Overseas Contract Information Seminar

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Overseas Contract Information Seminar

Post by justwork »

Again, there are still a lot of airlines accepting Canadian passport holding pilots in China. I've spoken with a few and all they say is that there is a more in depth security check that the caac needs to do. I don't know how they're doing this. Also the airline I work for just finished assessments on a couple Canadians and are expecting to hire more now and in the future. CAAC in china has different rules for different regions, this must be affecting some but not all regions.
---------- ADS -----------

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

It's hard for me to understand why these recruiting companies are trying to come to Canada and recruit pilots. I went to an information session offered by an overseas airline. Anyway, the presenters were very nice. It almost seemed like they were selling timeshares in Central America. After everything was said and done, we asked them "What is your ideal candidate?". Their answer was "Ryanair F/O". So there you have it. EASA lincense, 737 type rating and the work ethic of a "starving dog". F/Os that have always been told to shut up and be happy they fly a jet.

Well, in our group only 3 guys (out of 20) had any type of jet time. We asked the guy "Why are you here? Do you think a Canadian pilot will give up his A320 or B737 job to go work for "Sand" Air? I doubt it. If I had an A320 job, I think I'd enjoy my life here in this wonderful country of ours and not get fooled by the $$$ and shiny metal, only to go there, find out that you have no rights, no say and work 22 days a month.

Like someone said. Be careful. Don't be fooled by the presentation. Ask people that actually work there. I have friends that fly overseas and some love it, some like, some don't know any better, some want to move away and some really really hate it. It all depends what your expectations are. Personally, I think people with families have no place working as an overseas pilot. They work you too much... money isn't always everything...

Just my two cents...

Das ist mir wurst...
justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

HansDietrich wrote:It's hard for me to understand why these recruiting companies are trying to come to Canada and recruit pilots. I went to an information session offered by an overseas airline. Anyway, the presenters were very nice. It almost seemed like they were selling timeshares in Central America. After everything was said and done, we asked them "What is your ideal candidate?". Their answer was "Ryanair F/O". So there you have it. EASA lincense, 737 type rating and the work ethic of a "starving dog". F/Os that have always been told to shut up and be happy they fly a jet.

Well, in our group only 3 guys (out of 20) had any type of jet time. We asked the guy "Why are you here? Do you think a Canadian pilot will give up his A320 or B737 job to go work for "Sand" Air? I doubt it. If I had an A320 job, I think I'd enjoy my life here in this wonderful country of ours and not get fooled by the $$$ and shiny metal, only to go there, find out that you have no rights, no say and work 22 days a month.

Like someone said. Be careful. Don't be fooled by the presentation. Ask people that actually work there. I have friends that fly overseas and some love it, some like, some don't know any better, some want to move away and some really really hate it. It all depends what your expectations are. Personally, I think people with families have no place working as an overseas pilot. They work you too much... money isn't always everything...

Just my two cents...
Like any job, do your due diligence before hand. A blanket statement like
I think people with families have no place working as an overseas pilot. They work you too much... money isn't always everything...
is silly. I have a family, 3 kids a wife and a dog. I work far less overseas than I ever have working in Canada. I'm home WAY more than anyone I know, and I take home triple the pay as other Canadians flying narrow body in Canada. Yes, money isn't everything, but not worrying about money goes a long way. Being home almost 6 months a year, that's pretty amazing. When I am in China I'm working 4 days a week, sometimes 3.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

This is just for mainland China, right? Hong Kong has it's own authority?

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

It's true, money isn't always everything.

Unless of course you want to obtain something that requires it lol. Like an education, a home, a retirement. Judging from the 2 trillion dollars of consumer debt in Canada (higher than GDP now, woohoo!), I'd say that real money is in pretty short supply for most people in this post-nationalist "wonderful country of ours". :mrgreen:

A job needs to suit both one's circumstances and temperament. Just because one pays well doesn't make it a suitable job for someone. But meandering along on Canadian industry wages and then living on the highly-taxed leftovers in a high-cost country isn't for everyone either. It's a big old world. To each their own, I say.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

To the original post, was anyone able to attend the seminar? My schedule changed and I was not able to make it. I'd like to know what was presented and get some first hand opinions.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

The Seminar has been postponed.

@ OverSeas Contracts

I'd like to see the math on the 737 Contract you posted - the figures you posted earlier don't come anywhere near to the claimed amount.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

another agency has a info seminar on April 4th

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=115420

dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dumbbell daddy »

Thread bump. Anyone have any updated info on the CAAC not accepting Canadians. Was told by 3 agencies that Canadians are not being accepted for the "time being."

Return to “WestJet”