Overseas Contract Information Seminar

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Overseas Contract Information Seminar

Post by Smitty »

You mean a blanket statement about a blanket statement? :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

I work in China, best gig I've ever had and am not planning on leaving until I'm good and retired. If you have some specific questions send me a PM. I also went to our foreign pilot office today to ask about this "no longer accepting Canadian pilots", totally not true and next week there are a couple Canucks on there way here for assessments. The CAAC does now require a more thorough background check for Canadians, how they accomplish this I have no idea.

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

What company do you work for?

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

I work for an airline in southern china, beautiful climate and the air is comparable to Toronto or most major cities, albeit the odd day here and there is pretty bad... but so can NY, or Toronto, or Chicago... what I'm saying is china is a big country, not just Beijing, all the cities aren't toxic dumps that the west thinks they are. I do 4/4 schedule and commute home to my wife and 3 kids, and my family life has never been better.

As for the "book" flying upside down, take it for what it is, one pilots story from 1 airline. I'm sure most of you have worked a shit flying job before, doesn't mean all flying jobs in Canada are bad.

If you're seriously interested in china do your homework. Get a good agency not the first agency. Try and contact a foreigner at the airline you are interested in. I've been here only a year and a half, but the job is great, the pay fantastic, and the time off is incredible. Like every airline in any country, nothing is perfect. However when your bank account is full of USD, and your wife and kids are happy to have you home for more than a couple nights a week, you'll be pretty content.

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

This from WASINC.....

"We have an issue with regard to Canadian passport holders.

ICAO and CAAC have temporarily placed Canada on a list of countries having safety concerns. 

As a result, the CAAC will not accept pilots who hold Canadian passports. 

Canadian ATP licenses are still accepted.  

Anyone holding only a Canadian passport will not be approved.

I will advise if/when the situation changes, we do not know how long this restriction will last......"

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

"and as soon as your country cancels the foreign ownership tax on property in Vancouver we will open hiring again."

:wink:

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

Last edited by Ancient on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

vrefplus5 wrote:This from WASINC.....

"We have an issue with regard to Canadian passport holders.

ICAO and CAAC have temporarily placed Canada on a list of countries having safety concerns. 

As a result, the CAAC will not accept pilots who hold Canadian passports. 

Canadian ATP licenses are still accepted.  

Anyone holding only a Canadian passport will not be approved.

I will advise if/when the situation changes, we do not know how long this restriction will last......"
This is when you contact a different agency. The CAAC only requires a more "in depth background check" what that means I don't know. The caac knows and they do the work. If you're being told they don't accept Canadian passports at this time it's either because the airline thinks the background check will take to long and is hoping for a speedy process OR the agency is lazy. I spoke with the foreign flight department at my airline a couple days ago (CAAC SOUTH) and this is what I was told. We actually have a couple Canadians here now doing their simulator assessment, which the airline would never do if they couldn't hire them immediately.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

'97 Tercel wrote:"and as soon as your country cancels the foreign ownership tax on property in Vancouver we will open hiring again."

The rumours I've heard is that this is directly related to the large influx of refugees into Canada, which somehow means all Canadians are a higher security risk... Again this is strictly a rumour and I have not heard this from my office directly but from other sources. If you want answers maybe trying writing JT, I'm sure the PM office will get back to you... Actually you never know, I've written a few letters and have always got a well thought out response that in no way addressed the issue I wrote about.

Good Luck!

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Spoke with a recruiter at OK airlines, still accepting Canadians and actively recruiting any type rated 737 captains. Send me a message and I can put you in direct touch with them.

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

Last edited by Ancient on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

'97 Tercel wrote:"and as soon as your country cancels the foreign ownership tax on property in Vancouver we will open hiring again."

The Chinese government is likely in favour of this tax, as Chinese money leaving china is a problem right now.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

Ancient wrote:becoming a defacto Islamic state
Were you dropped on the head as a child?

PROC_HDG

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Any thoughts on good places to go? Ones to avoid?

I have heard Korea is an absolute nightmare. China is hit or miss. What about EVA Air, Vietnam etc?

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Any Expat job is a risk/reward trade off.

All jobs have their positives and negatives - the perfect job doesn't exist.

We're all different - what works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

Not everyone has what it takes to work in the Expat world - it does require a lot of flexibility. You need to be able to adapt to a different way of thinking and a different way of doing things that may not make any sense to you. The people that can't adapt don't last very long.

Example:- I worked in a culture where it was quite normal for people to lie to you. I knew they were lying and they knew that I knew - but it didn't bother them.

You have to be able to deal with things like that.

It helps if you've been to the region where you're thinking of working - you at least have a bit of an idea what to expect.

I've had my share of "What am I doing here?" days during my first few years in Asia.

In my 25 years as Expat I've been very fortunate to have been in the right place at the right time on a number of occasions and with one exception I have always been treated fairly.

The longest I have ever worked for one company is 8 years.

I know of a number of Expats who were given 30 days notice after working at a company for 20 years!

Finally I'd refer you to the bold statement in the second post on this thread.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Eric Janson wrote:Finally I'd refer you to the bold statement in the second post on this thread.
Sage advice, except there is no such thing as stability in aviation.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Eric

I have been lucky enough to have worked many jobs in the overseas world already. I have flown on four continents so far (North&South America, Africa and Asia if you're wondering). I know that it is a big world out there and that every country operates differently. I'm flexible enough to roll with it. Most of the work I have done is at the Commuter 704 and some Turboprop 705 world. Big airlines will be different than what I have done in the past.

Like all companies I have worked for, some were great and others not so much. The ones that were a PITA were mostly so disorganized and or short staffed that schedules went out the window the minute they were generated. I understand Korean doesn't know whether their pilots are coming or going. Other major airlines will likely have a culture of actively working to sabotage the career of a contract pilot because we are taking jobs away from locals. Other countries like Japan come to mind where contractors are generally accepted as the domestic pool of applicants isn't sufficient to staff the airline.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Donald wrote:
Eric Janson wrote:Finally I'd refer you to the bold statement in the second post on this thread.
Sage advice, except there is no such thing as stability in aviation.
No argument there Donald.
BE20 Driver wrote:Big airlines will be different than what I have done in the past.
You might be quite surprised! I sub contracted for Arik Air in Nigeria on and off for about 6 months.

You wouldn't believe the things going on there - the most dysfunctional Airline I've ever seen. A bush operation with jets.

They were looking for people recently but I wouldn't recommend it.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
OverseasContracts
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OverseasContracts »

It has been confirmed that the CAAC is not accepting Canadian candidates at this time due to concerns with background security checks affecting the numerous contracts in all the regions we are promoting in China. Regrettably, we will be postponing the YYC information seminar until the restriction has been lifted. We hope that it is a short term restriction that will be quickly rescinded but it is ultimately up to the CAAC.

Thank you to everyone that PM'd their interest. I will advise when we can re-schedule the information seminar. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

This has been Lesson 1 of your Overseas Contracts training.

Return to “WestJet”