Jobs between 200 and 250 hours

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

3genav
Rank 0
Rank 0

Jobs between 200 and 250 hours

Post by 3genav »

Going to be finishing up flight school in the next month and a bit with around 200 hours and am starting to apply to jobs in the next week or so. What kind of jobs can you get with 200 besides dropping skydivers and surveying (not that I have a problem with those)?

Also wondering if you need the 250 with IATRA to log right seat time in a Navajo (or equivalent) provided the company requires 2 pilots, or if I can do that right out of school with the 200.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

letmedrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Jobs between 200 and 250 hours

Post by letmedrive »

First off congrats on finishing up flight school.

Secondly, I'd say your best bet at a job would be right seat Navajo which brings me to your second question, you do need 250 for the IATRA but you only need it to fly right seat in a two crew aircraft. Even though a company flies a Navajo/king air/pc12 etc, transport does not require them to have two pilots so you're all good with your CPL and MIFR.

Good luck with the job hunt!

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

Now there is a classy post.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Right now the jobs section is virtually littered with ads for entry level jobs, many of them PIC jobs. Why sit right seat when you could be getting PIC? It should not be difficult to find a job either way.

feel-x
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by feel-x »

here is a TC list of all the two crew aircraft
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 2-1393.htm
Good luck in your search, yes there is a "pilot shortage" but i would qualify it more like better opportunities than couple years ago, but don'T accept anything unfair

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

Aerial work could be an option for you. Lidar aerial survey, photography or pipeline patrol is often done in small aircraft such as C172s.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

Congrats!

And great thread as I'll be in the same boat as you in the next 4-6 months. :smt120

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Just a little something for you to think about.

There are more than a few pilots in the seniority lists that can not upgrade because they do not have their ATPL's. And, almost universally it is because of a lack of PIC time.

The upgrade times at the airlines are going to get longer and longer. Some of the majors have a whole stack of 40 something captains, and 30 year old experienced FOs who will be taking their place.
And expansions are slowing. There will be lots of opportunity for right seaters for the next few years, but the upgrade times are maybe going to be very long, unlike just a few years ago when there was a lot of expansion.
On the other hand if you hold an ATPL and are willing to take a voluntary transfer ( you pick up the relocation costs) to one of the more costly and less desirable cities, upgrades can be fairly quick.

Give some consideration to getting your ducks in a row for your ATPL.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Bingo.
PIC time, people.

letmedrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letmedrive »

shimmydampner wrote:Bingo.
PIC time, people.
I 100% agree with you, but from sifting through job postings I didn't see anything for a 200 hr pilot, and realistically you aren't going to spend more than a year in the right seat of a Navajo, then you'd grab your PIC time, MPIC to boot.

Return to “Employment Forum”