A&P to AME

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ssingh5229
Rank 0
Rank 0

A&P to AME

Post by ssingh5229 »

Hello,

I have my A&P currently working at a airline, I wanted to know how can I get my AME? Does it get easier with having your A&P? Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

the_swede
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: A&P to AME

Post by the_swede »

My understanding is that having your A&P will not help you for your AME license. You will be required to start from ground zero.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 66-259.htm

-Swede

212wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 212wrench »

Not necessarily true. STD566.07 has requirements for Alternative training.

Swampfoot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Swampfoot »

Hi ssingh5229-

A&P here myself, last work I did was 1994, but I moved to Canada in 1997 and worked primarily in computers & printing until 2016, when I decided to get back into aviation. I'm 49. Have dual citizenship (US/Canada) as well.

Decided to take the shortest route to getting a Canadian certification (though not a Transport Canada one) to get my foot in the door quickly, a 10-month aircraft gas turbine repair course. I've been able to pretty much sleep though it with perfect scores since I actually did gas turbine overhaul for awhile (hot section, balancing, and reduction gearbox for TFE-731 & TPE-331, hot section on the JT-15). The instructor pressed me into helping some of the other students learn lockwiring. The networking opportunities with employers has been worth the price of the course.

I'll be graduating in June, but I have two job offers already from structures outfits in Ontario in the $23-$26/hr range, a bit higher than their normal apprentice wage because of my previous experience, so your A&P experience will not be wasted in that respect. They're offering to pay for the $800 ICS AME correspondence course (https://goo.gl/xJY5BF). I'll be starting as an AME apprentice - since I never kept any logbook of my work in my previous aviation career (and several of the companies I worked for no longer exist), I can't count any of that time toward the apprenticeship.

Even though I'll be starting "from the bottom" so to speak, I think it'll end up being worth it. The outlook seems positive for the moment, but of course that can change on a dime, and has.

Swampfoot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Swampfoot »

P.S. - one thing I am wondering is, just how quickly can one complete the ICS course if they go at it with their ears back? I can devote a lot of time to it, and I have some knowledge already. I suspect the slowest part will be learning all new regulations.

Return to “Maintenance”