Aeroplan

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Aeroplan

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

While I realize that Air Canada is not "Aeroplan", nevertheless, customers usual associate the two.

The geniuses at Aeroplan have managed to come up with the shittiest customer service of all time.

Since I live in Nunavut, I can't book an Aeroplan seat on-line (having to deal with First Air or Canadian North) since their website does not recognize any departure point in Nunavut. If I call the 1-800 number (hoping beyond hope to actually be able to talk to a human being) I'm asked to log in with my PIN number, but the robot voice tells me my PIN number is "locked". But I can change it on-line. Okay. Go on-line and, in order to change my PIN I have to log in. But the website also tells me my PIN is locked, so I can't log in. WTF!

I have 600,000 Aeroplan points that are useless to me. This is beyond ridiculous!
---------- ADS -----------

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Aeroplan

Post by Rudy »

Wow, that's quite a bit of points. I'd use them before they make them worth even less. I imagine you have a decent status level. Your Aeroplan membership card will have a priority reservations phone number on it where you can usually get a real person in less than 5 minutes. I've never been asked for a PIN on that and I used it pretty recently.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

NunavutPA-12 wrote:While I realize that Air Canada is not "Aeroplan", nevertheless, customers usual associate the two.

The geniuses at Aeroplan have managed to come up with the shittiest customer service of all time.

Since I live in Nunavut, I can't book an Aeroplan seat on-line (having to deal with First Air or Canadian North) since their website does not recognize any departure point in Nunavut. If I call the 1-800 number (hoping beyond hope to actually be able to talk to a human being) I'm asked to log in with my PIN number, but the robot voice tells me my PIN number is "locked". But I can change it on-line. Okay. Go on-line and, in order to change my PIN I have to log in. But the website also tells me my PIN is locked, so I can't log in. WTF!

I have 600,000 Aeroplan points that are useless to me. This is beyond ridiculous!

If you end up not being able to use these points, have you considered donating them to a charity that could make use of them ?

https://beyondmiles.aeroplan.com/

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Yes, I have considered that and will, one day when I'm no longer fit enough to travel, which will likely be pretty soon. I've never had a chance to travel to any destination more exotic than Plattsburg, NY :rolleyes: so I was really hoping that my wife and I could travel a little now that I'm retired.

Thanks for the tip on the number, but there's nothing on my card other than the robot's number. Does anyone have this elusive human-contact number?

FL410
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410 »

Is it possible to hit 0 during the voice prompts? That can sometimes get around the scripted call flows.

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Good suggestion but that just tells me that "the Aeroplan number you have entered is incorrect."

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

I have given up on just about every point collecting scheme on the market. Just barely holding on to PC points for groceries. The whole Air Miles fiasco was fun to watch.

Any chance writing an email would help? I guess it would take a couple days for a reply but maybe that will save your sanity from being on hold anyways?

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Rudy wrote:Wow, that's quite a bit of points. I'd use them before they make them worth even less. I imagine you have a decent status level. Your Aeroplan membership card will have a priority reservations phone number on it where you can usually get a real person in less than 5 minutes. I've never been asked for a PIN on that and I used it pretty recently.
My Aeroplan card is ancient (I really should get a new one) so it didn't have that number on the back. A friend gave me the number this afternoon. You were right - an actual human being in about two minutes! She helped me through the process of creating a new PIN on-line and all is well now. Should be ....I think .... pretty sure ....

shane.hunt51
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shane.hunt51 »

Might I suggest a "Mini Round the World Trip" or a "Round the World Trip".

When you make an international Aeroplan ticket booking, Aeroplan will allow you two stop overs, plus your actual destination. You can also stop at other places for up to 24 hours, if you are there for more than 24 hours it is considered a stop over. Last summer my wife and I flew from Toronto to Jakarta, Indonesia and stayed there for a week visiting Borneo. We then continued on to Shanghai China for a few days, stopping in to Hong Kong for 23 hours on the way. Our last stop was Tokyo, where we spent two weeks criss-crossing Japan. This trip would be considered a "Mini Round the World", and there are distance restrictions on where you can make your stop overs on the way to your destination, but you can actually setup an itinerary where you cross both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans; effectively making it an around the world trip. Our whole trip was booked all in business class for 300K points, 150000 points each.

An actual around the world Aeroplan trip includes five stops I believe, with economy class bookings starting at 200k points per person.

A "Mini Round the World" trip is the best use of points in my opinion, and you can get more information here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-cana ... i-rtw.html

The Aeroplan reward chart can be found here, and there is information mid-way down the page on around the world bookings:
https://www4.aeroplan.com/use-your-mile ... anguage=en

I know Aeroplan can be a pain to deal with, but there is still some pretty good value in the program if you are prepared to work a little bit to unlock it.

Let me know if you have any questions, or need any help!
Shane

Return to “Air Canada”