AVCANADA

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:31 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:10 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Am not in the Helicopter industry but do know a few guys who are. I was recently told that the son of a retired friend has been driving all over Canada looking for work as an entry level helicopter pilot for several years now - and no luck. He has worked all the hard jobs on the ground in heli logging operations etc. and he has been paying his dues for years... then he runs across a young guy who is originally from Lugano Switzerland. This young pilot from Switzerland did his training in Canada and went back home to Switzerland and applied for another visa and landed a gig through another Swiss helicopter pilot at LR Helicopters on the R44 based in Toronto. Boom... entry level helicopter job (R-44) handed out to a Swiss national through conections within the Swiss Helicopter industry... out of all places: in Canada! His dream job is awaiting him back home in the Swiss Alps when he gets the hours/experience he needs for the job back home. My friend's son is becoming very disillusioned and meeting up with this young Swiss helo pilot in Toronto was the icing on the cake for him... he is ready to give up. He said the Swiss guy is a really nice and enthusiastic young man, his problem is not with him - but the system that allows a Swiss helicopter pilot mafia to operate like this inside Canada - effectively cutting Canadian citizens right out of the entry level pilot jobs. Where did Canada go wrong in looking after it's own citizens first? I ran this story by a helicopter pilot friend of mine in Vancouver and all he said was: good luck getting a job in Switzerland as a Canadian licenced/Canadian passport holder. I wouldn't mind knowing how LR Helicopters pulled this off. When my friends son fronted up at LR Helicopters in Calgary (head office) he was read his rights - in terms of hours/experience he needed before they would even look at him! These kind of hiring practices are part of a system that needs to be corrected!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:25 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

This happens a lot in Canada. I've met many foreigners in the Canadian industry. Lots of Aussies and Kiwis flying here in BC. I wouldn't say its a "mafia" but i agree its a problem. There are so many flight schools pumping out new pilots into a system that will only hire maybe 25% of them. It is so hard to break into the system and its a matter of knowing the right people, making an impression, and being in the right place at the right time. If your friends son has been out of flight school for a while now his chances are slimmer than when he originally finished his training. An AME course would be helpful to get his foot in the door somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:27 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

I haven't heard many good things about LR, that's said it's a way to get
Hours.