WestJet To Launch ULCC

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: WestJet To Launch ULCC

Post by True North »

3down&loct wrote:A great step towards unifying the pilot group in Canada.
Ultimately after WJ certifies it would be great to see AC join and perhaps Sunwing, who I understand initially did want ALPA.
The spiral downwards needs to end.
I do not see Delta,United, SW nor American going broke because their pilots are paid to much and worked to hard.
To paraphrase; you've been drinking way too much ALPA Kool Aid.

I had the misfortune of being represented by them for a portion of my career, an utterly useless organization. And I was working for an American carrier. If you think ALPA Canada is going to do anything for you that your own association can't, you're delusional. Oh, they will take your money though. They are very good at that.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

True North wrote:

I had the misfortune of being represented by them for a portion of my career, an utterly useless organization. And I was working for an American carrier. If you think ALPA Canada is going to do anything for you that your own association can't, you're delusional. Oh, they will take your money though. They are very good at that.
Hopefully you do not have a vote in the matter at WJ. And if you do, there are probably 2 yes votes for every no vote. My guess is that the WJ pilots will impress ALPA as the newest member group and that the WJ pilots will be impressed by ALPA.

It is the members that make the organization. That applies both locally and nationally. ALPA has evolved and changed over decades and will continue to do so at the behest of its constituents whom are also the organization's leaders and decision makers.

Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Darkwing Duck »

True North wrote:
3down&loct wrote:Pilots in Canada need to start uniting and put an end to this BS. The only ones benefiting from this crap is the Executive Teams. Corporate greed is killing North America.
Fellow WestJet pilots. Sign a card please.
Love to see AC join ALPA once we do.
For the record I am pretty sure WJ pilots will vote this down, but of course this will mean nothing as the Company will go ahead anyway.
Embarrassed to be a WJ pilot today
I love the hysteria. :roll:

Since there are no details at all yet, why is it you assume the worst and the release I read said the whole thing is contingent on an agreement with the pilots. How would being represented by ALPA change anything?

Love the hysteria? Funny how this has all happened in the past with now defunct carriers. And WJ did it with WJ Jr. Lower wages, poorer work conditions, and on and on. Just a grab for the faster all mighty buck and a race to the bottom for those needing to bulk up hours. This is going to be a training ground for Encore which is already a training ground for senior.

Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

rudder wrote:
True North wrote:

Hopefully you do not have a vote in the matter at WJ. And if you do, there are probably 2 yes votes for every no vote. My guess is that the WJ pilots will impress ALPA as the newest member group and that the WJ pilots will be impressed by ALPA.

It is the members that make the organization. That applies both locally and nationally. ALPA has evolved and changed over decades and will continue to do so at the behest of its constituents whom are also the organization's leaders and decision makers.
You keep telling yourself that.

If the ALPA vote passes, what say we reconvene here in a year and you can tell us all how wonderful life is under their representation. Even though you'll be thousands of dollars poorer.

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Divide and conquer. Saretsky has clearly learned from Julius Caesar and Napoleon and the British Empire and I think that this is his response to the likelihood of the unionization of WS. That will be his legacy - unionization - not widebodies - and I expect that he doesn't like it and this is the way to force division and maybe avoid a union. Given my conversations with those in mainline WS, the union thing will probably pass. I told a buddy there "I'll bet you guys are unionized by Christmas" His reply: "Try by the summer". It didn't have to be that way but Saretsky has morphed it from People Passengers Profits into Profits Profits Profits. Too bad. I'm represented by ALPA at my present company. Haven't seen anything really good or bad. They collect dues faithfully but I do get 4 hours credit for a DH or day of reserve. It will be a good case study to see if conditions improve or not at WS (assuming they unionize). Of real interest will be what happens to the common seniority list with Encore if mainline goes union and Encore is not.
Thread drift - back to the ULCC. No more cookies or pretzels??

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

True North wrote:

You seem to be in the minority on this particular forum in your disdain for ALPA.

Yep, it costs a few bucks to be part of the largest professional pilot's organization in the world that provides the best in labour relations expertise, pilot medical support, legal support and - maybe most important of all - has been a prime driver in a lot of flight safety enhancements that have been made over the association's long history.

What has the WJPA done for the industry?

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

rxl wrote:
True North wrote:

You seem to be in the minority on this particular forum in your disdain for ALPA.

Yep, it costs a few bucks to be part of the largest professional pilot's organization in the world that provides the best in labour relations expertise, pilot medical support, legal support and - maybe most important of all - has been a prime driver in a lot of flight safety enhancements that have been made over the association's long history.

What has the WJPA done for the industry?? They represent the WJ pilots, not the industry and it seems to me the working conditions at WJ are pretty good. WestJet also has an enviable safety record so they are doing something right.

ALPA is a corporation. They don't give a shit about you or your working conditions. Don't be naive, they will tell you everything you want to hear because they are in dire financial straits right now and care only about your money. Who is it, FedEx and Delta that are suing ALPA? Have you talked to them? You probably should.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

True North wrote:
rxl wrote:
True North wrote:

What has the WJPA done for the industry?? They represent the WJ pilots, not the industry and it seems to me the working conditions at WJ are pretty good. WestJet also has an enviable safety record so they are doing something right.

ALPA is a corporation. They don't give a shit about you or your working conditions. Don't be naive, they will tell you everything you want to hear because they are in dire financial straits right now and care only about your money. Who is it, FedEx and Delta that are suing ALPA? Have you talked to them? You probably should.
I am curious True North, who do you work for currently? You seem to have a complete misunderstanding of what the WJPA is. It is not an association in the same way as ACPA is. The contract "negotiated" is not legally binding. Members from WJPA recently met with Mike Duffy, and it wasn't to improve aviation safety. WJPA represents managment, nothing more. They do no represent the Westjet pilots in any fashion what so ever. So please inform us, who is it you work for today. Who did you work for in the passed that you don't like ALPA. And if you are going to say an airline is suing ALPA, i think you need to do better than, "I think it is FEDEX or Delta."

I am currently represented by ALPA. I am happy with my representation. I couldn't imagine being a pilot and not having professional representation. I may not agree with everything ALPA international does, but our MEC guys are solid.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

TrueNorth
"Don't be naive, they will tell you everything you want to hear because they are in dire financial straits right now and care only about your money. Who is it, FedEx and Delta that are suing ALPA?"

How about showing us some concrete proof of your claim.

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Smitty »

Lots of info here. Not necessarily suing, but definitely shows that many are unsatisfied with ALPA.

http://delta-pilots.org

There is a fedex class action suit though.

http://www.shortfall2015.com/questions-answered.html

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

truedude wrote:
True North wrote:
rxl wrote:

I am curious True North, who do you work for currently? You seem to have a complete misunderstanding of what the WJPA is. It is not an association in the same way as ACPA is. The contract "negotiated" is not legally binding. Members from WJPA recently met with Mike Duffy, and it wasn't to improve aviation safety. WJPA represents managment, nothing more. They do no represent the Westjet pilots in any fashion what so ever. So please inform us, who is it you work for today. Who did you work for in the passed that you don't like ALPA. And if you are going to say an airline is suing ALPA, i think you need to do better than, "I think it is FEDEX or Delta."

I am currently represented by ALPA. I am happy with my representation. I couldn't imagine being a pilot and not having professional representation. I may not agree with everything ALPA international does, but our MEC guys are solid.
I don't work for anyone, I've been retired for a while now. I worked for a time at a major US carrier and was represented by ALPA. I do some consulting work sporadically and I maintain an interest in the industry because I still have a lot of friends working.

You are wrong on most all of your points. The contract that the WJ pilots have negotiated is most certainly legally binding under Canadian Labour Law.

Do you know why the WJPA reps met with Mike Duffy?

I have met a couple of members of the WJPA, they absolutely represent the pilots, not management. I can't imagine where you get that idea.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

3down&loct wrote:TrueNorth
"Don't be naive, they will tell you everything you want to hear because they are in dire financial straits right now and care only about your money. Who is it, FedEx and Delta that are suing ALPA?"

How about showing us some concrete proof of your claim.
Smitty beat me to it but I would think that anyone prepared to hand over thousands of their hard earned dollars to any corporation would to a little due diligence first. :roll:

Have you even looked into ALPA's financial state? How will you feel when, a year or so after you have signed up and while you are still bitterly embroiled trying to get your first contract signed, you're several thousand dollars in the hole because of your dues and ALPA tells you that you need to fork over another $5000 (or more) right now? Because they can and they likely will.

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Smitty »

truedude wrote:
True North wrote:
rxl wrote:

Hi Truedude.

Your statement on the legal status of non union representation in Canada is incorrect. Unlike the States, Canada did not follow suit by outlawing non unions plans.

Agreements negotiated by non union bodies may not be recognized by the CIRB, but they do fall under common law. All this means is a dispute is brought to the courts instead of the CIRB (which is just a quasi judicial body that administers the labour code).

https://www.jstor.org/stable/23074247?s ... b_contents

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

TrueNorth,
Sure Fedex is suing. Hell I could sue anyone at anytime, however till the case goes to court and a judge decides nothing can be considered as factual.
As far as financial stuff.
http://www.alpa.org/news-and-events/air ... eighing-in

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

@Smitty

Thanks for the reference. But the WJPA still doesn't have the bargaining power that a union has, or the tools a union has. Twice in recent memory a vote was canceled once it was clear to management the numbers were not going in their favor. That sort of nonsense needs to end. Nor are the WJPA representatives separated from management. I also don't agree with your comment on the CIRB being a quasi judicial body. Ask the Air Canada pilots how "quasi" they were when the seniority issue was being played out. In any case, there are over 300 active resumes at Air Canada from Westjet pilots. I doubt there are many Air Canada pilots with resumes at Westjet....

@TrueNorth

Your still not answering the question. Who did you work for? Why is this such a big secret? When did you retire? What decade? What sort of consulting work do you do? And for whom?

As far as the WJPA representing the pilots, that is a joke. Twice they brought something to the pilot group that has been voted down. Everyone I know who works there does not believe this association is representing them.

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Smitty »

Hi truedude

This is from the CIRB website.

"The CIRB is an independent, representational, quasi-judicial tribunal responsible for the interpretation and administration of Part I (Industrial Relations), and certain provisions of Part II (Occupational Health and Safety) of the Canada Labour Code"

Here's the link to their webpage with he rest of the text.

http://www.cirb-ccri.gc.ca/eic/site/047.nsf/Intro

And agreements get voted down with a fair amount of regularity. So if that's the standard, then I'd wager very few bargaining units meet that.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

truedude wrote: @TrueNorth

Your still not answering the question. Who did you work for? Why is this such a big secret? When did you retire? What decade? What sort of consulting work do you do? And for whom?
Why do you care?
As far as the WJPA representing the pilots, that is a joke. Twice they brought something to the pilot group that has been voted down.
In my near 40 years in the biz, I can't remember a proposal that passed on the first initiative. That's just how bargaining goes. It sure as hell doesn't mean the representatives are management shills.
Everyone I know who works there does not believe this association is representing them.
Funny, everyone I know does.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

3down&loct wrote:TrueNorth,
Sure Fedex is suing. Hell I could sue anyone at anytime, however till the case goes to court and a judge decides nothing can be considered as factual.
As far as financial stuff.
http://www.alpa.org/news-and-events/air ... eighing-in
You're right I'm sure. There can't possibly be any good reason for the FedEx pilots to launch a lawsuit. Probably just a couple of bad apples trying to stir the pot, everyone else is deliriously happy.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

@TrueNorth,

The last two contracts voted for at Jazz that were negotiated by ALPA passed on the first vote. So... .

As far as who you worked for, it goes to credibility; your throwing a lot of stuff around, yet not prepared to indicate why you're so jaded towards ALPA. Hard to take seriously, particularly when it appears your have a reason to so staunchly defend the WJPA, while so admittedly opposing ALPA...

Like it or not, WestJet Pilots will likely unionize this time around. And they are better for doing so.

True North
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by True North »

truedude wrote:@TrueNorth,

The last two contracts voted for at Jazz that were negotiated by ALPA passed on the first vote. So... .
So what? Seems to me the last one in particular was rather concessionary, no?
As far as who you worked for, it goes to credibility; your throwing a lot of stuff around, yet not prepared to indicate why your so jaded towards ALPA. Hard to take seriously, particularly when it appears your have a reason to so staunchly defend the WJPA, while so admittedly opposing ALPA...

Like it or not, WestJet Pilots will likely unionize this time around. And they are better for doing so.
I've posted my history on here a couple of times, can't be bothered to do it again and don't care whether you take me seriously or not. I'm posting my opinions based on my personal experiences. Take them or leave them.

The WestJet pilots may well end up with APLA, we'll know soon enough and in the end it doesn't matter to me even a little bit. You are the guys who will have to fork over the dough and live with your decision, not me.

Best of luck.

Return to “WestJet”