New Hire Equipment

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Stevo226
Rank 3
Rank 3

New Hire Equipment

Post by Stevo226 »

Anybody out there aware of what equipment and base new hires have been getting as of late?
---------- ADS -----------

Duke p
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New Hire Equipment

Post by Duke p »

Most new hires start off in YYZ. Within 6-8 months, they're re assigned to the base of their choice as of late. Seems Vancouver 320 FO is a 6 month wait. Montreal about the same. Even new hires holding Winnipeg right seat Airbus. If you're assigned to the Burrito, YYZ is almost the only choice.....same for 767 FO or 767 FO Rouge. RP's on the 787 won't be waiting long at all for a YVR base if they want........ triple RP might be a bit of a wait because its significantly senior.

Bit of a crap-shoot what they'll be training for next, but the bottom positions of most equipment types are available to new hires.

Generally count on YYZ for starters, then other bases as they open up for junior positions only, and only if the type you're trained on is based elsewhere. Looking like 3-6 months for all bases going forward. Unheard of variety going to new hires right now......767 Mainline FO used to be a senior position......now it goes to new hires.

I think this is a result of the "bait and switch" program going on at AC. Rouge has, or is getting most of the productive and interesting flying, creating a "mini-exodus" from Mainline, leaving what once were relatively senior positions vacant. According to Ben Smith, pilots "love Rouge" and the lousy "B" pay-scale.......but its all part of the "big plan" that's leaving most pilots here chasing their tail, and barking madly like a really dumb dogs. The seniority concept is being flipped over on its back due to Rouge and bidding rights.....but us 84% bought it hook line and sinker due to a "take it or leave it threat" and a "cute signing bonus" from our very own group of "junior management wanna-be/enthusiasts" running ACPA. They have a proven track record of "selling us cheaply" for a pat on the back.......not even Article One is off the table for backroom deals.........so, come on over and take advantage of the ensuing chaos. Our union has allowed us to be divided into so many sub-groups, flying similar equipment for different pay scales...... its created chaos of epic proportions. It's going to get really interesting for Air Canada pilots.....kinda like watching a really good episode of "keystone cops" as we crash into one another looking to take advantage of one another........but it is what it is. :D

Duke.

Last edited by Duke p on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LTD »

Duke p wrote: generally count on YYZ for starters, then other bases as they open up for junior positions only, and only if the type you're trained on is based elsewhere.
Duke.
Actually, this specific statement is not quite accurate Duke.

A new hire is actually allowed to bid a different equipment during his 4 year (using a course right) if it will allow him/her to move to the base of his/her choice.
I have seen a few pilots do this on recent bids... They were initially assigned Yyz emj, and are now showing 320 Yul. Took them 3 months....

Also seen a few get Yul 320 right off that bat... Anything can happen!

But indeed, odds are very much that you will initially get Yyz for starters.
Respectfully,
Ltd

Duke p
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Duke p »

Ya gotta agree.........changes will occur daily. It is a fantastic time to be a new hire though.....

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Duke p wrote:Ya gotta agree.........changes will occur daily. It is a fantastic time to be a new hire though.....
And that is great to see the decades younger guys/gals than me are able to see/have great opportunities what most, if not all would say, is a top notch airline

Last edited by Old fella on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

only if the starting pay was reasonable it would be a no brainer

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LTD »

CAL wrote:only if the starting pay was reasonable it would be a no brainer
Made over 70k in year one a few years ago. This includes bonuses, training, perdiems and a bit of over time.... I know a few others made close to 90k with a bunch of overtime... All year 1/2.

Reasonable? I think so. Especially knowing it will only get better and that AC is one of, if not the most secure piloting job in Canada over the long term.

Even if you only make say, 55k or 60k in year 1 cause bonuses are small, and no overtime... It's an absolute no brainer given current outlook I.e. upcoming retirements, more growth and current contract valid till 2023.

If you want to be an airline pilot and coming to AC today isn't a no brainer, I'm not sure what is in today's aviation world!?

Stevo226
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stevo226 »

Thanks for the replies, very insightful

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

Made over 70k in year one a few years ago. This includes bonuses, training, perdiems and a bit of over time

How do "bonuses" work?

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LTD »

ogopogo wrote: How do "bonuses" work?
I realize I used the improper term.. My apologies.
I meant to say profit sharing.

Profit sharing is not a guaranteed. But if the company meets certain financial benchmarks (EBITDAR), this triggers profit sharing amongst various groups of employees, including pilots.
Without getting into specifics, The actually amount paid is a function of how much profit was made by AC, and is also a function of your salary. (Higher salary, higher profit sharing amount paid to you).

If AC unfortunately makes no profit, then obviously, no profit sharing.

Good news is the past couple years AC has made record profits.

pilotdude86
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotdude86 »

Any updates on what the last couple of groundschools looked like? What equipment was awarded? What are guys/gals going for? Is there a chance to have a preference or 'pick'?

Thanks folks.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

pilotdude86 wrote:Any updates on what the last couple of groundschools looked like? What equipment was awarded? What are guys/gals going for? Is there a chance to have a preference or 'pick'?

Thanks folks.
Mix of mainline and rouge airbus, mainline and rouge 767 FO, embraer FO. YYZ and some YVR 320 spots. There is another recent thread in the forums that explains how the seniority/seats are doled out.

PROC_HDG

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Whats the average monthly take home for a new hire all in?
Thanks

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

It is indeed possible to make more money (especially if one were to go to rouge) but at what costs? At rouge (on the bus) there are now some very unproductive pairings (YDF, PTY, GND, and others) while it may be great laying over in some of these places (I am one of the few but really enjoy YDF.. good mountain biking in cornerbrook and skiing in the winter) we lack trip or duty rigs like in the states. A 3 day YDF pairing is worth 5 ish hours and some of the others not worth much more. The company can then give you productive 11 hour days followed by a couple YDFs and you'll be working at or close to 16 days.. when working that much it's a lot less enticing to do overtime whether time and a half or double time and a half. Time at home becomes invaluable.

When we were mostly blocked in and around 10-13 days it was better to pick up OT. At 16 days it has to be worth it and the balance really starts tiping towards staying at home. On the plus side it does mean most times you go into work extra it is draft (2.5x) these days as it becomes very easy to say no to regular OT.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

ZBBYLW wrote:we lack trip or duty rigs like in the states
It changes if you are flying to the states? Is this at mainline and rouge? Or do you just mean the US airlines have it...

lawndart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lawndart »

sstaurus wrote:
ZBBYLW wrote:we lack trip or duty rigs like in the states
It changes if you are flying to the states? Is this at mainline and rouge? Or do you just mean the US airlines have it...
Mainline has protection for time away from base and for a day of work. It's not perfect, but in theory it prevents the 3 day 5 hour pairing.

Rouge has a 77.5 hour monthly guarantee and a 16 day cap. So if you did 5 of the 3 - day YDF pairings for 15 days and 25 hours of credit, you would still get paid 77.5 hours. Any extra flying on top of your schedule is in addition to your 77.5 monthly.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

So no matter what any extra flying you do adds on to 77.5 even if you only few say 50 credit hours?

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DBC »

Black_Tusk wrote:So no matter what any extra flying you do adds on to 77.5 even if you only few say 50 credit hours?
Yes, extra flying is above and beyond the 77.5.

pilotdude86
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilotdude86 »

any latest word on what the current class got to bid on? Whats available for the next class?

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Looks like EMJ, 320, and rouge 767 FO.

Return to “Air Canada”