Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

UFLYMIKE QC15/25 Opinions

Post by KenoraPilot »

Hey

Has anyone used the QC25 vs QC15 for the UflyMike System? I am really interested in getting this system and just trying to figure out what I want to order. The new harmony system is coming out and it looks really good. I am currently rocking the on-ear Senheisser ANC in the Dash 8 classic and CRJ.

Just looking for reviews/suggestions and comments PRO/CON for these.

Thanks so much, you can PM if you don't want to turn this into a huge thread.

Cheers
KP
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: UFLYMIKE QC15/25 Opinions

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I have used the QC15 UFM setup and it's really great. 1 rechargeable battery lasts a few full days of flying. I always keep two rechargeable ready to go.

Great sound if you like to tunes it up in the cockpit as well on long legs.

If you have to commute, it swaps easily into a normal headset for catching up on the AC movie list.

S.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

I am going on 4 years and three different airplanes with the same QC15/Uflymike combo, one of the airplanes was a Metro. It is a great headset with excellent noise cancelling, you can use it on commutes as already mentioned. When I bought it, I think it was the best value for the money. It is not as quiet at A20, I think it is due to lack of passive noise suppression aka padding since the headset is small, but it also does not cost 1100 dollars.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

I have a QC15/UFlyMike but haven't used it in a while. The biggest con of this setup is that if the battery dies you lose all audio. Not a huge deal but something to be aware of vs. "standard" aviation headset where you will lose the active noise cancellation but you can still hear radio communications if the battery dies.

I don't know if the QC25 has the same issue.

Glenn

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I used to use it on the Caravan in a SPIFR setup, but stopped after departing out of YYZ and had to switch to the handheld mic. Not a big deal, just increases workload should she decide to drop out (and she usually does when you depress the mic button lol).

Two crew cockpits much better, second guy can grab comms if battery goes tits up.

S.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

I should mention that there is a light on the headset that starts blinking when your battery has a quarter or so capacity left, so when it starts blinking ( I usually check when I turn the headset off after a flight ) I just replace the battery, haven't had it quit on me unexpectedly yet.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Wrote my last post tired and right before bed...

If you're disciplined in watching for the blinking light, that's great, but if you're ever in an operation where it's go, go, go, sometimes you can forget to check the battery.

I think it gives you an audible drop out, 3 or 4 times before she goes dead. But once it goes, headset has to come off to fix the problem, which is a distraction and can interfere with taxiing or clearances.

Can't remember what the official certification requirement is that aviation headsets generally comply with. Some airlines to the south and internationally require the headset to operate sans batteries.

I think in Canada, we're pretty flexible, as with just about everything else.

After having said all that, I love the headset, and use it as a spare when I fly with my family around town. It was my primary for a while, but my company now supplies and in aircraft Bose.

S.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

schnitzel2k3 wrote:Wrote my last post tired and right before bed...

If you're disciplined in watching for the blinking light, that's great, but if you're ever in an operation where it's go, go, go, sometimes you can forget to check the battery.

I think it gives you an audible drop out, 3 or 4 times before she goes dead. But once it goes, headset has to come off to fix the problem, which is a distraction and can interfere with taxiing or clearances.

Can't remember what the official certification requirement is that aviation headsets generally comply with. Some airlines to the south and internationally require the headset to operate sans batteries.

I think in Canada, we're pretty flexible, as with just about everything else.

After having said all that, I love the headset, and use it as a spare when I fly with my family around town. It was my primary for a while, but my company now supplies and in aircraft Bose.

S.
Yeah, it is definitely something to think about when getting this headset. I think part of the UFM TSO compliance is to have a set of earbud-type headphones in your pocket at all times.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I have a uflymike on the B737. Amazing system. My battery lasts me 3 pairings (~12 days of flying)+commuting. I get about a day worth of advance notice of impending battery failure. It starts cutting out on touchdown for a second. Once it does that I know I should replace the battery.

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by florch »

Ki-ll wrote:

Yeah, it is definitely something to think about when getting this headset. I think part of the UFM TSO compliance is to have a set of earbud-type headphones in your pocket at all times.
It gives lots of warning besides the flashing light. When it drops out on landing or the cockpit door slamming, you have hours left. I tried it in the jumpseat once to see how long it would go. I was so sick of it after a few hours, I ran out of patience before the battery died, so I replaced it. That's with an alkaline, which you should be using because a rechargeable will fail much more suddenly. As far as having the earbud TSO, you are supposed to plug them into the set and wear them under the earpads. Somewhat cumbersome to set up each day but more fail proof. If you don't care about the TSO, you can plug any earbuds into the UFly Mike in this manner and you are backed up.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

You know what, I was using rechargeable AAA's, so that may have been the problem. It always seemed so much more sudden than I would have anticipated. And I was...relatively diligent with replacing them.

Regardless of the above, I absolutely love the headset. If I had to equip a cockpit for low cost, I'd probably still go the UFM route.

Good luck with your choice! UFM seems to have lots of reasonably priced options (Harmony?) on their website. I think I saw the QC15's advertised at Costco for a reasonable price. They had a pallet full of them.

The website is also promoting the fact that with their new setup, it is TSO certified and they have discontinued the old A100 mic setup. That may fix all the complaints we are making.

Cheers,

S.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

The QC25's also do not loose audio when the ANR dies. This in itself makes the QC25 and Harmony bundle a winner. Not to mention the new Harmony set up looks very neat. I have tried the QC25's as just audio headphones and they work very well. Both ANR on and off.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Awesome thanks all! Just purchased the QC25 and waiting for my Harmony

Slowprop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Slowprop »

Same here

Bought my QC25 a month ago just waiting for my harmony set.

System looks awesome plus they are saying because QC25 does not lose audio when battery dies it should get TSO certified by next year

Nwtflier
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nwtflier »

Has anyone found a way to store it in the UFM case with the mic boom still attached?

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dirtdr »

I have a qc15 setup and just received two harmony kits in the mail a couple weeks ago.

I have yet to try em out in the plane.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I have th QC25 and the new Harmony, finally got mine after delay after delay....but it's so worth it! They are fantastic! Love that the audio doesn't die with the QC 25 and the mic set up on Harmony is awesome!! So worth the wait!

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Curious, is there a setup for the qc20 in-ear buds? I use them for general airline commuting and they're fantastic. Would need a boom setup like clarity aloft however.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I thought about that. I like the in ear types. The best option I could find was the QC Halo with a custom ear mold.

Still waiting on my Harmony now for two months. Supposed to ship on the 20th. My Lightspeeds broke AGAIN the other day so I'm really hoping these get shipped soon.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Black_Tusk wrote:I thought about that. I like the in ear types. The best option I could find was the QC Halo with a custom ear mold.

Still waiting on my Harmony now for two months. Supposed to ship on the 20th. My Lightspeeds broke AGAIN the other day so I'm really hoping these get shipped soon.

It's awesome!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”