New yyz slots..this is gonna hurt!

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: New yyz slots..this is gonna hurt!

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

The problem is not the slot...it's the 48hrs notice!
---------- ADS -----------

CrewSked
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CrewSked »

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get an update across. I can tell you the CBAA is working as hard as it can to get a solution to this problem. We just put out an update message that I've pasted below.

Dear Member,

As you are probably aware, the GTAA issued a directive requiring GA/BA flights to book arrival and departure slots 48 hours in advance from March 26th.

Even more problematic, GA/BA operators will not be allowed arrival slots between 1500 to 1959 during runway 05/23 rehabilitation periods (Mar. 28 – May 16 and Oct. 10 – Nov. 3)

With this directive, GTAA has overstepped and is unfairly punishing our operators. As a priority, we are working to have GTAA roll back the ban on arrivals and then deal with the separate issues of the slots.

Actions we’re taking:

· We have discussed the airport’s actions with legal counsel, and have identified a number of potential legal remedies that counsel is investigating;

· We will initiate a direct letter writing campaign from the executives of Canada’s leading companies affected by the directive to members of the GTAA board, members of Parliament and leadership at Transport Canada.

You can read the entire directive HERE. Should you wish to contact the GTAA directly with questions or concerns, please contact Michael Belanger, michael.belanger@gtaa.com, (416) 776-7117. You may also copy the president & CEO, Howard Eng , <howard.eng@gtaa.com> so he is fully apprised of the impact of this action.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Thanks for the update.

amraam
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by amraam »

Encouraging everyone to send out letters? Isn't there a more aggressive approach the CBAA could be taking?

Another update from the CBAA:

Dear Member

A number of you have requested CBAA’s support to communicate your company’s displeasure and concern over the GTAA’s 48-hour slot restrictions and landing ban during construction period. To assist your direct communications, we have provided a template ABOVE to be completed by you and signed by your CEO and sent directly to the Chairman of the GTAA Board, David Wilson. We believe that this is the most effective way to be heard, and that letters from some of Canada’s most important and innovative companies, directly from the C-suite, will have a huge impact.

We have left room for customization –please feel free to adapt the letter as best suits your needs.

Contact me if you have any questions, or need assistance. We have only a short window to get this done, since the directive takes effect next week. I hope that the majority of letters can be emailed within the next 24 hours. As you will note, we have provided both the physical and email addresses, so you can follow up with hard copy as well.

Thank you – this is only one element of our fight, but it is a crucial one. Your support will make a difference.

Kind Regards,

Rudy Toering
President & CEO

Actions we’re taking:

We have discussed the airport’s actions with legal counsel, and have identified a number of potential legal remedies that counsel is investigating;
We will initiate a direct letter writing campaign from the executives of Canada’s leading companies affected by the directive to members of the GTAA board, members of Parliament and leadership at Transport Canada.

https://www.cbaa-acaa.ca/CBAA/News/Corp ... d_ban.aspx

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

Damn, there's a lot of big banks with their airplanes in YYZ. I hope the GTAA doesn't go looking for a loan anytime soon.

whatsitdoingnow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whatsitdoingnow »

Ahh the CBAA......the same people trying to get the new fatigue rules squashed or watered down considerably.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

CBAA is a joke

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I'm starting to hear Hamilton tossed around a lot more at the midfield.

Don't think it's a great option for clients using Pearson but with this handcuffing of departures and arrivals, it probably will become more valuable than the four letters used in the ALTN box on the flight plan.

S.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

whatsitdoingnow wrote:Ahh the CBAA......the same people trying to get the new fatigue rules squashed or watered down considerably.
As they should be. The new duty time regulations although good for 705 operations are completely out of line for 704 operations, especially those that switch between 604 and 704. The new regulations are a one size fits all solution designed for the 705 world. For example I fly 604/704 on average maybe 4-5 legs a month for around 20hours total, you're going to tell me that I have fatigue issues and can't fly a full duty day to Europe have my required rest then fly a full duty day the next back home, and have two weeks off before the next flight? There needs to be allowances for different types of operations.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

704 airline guys are some of the hardest worked pilots in the country. I feel like this is the wrong thread, but I really hope the new rules give allowances like you mention. 703 and 704 both cover such a vast variety of flying. The rules should be based on the type of flying performed, not the size of the aircraft you fly. Flying a 1900 in an airline is a lot different than flying a corporate charter King Air 350, yet they're both 704. Hopefully we'll see more ops specs like the 703 world has, just be handed out more carefully based on the nature of the specific operation.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Back on topic. Just looking at this mornings notams. Now it is saying slots are to be requested a MAXIMUM of 48hrs in advance. What gives here? These guys need to get their heads on straight!

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote:Back on topic. Just looking at this mornings notams. Now it is saying slots are to be requested a MAXIMUM of 48hrs in advance. What gives here? These guys need to get their heads on straight!
Well, this is a bit of a clusterf$%#k. I wonder just how much notice will be adequate?

CYYZ WEF 2017 MAR 26 1030.
AMEND PUB: RESTRICTIONS: OPR RESTRICTIONS: 1 TO READ 1.A)
ADD: 1.B) ALL NON SKED ACFT ARE REQUIRED TO OBTAIN A SLOT FOR ALL
OPS MAX 48 HRS PRIOR TO ETD OR SKED TIME OF ARR.
CTC GTAA 416-776-SLOT (7568) OR 1-800-267-SLOT (7568).
EXEMPT: MEDEVAC, HEADS OF STATE, POLICE, MILITARY, HELI AND SPORTS
CHARTERS.

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

The original memo was revised and updated:
http://apps.torontopearson.com/torontop ... ileid=2168

Highlights include:
-Normal Operating Hours (0630-0029L)
General/Business Aviation Operators are required to book arrival and departure slots up to 48 hours prior to Estimated Time of Departure (ETD) or Arrival (STA).

-The availability to book slots is on a 48-hr rolling window prior to your arrival or departure request (i.e. a slot can be booked at the time of call for an arrival or departure slot within the next 48hrs). Slots outside of the 48 hour window will not be allocated.

-Slots will be valid for a period of ±1hr from the Estimated Time of Departure (ETD) or Arrival (STA) (e.g. a reservation for 1430L is valid from 1330L to 1530L); however operations are not permitted within the ‘Restricted Operating Hours’ without explicit permission to do so.

-For dates outside of the defined period for ‘Runway 05/23 Runway Rehabilitation Activities’ (see below), six (6) slots will be allocated per hour (e.g. 0630-0659, 0700-0759, 0800-0859…2300-2359, 0000-0029) within the normal operating hours (0630-0029L). Note the shoulder hours of 0630-0659 and 0000-0029 will be allocated under same operating parameters as the whole hours (i.e. six (6)).

-Runway 05/23 Rehabilitation Activities
Rehabilitation activities are scheduled for Runway 05/23 from March 28, 2017 to approximately May 16, 2017; and, October 10, 2017 to approximately November 03, 2017. Slots will be allocated using the methodology described above, however arrival slots will not be assigned to GA/BA operators from 1500 to 1959 local time; departures will still be assigned.

Have Pratts - Will Travel
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

If you experience any problems with the yyz slot program, CBAA would like you to send a report here...
https://lconsulting.wufoo.com/forms/gta ... ns-at-yyz/

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

thanks Johnny. I will be sending in a report. It's really screwed with our company plans at least 5 times already just off the top of my head.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I haven't flown since the slots came into effect. What kind of delays or issues did you have?
BTW I replied to your pm about six months ago lol

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

They're certainly not the jolliest bunch to deal with, either. Although, if I got some crusty M-Fer on the other line giving them the business, I may have reduced jolliness as well.

Anyway, I too am experiencing headaches.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

The issue I'm finding is running into the end of your duty day and getting stranded at some half way home airport because your company can't get a slot.

So many clients want to come back at the end of their business day between 3-8pm and we end up going to Hamilton and sitting for 4 hours.

So companies that want to fly will find a way. Unfortunately it doesn't always mean rainbows and sunshine for the pilots.

S.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote:The issue I'm finding is running into the end of your duty day and getting stranded at some half way home airport because your company can't get a slot..

Similar thing happened to one of our company aircraft tonight. Had to wait for departure to yyz, after flying a couple of long legs, due to a slot time availability, flow control delayed even further into yyz, duty day was tapped and they're stuck away from base for another night. Had they been able to depart when their slot was allocated, there would have been no issue getting home.

My question is, what is the point of being obligated to obtain a slot if you can't use it anyways?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I thought this was supposed to minimize or eliminate flow control? Oh my, that would be so incredibly frustrating. Something to keep an eye out for.

This seriously needs to be addressed, and IMO the based GA operators are absorbing an unfair burden on their already slim pickings for work.

S.

Return to “Corporate”