Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0

Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

Post by Back2Can »

Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian pilot who went abroad to fly the 320 for an Asian carrier. While I had a good time out there, I'd like to return home now. Where should I apply with the following stats?

1030TT
800 hours on the Airbus 320

I can't seem to find any A320 operators looking for First Officers with such a low TT.
Also, most of the low-cost carriers seem to be operating the 737 instead of the Airbus, so would that be my best bet? How would I go about that?
Or should I just stay in Asia until I have more hours and hope for a job on the Airbus in Canada?
The problem is that I recently found out that my current airline has an unspoken policy of not upgrading any foreign pilots, only locals, so I don't see a future here at all.

Thanks a lot.
Brian
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Back2Can on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Where to apply for jobs for Airbus 320?

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Back2Can »

Sorry? What??? I don't mind being a First Officer, in fact, I enjoy it a lot. It's just that I want to at least have a hope of being a Captain one day. That's all, no offence intended.

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Back2Can »

Okay, guys, I read some more of this forum and I see why people think I'm a troll. I've edited my post to remove the "offending" material. I hope I will get some real responses now because I am very unsure of what to do and need some advice.

I really want to go back home to Canada. I miss my friends and family (and sane government) so badly. I wouldn't say that going to Asia was a mistake, but wow, things are different here. The airline treats foreign pilots like dirt and my contract might as well have been written with a pencil. Does anybody have any leads for an A320 job in Canada for somebody with low time? I've been searching for weeks and nothing has turned up. At this point, I am even considering downgrading to turboprop but I really hope that I don't have to since I already have jet time.

Brian

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

The only airline that operates 320s is Air Canada, but I've heard Air Transat is trading in their 310s for 321 Neos soon. But both require more than a 1000 hours (and to be competitive you'll need PIC hours as well) to be hired though.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Back2Can »

jpilot77 wrote:The only airline that operates 320s is Air Canada, but I've heard Air Transat is trading in their 310s for 321 Neos soon. But both require more than a 1000 hours (and to be competitive you'll need PIC hours as well) to be hired though.
I don't have any PIC time except from my initial training. Also, my airline has no PICUS program and also no upgrade opportunities to get command time since I am not a local, so there is nothing I can do. Does that mean that I am completely stuck and have to downgrade to turboprop? Is there any other way? I feel like I am trapped since most Canadian jobs want an ATPL but I can't get an ATPL without command time, but I can't get command time since my airline won't upgrade us.

Brian

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

You could “downgrade” to turboprop if you’re lucky but you’d still be an FO since you have no PIC time. Lots of guys have quit their cushy right seat gigs to become instructors or go into the bush on a King Air for a couple years to get that pic time so they can get their ATPL. Airlines in Canada usually hire FO’s with a minimum of an ATPL, 1500 hours and 500 MPIC.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

You're better off sticking it out until you have 1500 hours and then applying to Jazz, Encore, Georgian etc.

Or find a right seat King Air job with a quick left seat upgrade. Either way, you likely won't be flying a jet for a while if you decide to come back to Canada.

Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Back2Can »

Black_Tusk wrote:Or find a right seat King Air job with a quick left seat upgrade. Either way, you likely won't be flying a jet for a while if you decide to come back to Canada.
If I were to become a flight instructor to get the ATPL, then is there any chance I would be eligible for jet jobs? Like A320 for Air Canada, CRJ at Jazz, or 737 for low-cost carriers (Sunwing, NewLeaf, etc). Also, do you need to be typed on the 737 to get those low-cost carrier jobs because I can't afford it -- the FI rating will take the rest of my savings and I am only making 1000USD/month right now.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

In Canada you do not need to buy a type rating for an airline job. When you get hired by Air Canada or West jet (or a regional) they will train you on the aircraft you'll be flying, even if it were to be AC you might not get the 320.

Canadian airlines hire based on experience, education and references. If you do want to be employed here I suggest applying to all the 705 companies plus all the 704 companies that make sense.. close to home or a city you want to live etc.. from that point see if anyone is interested and go from there.

Seeing as how you have a lack of knowledge on the Canadian industry let us know where you'd like to live and perhaps some can let you know which companies may be around.

I fly 320s in Canada right now and as cushy and nice that it is, my previous job flying up north was FAR more enjoyable and rewarding. I do have a much better lifestyle at my current gig but flying a transport catagory jet isn't as fun as flying a turboprop in and out of crappy northern strips.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

I am only making 1000 USD/month right now.
Please stop...

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Back2Can »

telex wrote:
I am only making 1000 USD/month right now.
Please stop...
Actually, that is not the reason I want to stop. It may not sound like much in the Canadian sense but it is maybe 5x or 10x the median salary here. I live a quite comfortable life and also the company pays for housing expenses. The only problem is that I can't really save money for the move back to Canada because of the exchange rate.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

You would be surprised at how much you will learn by taking a "downgrade" to a turboprop or piston. You will become a better pilot because of it. You tried to skip a step and it didn't work out.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Probably something like a King air FO or PIC on a C172 or C206 (good news, they aren't turboprops if you don't like those ;-) ). You'll need to get your ATPL at some point, or you'll be screwed for the rest of your career.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Why is flying a prop a downgrade? It doesn't make a difference what aircraft you are strapped to, it all looks the same from the pointy end of the ship.

I would suggest you do some research about how the industry works here in Canada. It would open your eyes a little and give you a better chance finding something.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Back2Can »

Okay, it looks like I may have ruffled a few feathers here. Perhaps "downgrade" was not the right term to use. I just meant downgrade as in size of the airplane, not that turboprop pilots are worse or anything!! My apologies.

The reason I am hesitant to switch to turboprop is because ... I LOVE the Airbus. It's a dream to fly and the cockpit is nice and spacious and quiet and wonderful in every way and everything I imagined it to be since I was a kid. Flying a jet has always been my dream and I'm not sure I will enjoy/be happy with flying props now that I've had a taste of the big metal.

Anyways, the responses here have given me a lot to think about. I thank everybody who took the time to reply.

Happy landings
Brian

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

Ok, I'll bite the bullet... Brian, could you please share your career path so far? Considering your TT and Time on type, did you go for a Self-sponsored A320 Type Rating + 1.000h Line Training Program? I'd honestly like to know how you got yourself to that ''nice and spacious and quiet and wonderful cockpit'' . Was it through an EASA ATO? Thanks.

Back2Can
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Back2Can »

skybluetrek wrote:Ok, I'll bite the bullet... Brian, could you please share your career path so far? Considering your TT and Time on type, did you go for a Self-sponsored A320 Type Rating + 1.000h Line Training Program? I'd honestly like to know how you got yourself to that ''nice and spacious and quiet and wonderful cockpit'' . Was it through an EASA ATO? Thanks.
I got a FAA Airbus type rating and then got an offer with the airline under the condition that I pay upfront for the first 500 hours line training/base training.

Return to “Employment Forum”