Anyone in YEG get a call for upcoming training yet?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Anyone in YEG get a call for upcoming training yet?

Post by outflying8 »

RBeans wrote:
outflying8 wrote:
yycatchopeful wrote:
This part is 100% the worst

agreed, especially when you and your family are trying to build a life around a career in ATS
---------- ADS -----------

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

RBeans wrote:
outflying8 wrote:
RBeans wrote:Selected for YEG IFR May 23 :)

I think I speak for all of us unselected (so far) when I say Congratulations you Son of a Bitch. (family guy reference :P )
LMAO thanks, don't get discouraged yet people get courses offers up to a few weeks ahead of time I've heard (easy for me to say I know).

you are most welcome, im trying not to, so hard though.....I appreciate your optimism :) good luck at training!

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

Just got a call, I am next in line on the standby list for the VFR course (streamed IFR).....not to be mean spirited but I hope someone drops out or declines.......this is good news thought because if no one does drop out, as long as there isnt too many people added to the IFR and/or VFR pool, I should theoretically get on the fall course....

I also get the prep material to prepare for May's course, so if I don't get in, come fall time I will know that material backwards and forwards

RBeans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RBeans »

outflying8 wrote:Just got a call, I am next in line on the standby list for the VFR course (streamed IFR).....not to be mean spirited but I hope someone drops out or declines.......this is good news thought because if no one does drop out, as long as there isnt too many people added to the IFR and/or VFR pool, I should theoretically get on the fall course....

I also get the prep material to prepare for May's course, so if I don't get in, come fall time I will know that material backwards and forwards
Nice! That is great news, congrats :) That is awesome that you get the material being on standby, and I'm sure you have a really good shot at fall if May doesn't work out. I'm actually kind of jealous of VFR, that means you get a killer view :)

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

RBeans wrote:
outflying8 wrote:Just got a call, I am next in line on the standby list for the VFR course (streamed IFR).....not to be mean spirited but I hope someone drops out or declines.......this is good news thought because if no one does drop out, as long as there isnt too many people added to the IFR and/or VFR pool, I should theoretically get on the fall course....

Nice! That is great news, congrats :) That is awesome that you get the material being on standby, and I'm sure you have a really good shot at fall if May doesn't work out. I'm actually kind of jealous of VFR, that means you get a killer view :)

Thanks, here is hoping i get in!....I know I will most likely be heading to Ft Mac or Yellowknife (if I get in) but I am hoping i by some miracle get YYC or YEG....

either way at this point im just hoping to get my butt in a seat, dont much care where.....and VFR is what I originally wanted so thats kinda funny, I switched preference to IFR since it starts higher pay (unless you get YYC tower) and its no moving, and a nice challenge....the tour of the centre made it seem more appealing too

yycatchopeful
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yycatchopeful »

outflying8 wrote: Thanks, here is hoping i get in!....I know I will most likely be heading to Ft Mac or Yellowknife (if I get in) but I am hoping i by some miracle get YYC or YEG....

either way at this point im just hoping to get my butt in a seat, dont much care where.....and VFR is what I originally wanted so thats kinda funny, I switched preference to IFR since it starts higher pay (unless you get YYC tower) and its no moving, and a nice challenge....the tour of the centre made it seem more appealing too

Congrats!!!

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

yycatchopeful wrote:
outflying8 wrote: Thanks, here is hoping i get in!....I know I will most likely be heading to Ft Mac or Yellowknife (if I get in) but I am hoping i by some miracle get YYC or YEG....

Congrats!!!
thanks man!

RBeans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RBeans »

outflying8 wrote:
RBeans wrote:

Thanks, here is hoping i get in!....I know I will most likely be heading to Ft Mac or Yellowknife (if I get in) but I am hoping i by some miracle get YYC or YEG....

Maybe you can get Whitehorse, if my husband's job wasn't so good here I would have loved to go VFR and gun for Whitehorse tower, I love that area.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

RBeans wrote:
outflying8 wrote:
RBeans wrote:

Maybe you can get Whitehorse, if my husband's job wasn't so good here I would have loved to go VFR and gun for Whitehorse tower, I love that area.
whitehorse would not be a top choice for me haha....Looking at the NavCanada map they dont have a current VFR tower at whitehorse, just yellowknife.....maybe its not updated.....

Regardless I just want a seat, doesn't matter where, just a seat.

oilernation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by oilernation »

Did they say you were next in line for the standby offer? I got an identical call for VFR training starting May 23. They are sending me the pre course materials also. It will help our applications regardless. Just wondering if they told us both the same thing

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

oilernation wrote:Did they say you were next in line for the standby offer? I got an identical call for VFR training starting May 23. They are sending me the pre course materials also. It will help our applications regardless. Just wondering if they told us both the same thing
Yup that is exactly what they told me....and yes I'm just hoping someone cancels but regardless they said it means we are very likely to get an offer in the next training group, maybe IFR then, who knows....they also will have new applicants added to the pool between now and then and we could get bumped again, it's all up in the air :(

fanman888
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fanman888 »

Never knew they made calls for those on standby :0

Good info to have and best of luck!

yycatchopeful
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yycatchopeful »

I ended up declining the FSS offer. Not that it wouldn't be an interesting job, but some of the places that one would likely have to live for the first 5-7 years would be pretty unpleasant for someone of my age and family situation. Good career, not worth risking my marriage for though!

It sounds like all of the VFR seats in YEG for May are being offered to people who are ranked high enough to be streamed IFR, so I'll have to wait patiently for another 6 months to see if I can get offered VFR in the fall. Otherwise, life goes on.

Best of luck to all of you who got in / get in for May's courses!

bigZ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bigZ »

Just found this forum! cool to find others that will potentially be on the same course! who else is on the may 23 IFR course? how is everyone finding the ITA precourse?

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

bigZ wrote:Just found this forum! cool to find others that will potentially be on the same course! who else is on the may 23 IFR course? how is everyone finding the ITA precourse?

welcome man! good to have you.....I dont know if there are many IFR guys, there is a couple that are on the May 23 VFR course....myself and another guy here are both on standby for VFR so we are doing the same iTA course you are......going well, hate the meteorology stuff (i find it boring) but what are you gunna do haha....hope to go through it at least twice, hopefully 3 times before May 23 (also praying someone drops out to we can slide in there)......how long were you in the pool before being offered for this? Pretty well everyone I talked to that is IFR or VFR or VFR standby were all streamed for IFR so im thinking the applicant pool must be pretty strong if they are using IFR capable candidates for VFR....

RBeans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RBeans »

bigZ wrote:Just found this forum! cool to find others that will potentially be on the same course! who else is on the may 23 IFR course? how is everyone finding the ITA precourse?
Hey! I'm on the May 23 IFR course :) I've only finished the intro on the ITA so far as work was nuts for a bit but now going to start putting some serious time in on it.

bigZ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bigZ »

outflying8 wrote:

welcome man! good to have you.....I dont know if there are many IFR guys, there is a couple that are on the May 23 VFR course....myself and another guy here are both on standby for VFR so we are doing the same iTA course you are......going well, hate the meteorology stuff (i find it boring) but what are you gunna do haha....hope to go through it at least twice, hopefully 3 times before May 23 (also praying someone drops out to we can slide in there)......how long were you in the pool before being offered for this? Pretty well everyone I talked to that is IFR or VFR or VFR standby were all streamed for IFR so im thinking the applicant pool must be pretty strong if they are using IFR capable candidates for VFR....

Thanks! I am actually a woman, but all the same :D I just finished block one so not there yet! just a heads up RBeans its definitely taking me longer than the times it says it will take so get started as soon as you can, especially if your still working (I am as well).

I got the green light from my last round interview in November! what about you? were you hoping to go IFR?

RBeans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RBeans »

bigZ wrote:
outflying8 wrote:

Thanks! I am actually a woman, but all the same :D I just finished block one so not there yet! just a heads up RBeans its definitely taking me longer than the times it says it will take so get started as soon as you can, especially if your still working (I am as well).

I got the green light from my last round interview in November! what about you? were you hoping to go IFR?
Yeah I'm finished the intro block and it took me awhile but I've been going through it really carefully. I got my last round interview green light in November as well and IFR was my preference. Are you in Edmonton? If you are and want a study buddy I'm game :)

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

bigZ wrote:
outflying8 wrote:

My apologies! And yes I got green light in November as well for IFR, I only got a standby-VFR offer though so I must not have done well at something.....was hoping for IFR mostly just for circumstantial reasons, I'd be just as happy with VFR though, just wish it wasn't standby, I'm through the first 2 blocks and almost done 3, hope to be done block 5 by the end of the weekend....I agree about the time though, it's taken me longer on most of those blocks, but I'm going through it once really slow and taking good notes, and hope to go thron ugh it at minimum 2 more time by May....also plan on going through the AIM manual a few times

bigZ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bigZ »

RBeans wrote:
bigZ wrote:
outflying8 wrote:

Yeah I'm finished the intro block and it took me awhile but I've been going through it really carefully. I got my last round interview green light in November as well and IFR was my preference. Are you in Edmonton? If you are and want a study buddy I'm game :)

I'm actually from leduc! I'm working full time right now so I literally work then go home and do the ITA course. Can't wait to have a few weeks off before the course so I can fully focus on the course!

Return to “ATS Question Forum”