Vietnam 208 job

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Vietnam 208 job

Post by longjon »

I'm thinking of applying for the Vietnam position and am wondering if anyone here has worked in Vietnam? Even a tourist view of the country would be helpful.

This is for the Maintenance position.
---------- ADS -----------

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Vietnam 208 job

Post by Lost Lake »

As an expat pilot with friends in Vietnam, if you like the expat life it's a good place.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Thanks. I love the expat life,

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

Just a quick note for anyone considering the job at Hai Au Seaplanes in Vietnam. I just saw some photos of an ex-Hai Au Caravan in Indonesia, operated by a different operator. Hopefully it was something planned, such as a leased plane being replaced with an owned plane, and not a cash shortage that led to the change in operator.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I've never flown in Vietnam but did spend some time in the south and LOVED IT! The Vietnamese are awesome and friendly people! I would love to fly as an expat over there. (as long as pay was good, plane was solid and maintenance wasn't spotty) lol

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

Worked for Hai Au, and lived in Hanoi, sent you a PM.

BeaverDreamer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeaverDreamer »

Vietnam is great. I've spend time in most major cities from north to south. The people are great and you can live a quality life for sure. As far as working there goes, I have no idea :smt040

Sounds like it could be a good gig though!

yeeeeboiiii
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yeeeeboiiii »

Could anyone shed some light on the compensation and benefits for this job? Also, what is the work schedule like on average?

round pounder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by round pounder »

if you can't fly a van, then don't bother. I've had several high time otter drivers apply all getting a PFO. Looks like the pool of van drivers is drying up as there posting weekly now. Also looks like guys are doing there 12 month commitment and saying adieu. Yes Vietnam is nice. You live in 100% humidity, and the towns have a definite odour of waste, and rotting stuff. Mixed in with burning charcoal and kerosene. You are really asking the wrong crowd about wages. Ask them personally.

yeeeeboiiii
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yeeeeboiiii »

I've been to Vietnam and it is not all as bad as you say....and I was asking for specifics of the job.

round pounder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by round pounder »

Good on you. I spent several years in both Laos, Thailand and Vietnam. Yes the countryside is stunning. But like I said the towns do stink. the Mekong on a hot humid day brings back the memory of smells I would like to forget. Your going to tell me that all those tuk Tuks and two strokes don't put a cloud of haze that coats your nose black. Come on. Give the good folks a shout I'm sure they will respond in kind. Asking info on avcanada is like asking a hooker for a discount and believing she's giving you 20% off.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Those guys as STILL advertising? Seems odd.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

A sign of the times mixed with challenging pre-requisites is my take on this GeoDoc.

It's bottom of the barrel time for most operators right now as far as hiring and upgrading goes.

Now add the pre-requisite of an experienced float driver with IFR experience to boot. Tough ask.

But man, if I was young and single, I'd be all over this job!

round pounder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by round pounder »

Not a lot of vans on floats. So the gene pool is limited. As they only want qualified ifr rated van, float pilots your really dealing with a limited gene pool. Lots of van jobs On wheels in North America. But then your lacking one of there strict limitations. They want you pre trained as it looks like they are either not qualified to train or not willing to train. Shame as there are some brilliant float pilots in Canada

Return to “Employment Forum”