Tipping your shuttle drivers

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TrashPanda
Rank 0
Rank 0

Tipping your shuttle drivers

Post by TrashPanda »

Do you folks that take hotel shuttles get a tipping allowance provided by your company?

Mine, for one doesn't and I'm curious as to what is the norm.

705 operation, various layover cities in US and Canada, 300ish pilots (and shrinking everyday)
---------- ADS -----------

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Tipping your shuttle drivers

Post by jpilot77 »

Mine does.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I tip the shuttle driver only because the company gives me the money. When at work the driver is providing the company with a service not you. I don't tip the fueler, catering person or anyone else providing a service to the company

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

It's pretty standard at my company that all 4 crew members will each tip $1 per shuttle ride. It's a practice that predates my time there, but I think we receive money for it buried somewhere deep down in the contract.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

$5 provided to Captains to tip the shuttle drivers.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

My company gives us a few dollars for check in and check out. I usually give $1 usd in the us and either a toonie or a loonie depending on what I have in Canada. In Mexico, C America and the Caribbean ill usually tip a bit more in their currency or USD. Figure they need the money more than me.

In the 5 years at my company I can't remember a time that the pilots didn't tip someone. The FAs at the main component were much better at tipping (100%ish) than at my current posting in our vacation based component.

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

My company gives an allowance for tips. I really think tipping culture is goofy. Plus there's always the shuttle driver who does not even leave his seats to help with bags... I wanted to tell I'm maybe if you get up and help people would be more inclined to tip.... I mean I still tip anyways because it's pre paid. I just don't get it... where do we draw the line... should we tip flight attendants? Tip through mcdonalds drive through. Ahh anyways, end of rant, just think tips are 3rd world slave like attitude to have in any industry here... pay your employees and fire the bad ones.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I like not waiting for my shuttle when I'm ready to go to the hotel. A buck or two a ride helps that I think...

I always look after the tip for the whole crew on Narita layovers...

hst
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hst »

altiplano wrote: I always look after the tip for the whole crew on Narita layovers...
Japan and China are no tipping cultures (at least at my Asian airline). :wink:

TrashPanda
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TrashPanda »

hst wrote:
altiplano wrote: I always look after the tip for the whole crew on Narita layovers...
Japan and China are no tipping cultures (at least at my Asian airline). :wink:
Same in North America, if you ask management.

Last edited by TrashPanda on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

As I said, I got the tip when in Japan...

We do tip in China though... unless maybe the guy almost crashes us or something...

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I think its time there was a tip jar outside the cockpit. Good landing deserves a 20% gratuity on ticket price I think.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

co-joe wrote:I think its time there was a tip jar outside the cockpit. Good landing deserves a 20% gratuity on ticket price I think.
Can we take money out if you hammer it on, and compress a few vertebrae?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

North Shore wrote:
co-joe wrote:I think its time there was a tip jar outside the cockpit. Good landing deserves a 20% gratuity on ticket price I think.
Can we take money out if you hammer it on, and compress a few vertebrae?
Absolutely not. This is a one way street here buddy. ;) If we crash and you have to sift through charred metal to find your suitcase, you get your ticket refunded though...as credit towards future travels only, must be used within one year of the date of purchase, conditions apply.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

altiplano wrote:We do tip in China though... unless maybe the guy almost crashes us or something...
This is the YUL rule too....

planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by planett »

I thought you meant Space Shuttle drivers! Do they need tips?

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Donald wrote:
altiplano wrote:We do tip in China though... unless maybe the guy almost crashes us or something...
This is the YUL rule too....
The only time I refused to pay a tip was in YUL... either floored or hard on the brakes and taking corners too fast... no tip for you!

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

should we tip flight attendants?
Expect that soon to be an option when booking a trip. Listed as a "fee" or "surcharge"...

And never heard about this tipping in China. It is actually officially discourage there, if not actually against the law.
It is typically only the taxi drivers who have cottoned on to this tipping thing from us, and who perceive it as absolute stupidity on our part.
although, in the last year, the restaurants that cater to expats have done a work around, and quietly post a little item on their menus.....15% service charge added to all prices.....and people still add a tip.
Sometimes North Americans have tipitits. ie. the need to feel better about themselves by giving tips.

The card machines offer ..suggestions....starting typically at 15%. I guess nowadays we need a machine to suggest to us the proper amount to tip. And when the issue comes up on the TV shows, the experts suggest 30% is a more accurate number.
It is absolutely bizarre.
And we, here in Canada, even tip on the taxes on the bill. Think about that next time the little machine offers suggestions for the tip amount...It includes the meal taxes.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
g5
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by g5 »

I used to tip 15% and then a friend of mine told me it's 20 now. What's 20% of a free shuttle bus ride? Tipping culture in America has gone mad. I was in a Starbucks and the guy in front of me gave them $10 for $5 coffee. It's not even table service for fucks sake. Maybe I've been living in England too long but I just don't get it anymore.

seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

Tipping culture drives me crazy, even when I worked a job where I got tips I hated the whole idea of it. Provide amazing service and get no tip, then provide terrible service and get a huge tip. It made me pull my hair out.
We get no allowance and you can tell. Shuttle drivers don't care about our crews, they are always late and we are the last priority every time. If we get exceptional service I'll tip $1 for an airport ride. If I take the shuttle to do something fun on a layover like go to a restaurant or a mall I will tip as that is a personal trip where the service is being provided to me not my company. Also I want to make sure they come back to pick me up!

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”