Westjet to start ultra low cost carrier

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

johngalt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Westjet to start ultra low cost carrier

Post by johngalt »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calg ... -1.4077103

Interesting news. So now there will be three pilot groups at wj?
---------- ADS -----------

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Westjet to start ultra low cost carrier

Post by flyer 1492 »

I guess that means that WestJet and Encore employees are considered the HIGH price help. Here we go again with companies driving down the wages and working conditions.

Flyer

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

To offer lower fares, don't you have to cut something?

You are already paying for baggage. You are already paying for in-flight entertainment. You are already paying for food. You already have no leg or shoulder room.

What more can the cut? No more bag of pretzels?

Or is it the wages that will be cut?

ipilot54
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ipilot54 »

Perhaps this?

Attachments
Seats.jpg
Seats.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

This is frankly a complete garbage insult to the entire industry. Is it truly necessary to degrade flying to the same level as taking the bus?? Obviously there's going to be concessions and aggressive cost cutting (like the previous poster mentioned). They make a joke of their safety briefings and now they make a joke of our profession. Shame on WestJet - they have, and are continuing, to bring down this industry!

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

737 Max 8 with sculptured interior and 200 Slimline 29" pitch seats
Smiles....FREE :smt040

kilpicki
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by kilpicki »

Don't apply for a pilot position, don't book a ticket.

FlyingMonkey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FlyingMonkey »

infiniteregulus wrote:This is frankly a complete garbage insult to the entire industry. Is it truly necessary to degrade flying to the same level as taking the bus?? Obviously there's going to be concessions and aggressive cost cutting (like the previous poster mentioned). They make a joke of their safety briefings and now they make a joke of our profession. Shame on WestJet - they have, and are continuing, to bring down this industry!
You're an idiot.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Please elaborate

ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ditar »

I wonder how much it'll cost to use the toilet.

pollyperkins
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pollyperkins »

infiniteregulus wrote:Please elaborate
Because you obviously know nothing about operating an airline in an extremely cost competitive environment. I ask you - How many airlines have come and gone trying to do business in an environment with the price of fuel, manpower cost expectations, maintenance costs and foreign exchange (CAN vs US $$$) all stacked against us.

I will not get into operating margins but you must know that operating costs are a huge cut into margins.

As pilots we always complain about poor pay but you now balk at a situation that could ensure the viability of continued airline/pilot success in Canada.

If the idea of a "bus in the sky" doesn't appeal to you then maybe you should try to start up another Wardair and see how far you get - those days are gone.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

And as soon as New Leaf disappears this new venture will be shelved.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

This is frankly a complete garbage insult to the entire industry. Is it truly necessary to degrade flying to the same level as taking the bus?? Obviously there's going to be concessions and aggressive cost cutting (like the previous poster mentioned). They make a joke of their safety briefings and now they make a joke of our profession. Shame on WestJet - they have, and are continuing, to bring down this industry!

Truer words were never said ! WestJet started the race to the bottom, Encore wages and now this perpetuate it. WestJet took all the people from the Greyhound bus shelter and brought them to the Airport.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

We are all slamming WestJet for their ultra low cost carrier and how it may affect the pilots and the employees but we must not forget that all this is driven by the consumers. Someone mentioned the bus passengers and it is these former bus passengers who want champagne service for beer prices and are so used to indignities that they accept it as part of the price of travel.
Maybe the consumers will now start having to paying higher fees to park their cars and trucks. Maybe there will be more and bigger parking meters at the drop off gates, Maybe there will be a coin slot in the baggage carts, Maybe there will be a fee to enter the terminal building. What will it cost to de-contaminate the area when some garlic eater farts and stinks up the joint?
Maybe there will no longer be any free stuff.
Am I in a Walter Mitty dream world to think that the above fees collected by the Airport Authority will be passed on to the airlines as a reduction in fees to the airlines. I think not.
What will happen if (heaven forbid) there is an incident like the one with United. Will the ultra low cost airline aggressively fight the lawsuit with little regard for the bad publicity it will generate? How much will the ultra low cost airline compensate a bumped passenger? $300:00 or a Timmys $20:00 gift card and have a nice day? How much compensation will the airlines provide for lost or damaged luggage?
That sure appears to be what the consumers want.
But more importantly, how much of this new attitude and cost cutting measures to the consumer will be passed on to the flight crews?
Does anyone know or are we all just guessing?

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Firstly, I don't see calling names having any productive merit. I appreciate the elaboration so as to have a conversation on this matter.

I don't exclude the economics of airline margins, but the exact question of WHERE these lower operating costs will come from must be asked. It's my understanding that margins are in the ballpark of sub 2% which isn't much wiggle room. EVERYTHING has a cost, and like it's been said by others, the cost of fuel, airplanes, maintenance, parts, etc, are essentially fixed, so the only real avenue of change would be labour (and high capacity configurations, though that's relative). It would be great to find an alternative method, but when it comes down to it, management's job everyday is to care for the company's bottom line and guess what the easy way out is? Labour. As for pilots, we operate the machines, regardless of what colours are painted on the outside, and as a pilot, you're damn straight I'm concerned about OUR bottomline. The balancing dilemma is employment vs wages. And I'm sorry but flying a plane is nowhere near the same level of technical skill and training as a bus driver, and why on earth one would assimilate ourselves to that fact is beyond me. We should have a little pride. This "situation" does not seem like a "pilot success" to me, but a failure on ALL our part. It boils down to fear and not standing up for what we're worth. Heck we'll all be replaced by robots in the future by some capacity anyway...are you still going to justify the cost savings on that??

Economics works not only for the paying public but also for the workforce as well. The effect of this will undoubtedly ripple to every company in the country. Say goodbye to all the pilots at Flair/New Leaf, bye bye wages and conditions at Rouge, Georgian, Sky, Jazz, EVAS, Porter upon which were vigorously fought to at minimum maintain. I know for fact that Encore's very inception is directly responsible for the lowered contracts at Jazz, Georgian, Sky, and partly Rouge...I know because I was part of the negotiations table.
I don't work for WestJet, however, I do work as a pilot, and this in turn effects me and every single one of us. And if this is something that can be prevented, I'm surely going to voice my opinion. My wife just finished school and her entry level job right out of school (nothing technical in any capacity) pays more than what I make after 10 years of working. And we're going to willfully lower it even more? I'm sorry but that's just insane. Why must a company's success be on our backs? Who knows, in the end WestJet may very have the wages stay the same, but I'd sure ask the question when the vote comes out. Anyhow...my opinion. Rant over, back to work haha :rolleyes:

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

FICU wrote:And as soon as New Leaf disappears this new venture will be shelved.
That's how I see it as well. It's been done before.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

oldtimer wrote:We are all slamming WestJet for their ultra low cost carrier and how it may affect the pilots and the employees but we must not forget that all this is driven by the consumers.
It's not what I want, as one consumer.. I'm flying to Asia twice this year, and for the first time I've ditched AC and am flying Cathay. AC with their HD 777 went over my personal line. Lotta horrible reviews too. When air travel slows with the economy, lets see how well that strategy works.

Won't catch me on Rouge or WJ's product if I can help it, and I'll gladly give my money to foreign carriers. All about the space for me.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

I think O'Leary said that Europeans will crawl backwards naked over broken glass for cheaper air fares. I suspect Canadians will too. They may complain a lot more about it, but they will still buy the tickets.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

And I'm sorry but flying a plane is nowhere near the same level of technical skill and training as a bus driver,
That to a certain degree is true, however when you look at the training time required to become a commercial pilot and the low standards to qualify for flight training flying is not exactly rocket science either.

The wages a pilot makes are directly driven by what a pilot considers they are worth.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Koalemos
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Koalemos »

I do have to chuckle at the social media reaction from passengers. They love the idea of lower fares ... but want more leg room, free bags, food, and of course better service. :rolleyes:

Judging by the Encore startup, they will no doubt try to hire at 10% lower than industry standard pay with shit working rules. And will try to pass it off as required, but will improve (some time?). The Koolaid is free tho.

Makes me sad for the industry. Hopefully I'm proven wrong. There are worse outfits out there to work for (and how sad is that????).

Return to “General Comments”