons I've learned in aviation is to apply where you WANT to go, and take what's offered in front of you first.

The mentality of turning down some jobs is quite unbelievable around here. Not everyone is in a place to not apply or not take a job, whether it be at Georgian or anywhere else.
The folks I have known as previous co workers have been PFOd by both and/or Jazz and Encore and only then took Air Georgian.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

So how are things at Georgian these days for a CRJ F/O? Is it still $37/hour plus per diems? What's a typical day/week/month like working there?
Approximately how long for upgrade to Captain? What happened with the ALPA vote? Are they still deciding if they are going to join? How many months/years is it currently taking to get your PML interview at AC? Thanks.

AvLife
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AvLife »

Also curious about current GGN situation. Is anyone here flying the 1900 or CRJ for them?

Roger1989
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Roger1989 »

They have joined alpa but from my understanding it's still the worst place to work. The few I knew there have since left to Encore and Cargojet.
Typical work day is 13 hours. It's probably the worst decision you could make to join that company. I'm sure you can find someone who works there currently to confirm the facts.
Everyone is hiring be patient.

Roger1989
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Roger1989 »

How is air georgian still able to staff their airplanes? This is absurd. One figured The PML scandal of theirs would come to light but these kids are buying it and signing contracts. Unbelievable folks. It's a matter of time I suppose before they figure it out and run.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Roger1989 wrote:How is air georgian still able to staff their airplanes? This is absurd. One figured The PML scandal of theirs would come to light but these kids are buying it and signing contracts. Unbelievable folks. It's a matter of time I suppose before they figure it out and run.
And what exactly is their PML scandal? If you're going to throw out accusations, you may as well be specific.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

The PML works the same at GGN as it does anywhere, the only difference is that a certain mud slinger didn't get axed from the other express partners. The PML is certainly no scam, it is a way for AC to get pilots into the system while controlling attrition from Express to outside of the big red team. The real only attrition outside of AC now is those that got PFO'd or those that don't want AC for whatever personal reason or circumstance.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Roger1989 wrote:They have joined alpa but from my understanding it's still the worst place to work. The few I knew there have since left to Encore and Cargojet.
Typical work day is 13 hours. It's probably the worst decision you could make to join that company. I'm sure you can find someone who works there currently to confirm the facts.
Everyone is hiring be patient.

Interesting. My typical work day is about 9 hours. Of which a fair bit is spent hanging out in the airport lounge relaxing. And yes, I work here. Many pilots have moved on to ac. The pml is not a scam. Not sure where this belief comes from. Worst decision to work here based on what? Yup, you'll find a few who don't like it here. You'll also find many who do. If you're going to throw out slanderous comments, why not back it up with facts that you didn't get from guys you know who know guys who worked here?

Or are you a disgruntled employee hiding behind an Internet forum username? :rolleyes:

Roger1989
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Roger1989 »

Flying4peanuts and living off the lounge. A classic georgian pilot.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Roger1989 wrote:Flying4peanuts and living off the lounge. A classic georgian pilot.
Right. Well I won't be feeding any trolls today so I'll move on from your ignorance.

MCB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MCB »

flying4dollars wrote:
Roger1989 wrote:Flying4peanuts and living off the lounge. A classic georgian pilot.
Right. Well I won't be feeding any trolls today so I'll move on from your ignorance.
I've personally observed someone load up a tupperware container. Then we wonder why they ban crew members priority pass cards...

Roger1989
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Roger1989 »

It's a matter of time before they get us all booted out of there. Flying4peanuts has no shame. Tells you how it is. Spends most of his day relaxing in the lounge. Brilliant. Is that what you signed up for? Get a real job you troll!

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

And here I get annoyed if I have longer than a 2 hour wait between flights. Relaxing in the lounge is the last thing I want to do. Send me flying or send me home.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Black_Tusk wrote:And here I get annoyed if I have longer than a 2 hour wait between flights. Relaxing in the lounge is the last thing I want to do. Send me flying or send me home.
True, but I was trying to shed some light on the supposed 13 hour slave days that was mentioned. Does it happen? Sure it does. Where doesn't it in the airline world? But is it scheduled like this every day? Most certainly not. In either case, nobody here is overworked.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

I load my flask up there sometimes :smt040

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

Pretty sure my Jazz friend said he bought a lounge membership to eat and relax between flights too.

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

I think most pilots use the lounge in the same way - respectfully. Some unfortunately, from all operators, do abuse it and it may one day cause a crackdown for flightcrew.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Nothing wrong with using the lounge if you have to (respectfully of course). That being said, I would rather be flying especially if it's a min credit day.

Return to “Employment Forum”