German airlines to scrap requirement for 2 people in cockpit

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: German airlines to scrap requirement for 2 people in cockpit

Post by 3down&loct »

Biggest concern I have of the 2 person rule is the predictability.
Pretty dam obvious now when the pilot will be coming out (FA takes position to block) making it that much easier to storm the cockpit with a choreographed sequence which has been practiced over and over.
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

3down&loct wrote:Biggest concern I have of the 2 person rule is the predictability.
Pretty dam obvious now when the pilot will be coming out (FA takes position to block) making it that much easier to storm the cockpit with a choreographed sequence which has been practiced over and over.
It's also pretty damn obvious the door's going to open when there's a pilot standing there on the outside trying to get in. Not only that, but anyone with trouble on their mind gets a convenient 2 minute warning when the pilot comes out. I don't know how to avoid that, but there's always closing the curtain and blocking the galley with a cart.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

Rookie,
Our procedures used to require a blocker before re-entering the cockpit (not sure about yours). However, before coming out, there was no indication that you were coming out. You simply observed through the peep hole to ensure the area was free and then quickly left, and thereby the predictability was essentially non existent.
It seems many aviation authorities out there are starting to agree.
Do you feel the new procedure is better?
Curious.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

3down&loct wrote:Rookie,
Our procedures used to require a blocker before re-entering the cockpit (not sure about yours). However, before coming out, there was no indication that you were coming out. You simply observed through the peep hole to ensure the area was free and then quickly left, and thereby the predictability was essentially non existent.
Curious.
Yes I do. It prevents a pilot from being deliberately locked out of the FD.

If a blocker is effective when the pilot goes back in - even having given any threat a 2 minute warning - why wouldn't it be when the pilot comes out?

FADEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FADEC »

One of the dumbest things is having a washroom right outside the cockpit door; as on the 777, and not putting another secure door outside that washroom.

Why are pax ever in that area?

I absolutely agree that pilots leaving/entering the flight deck should be unpredictable; not as a choreographed event as per the "regulatios" made by those with no practical experience in the business.

(Ex 777 Driver)

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

Who's the bigger threat, a crazy passenger or a crazy pilot (or a crazy flight attendant)?

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

Rookie,
"even having given any threat a 2 minute warning - why wouldn't it be when the pilot comes out? "

Not sure what you mean here.

If you run the numbers on the chances of being locked out of the cockpit by a loonie, and still feel threatened then it would probably be in any pilot's interest never to fly again.
The odds of having a serious accident, such as CFIT,etc are many times higher than having a pilot trying to do the same thing that happened on German Wings.
It is very obvious since new rules have been implemented that pilot's that I fly with are drinking far less water and taking far less breaks than before. Not healthy.
As well I honestly believe the current practice is far more of a threat to a terrorist event then what we had before.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

"even having given any threat a 2 minute warning - why wouldn't it be when the pilot comes out? "

Not sure what you mean here.
It's very simple. Under your plan a pilot jumps out of the cockpit surprising any would be terrorist with the randomness of his exit foiling his plot to rush the cockpit. Not being a total dummy however he alerts his colleagues that the pilot will be going back in 2 minutes later. They can watch as the pilot does whatever they do to enter, then rush him just as the door unlocks.

What good is randomness coming out when it telegraphs that he's going back in 2 minutes later?

I did actually run the numbers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_by_pilot

Now, how many times has the cockpit been successfully rushed since 9/11?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Curious.
Whos gonna block for you when you only have one FA and they are in the cockpit? Bigger AC that isn't a problem but with smaller regional planes it's an issue.

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

Rookie, you said
It's very simple. Under your plan a pilot jumps out of the cockpit surprising any would be terrorist with the randomness of his exit foiling his plot to rush the cockpit. Not being a total dummy however he alerts his colleagues that the pilot will be going back in 2 minutes later. They can watch as the pilot does whatever they do to enter, then rush him just as the door unlocks.

What good is randomness coming out when it telegraphs that he's going back in 2 minutes later?

I did actually run the numbers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_by_pilot

Now, how many times has the cockpit been successfully rushed since 9/11?

So 18 Suicides.
Flights currently per year- 36 500 000. (over past 5 yrs = 182 500 000)
Lets say on low end average 18 400 000 flights per year from 1980-2012 = 588 800 000 flights + 182 500 000 Total=771 300 000 flights
Odds it will happen are 1 in 42 850 000 flights (rough calculation of course) I think you get the picture. I can't even figure out percentage as my calculator comes up with values so small I don't know how to write it.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Since 9/11 and the advent of the reinforced cockpit door there are two known cases of pilots crashing airplanes after locking the other pilot out:

LAM 470, and;
German Wings 9525

183 dead.

That doesn't count the suspected cases of the same thing like Malaysia 370, nor the cases before 9/11 like Egyptair and Silkair.

Number of successful airborne cockpit breaches since 9/11...zero.

Deaths...zero.

I don't know, you tell me. At what point does reality supercede probabilities?

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

The removal of this rule is due to a threat assessment.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Jack Klumpus wrote:The removal of this rule is due to a threat assessment.
Nonsense. If that were true the flight deck would be permanently closed to everyone except operating pilots.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Personally, I'm amazed that Swiss/LH hasn't hired an A320 pilot from Canada, who apparently knows far more about such things than they do. What is WRONG with them? :mrgreen:

Myself, I'll celebrate a small, rare victory for common sense. And hope it's contagious.

But it's hard to cure stupid when people actually seem to prefer to be ill.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Do you have something other than insults to offer this discussion?

For instance how is safety decreased by having a foolproof, reliable, alternate means of accessing the flight deck?. How is safety compromised by a FA being in the flight deck while the other pilot is in the bathroom, when it hasn't been for seven decades previously for any other reason? And won't be after this rule goes away? Why is a FA commuting full time in the flight deck not a hazard, but is when they're in there for 2 minutes in compliance of this rule? Same goes for pilots who aren't part of the operating crew?

Like you I'm looking for some common sense here.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

Rockie wrote:
Jack Klumpus wrote:The removal of this rule is due to a threat assessment.
Nonsense. If that were true the flight deck would be permanently closed to everyone except operating pilots.
What are you basing your "nonsense' comment on? Just personal opinion I'd say.

I'm basing mine on information from Lufthansa, but who knows, perhaps they are wrong and you are correct.

It's too bad you only saw a threat assessment equal to locking down the door forever. There is a thing called risk mitigation, which we do before every flight. Using your logic, we won't fly at all (never open the door). But we do fly, and we discuss how we will mitigate our threat. Them not using a cabin crew inside to relieve us, is a threat mitigation.

Does that better help you understand how your reply to me was completely useless?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Other airlines are choosing to keep the rule. Explain that.
Jack Klumpus wrote:It's too bad you only saw a threat assessment equal to locking down the door forever. There is a thing called risk mitigation, which we do before every flight.
Explain the threat to having a flight attendant in the cockpit for two minutes, and measure that threat against having people in the flight deck for other purposes than relieving pilots to go to the bathroom.

I had a flight attendant in the cockpit yesterday commuting, could just as well have been a pilot I've never met before. Explain why that isn't a threat, but having a FA in the cockpit for two minutes for a bathroom break is.

I see a threat with mental health combined with a non-breachable door backed up by actual real world events that I've listed. Explain some good reason not to have this rule.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

"Other airlines are choosing to keep the rule. Explain that."
What's to explain? Are you suggesting that every airline has identical policies in all areas? Good grief. This proposed change came out, what, 3 minutes ago?

Attempting to convince you of anything is pointless, Rockie. A true debate is only possible if one has a mind open to the possibility of being changed. I've expressed my satisfaction with some sanity prevailing, and am moving on. Will this change of rule spread? I hope so. Of course, there will be outfits that cling to outdated procedures. That's always been the case.

So, if it's some sort of justification you truly want (doubtful), why not contact Swiss/Lufthansa/Austrian directly and ask them for a more satisfactory explanation as to their decision than we AvCanada minions can possibly hope to provide? I'm sure they'd be delighted to engage with you and receive the benefit of your uh, logic.

Swiss International Air Lines Ltd.
Media Relations
P.O. Box, 8058 Zurich Airport
Switzerland
Phone:+41 848 773 773
media@swiss.com
SWISS.COM

Please post their reply for all of us.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

You haven't presented any argument Complex. You've just blathered on about how nonsensical the rule is without explaining why. Explain why an alternate means of accessing the cockpit is bad. Explain why a FA in the cockpit is a threat when it has never been before this rule. Explain why having people in the cockpit commuting or on pass travel is not a threat, but a FA in there for a bathroom break is.

Come on Complex, I challenge you to use your brain instead of your fragile ego and insults, and let's have a discussion.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

Rockie, I will not explain why no other airline hasn't changed their policy. This is not detrimental to this conversation, nor is there any reason for it. Why does lufthansa always say their callsign first and then the clearance? No other airline does that. Right.

Why is a flight attendant a threat? By reading your replies, it's clear that you haven't recognized the possible threat. I'm not the one who will post it online. As far as what I said earlier, I'll say it again. It was due to a threat assessment.

Ask some lufthansa pilots, they'll explain it to you.

I'm trying really hard to explain but you're just not accepting anything.
Rockie wrote:
I had a flight attendant in the cockpit yesterday commuting, could just as well have been a pilot I've never met before. Explain why that isn't a threat, but having a FA in the cockpit for two minutes for a bathroom break is.
Really? A flight attendant is the same as a pilot sitting in that seat? I don't agree at all. How long did it take that flight attendant to be in that seat? From day one of their career? Couple of weeks of ground training? Howbout the pilot. To become an air Canada pilot. How many years doea it take for someone to be a pilot at air Canada?

You see, the two are very different, hence you're logic and thought are wrong. And for this reason, you are not understanding the threat.

Also, this is not yet policy at lufthansa.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”