172 wire strike Duncan BC

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

172 wire strike Duncan BC

Post by Walker »

---------- ADS -----------

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: 172 wire strike Duncan BC

Post by rigpiggy »

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

rigpiggy wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3943898

Any news on the crew?
Student pilot was transported by ground ambulance to hospital, the instructor was airlifted to hospital. I've heard she's "okay" but banged up pretty well.

She was my old instructor at VFC, so I'm glad she's alive, that's for sure!

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Apparently initially airlifted to Victoria, but yesterday was airlifted to Vancouver for surgery. No details on how critical or what the injuries were.

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

CHEK reports Duncan aerodrome as "an extremely short runway" which is a bit of an exaggeration. 1500 asphalt is plenty long for a C172, I'd think...

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

For landings and takeoffs, yes, but for touch-and-goes (reportedly that's what they were doing) it's a lot tighter than someone from VFC would be used to seeing, both in length *and* width. It sounds like the "student" was already a licensed pilot, so they were probably off doing some short field training/practise?

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

We are all hoping and praying so hard that this instructor makes a full recovery. If anyone has any updated news, a PM would be very appreciated. We have a pretty good idea of the chain of events that led up to this accident. One "take away" for all of us is that Duncan is like an aircraft carrier - steep cliffs on all four sides. If you operate out of Duncan or any other airport with a cliff at the end, it is worth remembering that the moment you cross the threshold at low altitude, you will instantly be out of ground effect. This factor was not the cause of this accident, but was probably a factor as to why the lightly loaded airplane initially didn't climb.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

So Kristen was hurt badly in this accident, and if you feel like helping out with her recovery, head on over here.

https://www.gofundme.com/kristen-ursel

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Spinal Injuries suck. I know exactly how much they do personally. My heart goes out to you my fellow aviator! I wish you the speediest of full recoveries!

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

I've never flown into that airport, but maybe they should they put coloured ball markers on the power lines or bury them if they are in the way of active aircraft.

Such a horrible outcome, quadriplegic would be a horrible life

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Mick G wrote:I've never flown into that airport, but maybe they should they put coloured ball markers on the power lines or bury them if they are in the way of active aircraft.
You're nowhere near any wires on a normal takeoff from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P78dU5M3dUs

(see 55 seconds). The wires are below the level of the trees, and I'm pretty sure both the trees and the wires are below the runway.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

If they hit the power lines that I saw in the video, there was definitely other factors involved in this accident

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Gosh, I see what you mean. Will be interesting to see the accident report.....

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Mick G wrote:Will be interesting to see the accident report.....
It seems unlikely that the accident report (if there is one) will tell us anything of significance that we don't already know.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... -1.8238259

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

praveen4143 wrote:CHEK reports Duncan aerodrome as "an extremely short runway" which is a bit of an exaggeration. 1500 asphalt is plenty long for a C172, I'd think...
1500' seems like a very short runway for touch and go's in a plane like that. Is there not a longer runway nearby for practicing this sort of maneuver. Duncan looks like a place better suited for maximum performance takeoffs and landings.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

1500' seems like a very short runway for touch and go's in a plane like that.
I know many people who could happily perform full stop landings and takeoffs in a 172 in 1500 feet. My visit to Duncan showed me a runway which demands precise flying, which is what should be being trained.

Go Fund Me tells me that I'm the 164th person to make a donation. Let's be supportive of our fellow pilot as though they were in the plane and needed our help. Each one of of us would spend our gas money to search for them right? This pilot is lost a different way, and still needs our effort....

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

pelmet wrote: 1500' seems like a very short runway for touch and go's in a plane like that. Is there not a longer runway nearby for practicing this sort of maneuver. Duncan looks like a place better suited for maximum performance takeoffs and landings.
They don't use Duncan for touch+goes. They use it for short-field takeoffs and landings. The instructors generally don't do touch+goes there, but they don't have any specific rule against it.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

PilotDAR wrote: I know many people who could happily perform full stop landings and takeoffs in a 172 in 1500 feet. My visit to Duncan showed me a runway which demands precise flying, which is what should be being trained.
POH says 1300ft @ 2200lb for full stop takeoff+landing ground roll, but I imagine it wouldn't be too kind of the brakes.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Maybe its time the airport closed, the gravel pit is encroaching further and further.........

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

If a runway is long enough to take off from why is it not long enough to do touch and goes?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”