Air Canada video Interview

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

beaver1986
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Air Canada video Interview

Post by beaver1986 »

Ancient wrote:So uh Beaver, what questions did they ask?
18 questions were yes/no answer, like "do you hold an ATPL?" "have you had any incident?" etc basically all these questions are already answered when you create a profile in the career section. 4 were "tell us about your experience" "tell us a difficult time at work and how you dealt with it"
---------- ADS -----------

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

beaver1986 wrote:i got pfo'd after 4 days from my video interview.... based on 18 questions that had to be answered with a yes or no, and 4 open questions.
how can you evaluate someone just like that?
i have aviation degree, glass cockpit and jet experience and 5000hrs total and have been working in the Air Canada express for 4 years.
i bet that if i have had one of my parents working there it would have been different...
I say that because i have evidences that people with less than 2 years in the aircanada express and with parents in AC were interviewed and hired (to be eligible for the interview, the PML agreement states "min 2 years").
NICE JOB TO BE THE ICONIC SYMBOL OF THE COUNTRY!
What is this two years minimum thing you talk about? Sounds like something company specific from your express carrier. Iirc, I have never read anything of the sort. Not to mention AC is video interviewing November hires already....

Flyer85
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyer85 »

Just got invited to complete the video interview as well. If anybody that has gone through it would be willing to PM me with their experience and some of the questions asked I would appreciate it :)

Flyer85
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyer85 »

How long have people generally been waiting for a reply after they completed theirs?

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Flyer85 wrote:How long have people generally been waiting for a reply after they completed theirs?
I completed mine dec 27th.. still no word. Others who did in the same time frame have already had an in person interview and been hired or PFO'd. Doesn't look like much in terms of standard time frames. Thus far no news is good news.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Completed a video interview 3 weeks ago, heard back 5 days later with the next steps. It's super awkward, and many of the questions feel redundant, but they already know most of the answers they need. It's more of a generic filter is suspect.

a380super
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by a380super »

took 1,5 month for me to get the following answer: '' Your skills and experience have been given full consideration...we are unable to offer you employment at this time....you are welcome to re- apply after 6 months" and advise me to keep my application up-to date..
Just wondering if this is a standard "polite" answer from AC for rejected candidate? :?
Shall i really try after 6 months or is it just waste of time?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

There are pilots working at Air Canada who were PFOd multiple times before being successful. Of course keep applying, if you still want to go.

General Brock
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by General Brock »

I heard there was a second PFO letter out there that did not mention anything about 6 months.
I believe that if you got the 6 month version, you're good, they're just not ready for you. If you got the other version of the letter, you might not have the things they're looking for.

beaver1986
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaver1986 »

General Brock wrote:I heard there was a second PFO letter out there that did not mention anything about 6 months.
I believe that if you got the 6 month version, you're good, they're just not ready for you. If you got the other version of the letter, you might not have the things they're looking for.

who did you hear that from?

mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

General Brock wrote:I heard there was a second PFO letter out there that did not mention anything about 6 months.
That's what they tell to candidates so they wouldn't feel bad about themselves when they get the 6 month version. Just a politically correct HR trick.

Ac83
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ac83 »

Hi everyone... sorry to ask it here but I don't know how to write a new topic... I have applied for a job on Air Canada's web site and I didn't see that I had to do a video interview. I tried now to do It but it says that its like too late and the link is no more available. Now my question is if I didn't did this video I have lost all my chances to do real interview ?

Thank you for anyone will help me.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

You would have been contacted personally if they had an invitation for a video interview for you. It's not something you do when you apply automatically. If you did get a personal email with a link to the video interview, there should be contact info contained in that email if you run into technical difficulty. That would be the number/email to contact.
If you didn't receive this email, there is no video interview for you to do.

beaver1986
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaver1986 »

hello folks,

sorry if it took me a while to update this thread that i have opened several months ago. Now i can write here clearly and we no frustration left.
So i moved to QR, after the pfo from the AC VIDEO interview. i was lucky to have qr offer in my hands while i got turned down by the big red. now i can write in capital that THAT PFO' WAS A BLESSING. First of all there are so many misconceptions about qatar (country and company), aside their compensation, they treat you as a real professional, great lifestyle, and your experience and qualifications count here. I dont understand why we (canadian pilots) are so complacent with those main carriers that we have back there. I would like to ask you colleagues few questions to provoke your thinking as professionals:
Why (if you are a captain) moving from a regional carrier that works directly for the main one gives you a significant paycut for 4 years? isn't the getting a lowest seniority number enough? why does the big red hire pilots with less experience and qualifications than others? why they have been taking mainly First officers and pfo Captains after a ridiculous video interview?
do the express companies have a say to mainline when it comes to give them their pilots?
im my opinion yes they do, How many fo's are in the express family that meet the requirements for the upgrade ? not many! thats why captains are getting pfo....SO MY QUESTION IS: IS ALL THIS FAIR? if its fair for you guys, well you better stay there, if is not, i suggest you to start to think OUT OF CANADA :) cheers guys :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

beaver1986 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:28 am hello folks,

sorry if it took me a while to update this thread that i have opened several months ago. Now i can write here clearly and we no frustration left.
So i moved to QR, after the pfo from the AC VIDEO interview. i was lucky to have qr offer in my hands while i got turned down by the big red. now i can write in capital that THAT PFO' WAS A BLESSING. First of all there are so many misconceptions about qatar (country and company), aside their compensation, they treat you as a real professional, great lifestyle, and your experience and qualifications count here. I dont understand why we (canadian pilots) are so complacent with those main carriers that we have back there. I would like to ask you colleagues few questions to provoke your thinking as professionals:
Why (if you are a captain) moving from a regional carrier that works directly for the main one gives you a significant paycut for 4 years? isn't the getting a lowest seniority number enough? why does the big red hire pilots with less experience and qualifications than others? why they have been taking mainly First officers and pfo Captains after a ridiculous video interview?
do the express companies have a say to mainline when it comes to give them their pilots?
im my opinion yes they do, How many fo's are in the express family that meet the requirements for the upgrade ? not many! thats why captains are getting pfo....SO MY QUESTION IS: IS ALL THIS FAIR? if its fair for you guys, well you better stay there, if is not, i suggest you to start to think OUT OF CANADA :) cheers guys :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Congrats on your move to the sandbox. I'd say you're next big accomplishment should be getting over your butthurt about getting PFO'd from Air Canada, which you obviously still haven't. All the best.

PROC_HDG

beaver1986
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaver1986 »

THANKS

Last edited by beaver1986 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

lol! still you mr.beaver

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

beaver1986 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:28 am hello folks,

Interesting. You know what I NEVER hear on the flight deck? I wish I was flying in the Middle East. Or China. Or Europe. Or Australia. Or Africa. Or South America. Or anywhere else. Maybe the States....mostly tongue in cheek, but the salaries there are hard to beat. I'm talking mainline salaries. I'm glad you like your job. I hope you rake in the cash in hand over fist. I'll let you in on a secret though. No one at AC cares, at all, about your situation. Good luck.

beaver1986
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaver1986 »

i thought that the purpose of writing in the forum is to share information, experiences and advises, NOT JUDGING OR TRYING TO PUT OTHER PEOPLE DOWN.... i wish all of you the best in your future behaviors and career.
SO LONG!

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:38 pm
beaver1986 wrote:
Rowdy wrote:Did you copy and paste that into multiple threads? Why are you so butthurt?

There are many telltale signs and indicators and non verbal cues that can be noted from those short video recordings. They compile that information with some background checks (social media) and can determine plenty about someones character and personality. I'm no expert, but my post secondary was mostly related to recruitment and selection in business.

you bet i am!
cause now i have to accept the job and leave the country to go in the middle east to make some decent money in a long term prospective.
Which express carrier are you with?

Doubtful that its jazz, or you'd be on the old PML having been there for 4 years, but still possible if you didn't check the box the first time around. If it is the case, on the A pay scale, you'll be making some pretty decent money there that should preclude you from ever having to go overseas.

Leaving Georgian, Sky, or maybe EVAS. If GGN or Evas and you're on the 1900, it's highly unlikely they'll hire you even with 5000 hours of "glass cockpit" experience. (Does a 1900 even qualify as "glass" these days?) If you were on the RJ or EMJ at either of the last two, maybe there was something in your training record or personnel file that precluded them inviting you for an interview?

It's also possible that you just didn't answer the questions the way they were looking for, or didn't conduct yourself in the way they wanted. It is just a video interview after all, they read into a LOT of things like body language and mannerisms even though they may not be accurate.

Regardless, try your luck again next year and see if it's any different?

About 50% of the GGN pilots come from the Beech not the CRJ. AC is indifferent if your time at GGN is Capt Beech or FO CRJ. As with any of the PML partners, there are many other things that are looked at.

Return to “Employment Forum”